Negativity - Whats Going ON!

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

Negativity - Whats Going ON!

by SLAMMED » 13 Oct 2008 21:34

Iv been reading alot of threads about the future of Reading, and theres a common theme. Compared to this time in the 05/05 season, alot of people are talking quite negative about what will happen in the months and years to come.

1st- Coppells future. people are talking about him leaving in the summer, his heart not being in the game anymore and him taking us as far he can.

2nd- Players people say we WILL sell in january. In 05/06, there was barely any talk about holding onto players.

3rd- Everything else in general.

I want to know what makes this year different to 05/06. Were doing well, were scoring goals and winning games, so why is every thread i read about us so negative. Threads like "doing badly after international breaks", "who will replace doyle in january" and "coppells heart isnt in the game".

It seems to me that, even if we win the league this season, or even get promoted, it wont be as near as special as the first time, and thats quite dissapointing. The focus should be on us doing well, not what can go wrong.

Comments please...

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

Re: Negativity - Whats Going ON!

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 13 Oct 2008 21:48

Not sure its negativity just a bit of trepidation -

Having been in the perm league it has shown that a number of our players are well suited - so its obvious that we now become the hunted rather than the hunters - you only have to see Little, Kitson and Sonko making a quick return to think that we still have our best players, on form, at the club so can only ber a matter of time

With regards to Coppell - he was going toleave in summer, he has openly said he wants a break from football - I think if he takes us back up, he will feel he has righted a wrong. I think he will then leave with an impressive legacy in his wake

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 13 Oct 2008 21:49

Things like 106 points could never happen twice in a row.It like what are the chances of Doyle scoring another hatrick after his one vs Palace.....o wait..

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 13 Oct 2008 21:50

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Not sure its negativity just a bit of trepidation -

Having been in the perm league it has shown that a number of our players are well suited - so its obvious that we now become the hunted rather than the hunters - you only have to see Little, Kitson and Sonko making a quick return to think that we still have our best players, on form, at the club so can only ber a matter of time

With regards to Coppell - he was going toleave in summer, he has openly said he wants a break from football - I think if he takes us back up, he will feel he has righted a wrong. I think he will then leave with an impressive legacy in his wake

i can see what you mean. Its just depressing that in the world of football, little teams like us become victims of their own success.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Oct 2008 21:57

SLAMMED Iv been reading alot of threads about the future of Reading, and theres a common theme. Compared to this time in the 05/05 season, alot of people are talking quite negative about what will happen in the months and years to come.

1st- Coppells future. people are talking about him leaving in the summer, his heart not being in the game anymore and him taking us as far he can.

2nd- Players people say we WILL sell in january. In 05/06, there was barely any talk about holding onto players.

I want to know what makes this year different to 05/06. Were doing well, were scoring goals and winning games, so why is every thread i read about us so negative. Threads like "doing badly after international breaks", "who will replace doyle in january" and "coppells heart isnt in the game".

It seems to me that, even if we win the league this season, or even get promoted, it wont be as near as special as the first time, and thats quite dissapointing. The focus should be on us doing well, not what can go wrong.

Comments please...

1) Coppell has publically stated he could do with a break and his contract is up at the end of the season. If we get promoted he may stay, otherwise he's almost certainly gone. It's realism. It's not a particularly good thing, nor is it a hugely bad thing, provided we get a decent successor.

2) Last time around we had very very few proven players. Hahnemann (keeper not a position where much trading happens comparatively) Shorey unproven enough not to get the sort of interest which would have pulled him loose. Harper, not an eyecatching performer and same as Shorey. Kitson unlikley to start at a club at a higher level, publically said he'd be foolish to go anywhere. Little, been there and made no impact, Sidwell see Shorey.

This time we have desirable players of proven premier league quality in Harper, Doyle, SHunt, Rosenior(maybe) and Hahnemann (now a bit old to go).

3) you might need to be a bit more specific

We've just come off a big downer of a season, we hadn't had one like it for 5 or 6 years in 05/06.

Nothing will ever be as special as the first time.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 13 Oct 2008 22:04

I blame the credit crunch.

Spudulika

by Spudulika » 13 Oct 2008 22:30

SLAMMED Iv been reading alot of threads about the future of Reading, and theres a common theme. Compared to this time in the 05/05 season, alot of people are talking quite negative about what will happen in the months and years to come.

Comments please...

Long standing supporters compare where we are now to where we came from in the lower divisions and are typical RTG fans. They know you can bounce back after the disappointment of relegation and even when we're doing badly, they compare the team to that playing in front of crowds of 3000 and therefore feel positive at the moment.

For anyone who started supporting Reading after 1998 this was the first time they've experienced relegation, after years of steady progress. These people compare our current situation to being in the Premiership, see us on a downwards slope, and are therefore currently negative about our prospects. However, these fans were positive until last year.

Some people wear STGs whatever our situation and always feel negative.

This is usually known as "the general theory of negativity" ;-)

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Oct 2008 22:40

Spudulika

Comments please...

Long standing supporters compare where we are now to where we came from in the lower divisions and are typical RTG fans. They know you can bounce back after the disappointment of relegation and even when we're doing badly, they compare the team to that playing in front of crowds of 3000 and therefore feel positive at the moment.

For anyone who started supporting Reading after 1998 this was the first time they've experienced relegation, after years of steady progress. These people compare our current situation to being in the Premiership, see us on a downwards slope, and are therefore currently negative about our prospects. However, these fans were positive until last year.

Some people wear STGs whatever our situation and always feel negative.

This is usually known as "the general theory of negativity" ;-)

And some of us started supporting Reading in 1992 and experienced the gut-wrenching fall from the play-off final to relegation in 1998. I think these group of supporters worried that we would experience a similar fall from grace this time. It's not happening so far and this just makes me more positive :D

'Av Some Of That!

by 'Av Some Of That! » 14 Oct 2008 00:50

I want 107 points or Coppell and the rest of the squad can feck off!

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 14 Oct 2008 07:28

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Having been in the perm league

Do all the supporters of the teams in this league look like this?

true*blue*loyal*royal

by true*blue*loyal*royal » 14 Oct 2008 08:57

Well i personally think, that when things happen for a second time, it's never as special and exciting as the first time around.
Not saying that i don't want us in the premier league-by all means who wouldn't?! I'm just saying the 05/06 season can never be beaten in terms of the amount of goals we scored (although, the way we're going right now, could well end up with 100+ goals come May :D ), how many points we ended up with at the end of the season- record breaking, but no one knows if we'll actually do it again this season, would be nice. I guess, also, because in the 05/06 season, we didn't know what the premiership would be like for us or on the players that other 'bigger' clubs saw how the likes of Shorey, Sidwell, Little, Sonko, Kitson could play, so because we've tasted the premiership, and Doyle (example) has experience at that level, and tbh he is pretty damn good atm, it shouldn't surprise anyone that he has intrest from other clubs. Idk, maybe he'll give us his best years and do a Kitson :lol:
I don't want Doyle going, we'll need to pray to keep hold of him! i dont think he'll go....the grass isn't greener on the other side! Ask Kits and Sonks!

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 14 Oct 2008 09:08

Comments please...

These things aren't necessarily negative. If Coppell does go in the Summer, a new manager could revitalise the team - hopefully for a new assault in the premiership. Letting players go for millions allows new players to come in - like the academy lads - and puts us in a good position to buy others - like Noel Hunt and Armstrong (if Kitson and Shorey hadn't left they might not even be in the team).

So don't worry.

This is my first experience of relegation and so far it's been quite good really, better than I expected.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 14 Oct 2008 09:11

Comments please...

in all seriousness were you a supporter pre Pardew days? If so then you should understand that losing your key players can lead to an unbreakable downward spiral. If you were not, then thats no crime but dont get too confident yet.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 Oct 2008 10:10

coppells comments about a break and leaving came towards the end of a pretty horrible season,
he was going to quit, but changed his mind, and has since said that hes loving managing reading, loving coaching the kids, and giving them their chance in the team, he is revitalised etc
so in that respect im more hopeful than i was that he will stay on at least another year if we go up
if not he'll be offski i think.

that said dirk seems convinced he'll leave regardless, and its not wise to ignore dirkers!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 Oct 2008 10:31

It's obvious that SLAMMED has been reading Schards' thread. Why start a new thread?

Ian Royal 1) Coppell has publically stated he could do with a break

He said that last season. He might have changed his mind now that things are going well?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Oct 2008 12:35

brendywendy coppells comments about a break and leaving came towards the end of a pretty horrible season,
he was going to quit, but changed his mind, and has since said that hes loving managing reading, loving coaching the kids, and giving them their chance in the team, he is revitalised etc
so in that respect im more hopeful than i was that he will stay on at least another year if we go up

that said dirk seems convinced he'll leave regardless, and its not wise to ignore dirkers!

Not quite sure about that - it's my feeling more than anything I know specifically, but I do think I have gained a pretty good understanding of SC and what makes him tick. From teh things he said and done I just think he doesn't fancy trying to compete in the PL with a club the size of Reading and with our comparatively limited resources.

But for me, him leaving if we go up is a positive thing, not a negative thing. His talent is taking clubs up, not keeping clubs up, so promotion then the appointment of a manager better suited to the task is the best possible outcome of all.

That's not to say he gets sacked - I'm sure we'd all part of friendly terms, but it would be a sad but necessary day. We'd all owe him such a debt of gratitude that giving him all our worldly possessions and letting him sleep with our wives/girlfriends/daugthers still wouldn't balance the debt.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 Oct 2008 12:43

Dirk Gently
brendywendy coppells comments about a break and leaving came towards the end of a pretty horrible season,

Not quite sure about that - it's my feeling more than anything I know specifically, but I do think I have gained a pretty good understanding of SC and what makes him tick. From teh things he said and done I just think he doesn't fancy trying to compete in the PL with a club the size of Reading and with our comparatively limited resources.

But for me, him leaving if we go up is a positive thing, not a negative thing. His talent is taking clubs up, not keeping clubs up, so promotion then the appointment of a manager better suited to the task is the best possible outcome of all.

That's not to say he gets sacked - I'm sure we'd all part of friendly terms, but it would be a sad but necessary day. We'd all owe him such a debt of gratitude that giving him all our worldly possessions and letting him sleep with our wives/girlfriends/daugthers still wouldn't balance the debt.

id still prefer him to finish by getting us into europe
but you are right, either way id let him shag the missus

Starry Blue Hooped Wonder

by Starry Blue Hooped Wonder » 14 Oct 2008 13:11

brendywendy id still prefer him to finish by getting us into europe
but you are right, either way id let him shag the missus

You are Charles Saatchi AICMFP

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 Oct 2008 13:20

Dirk Gently the appointment of a manager better suited to the task is the best possible outcome of all.

I'm not fully convinced. I can't see a better manager than Coppell wanting to take up the job.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 14 Oct 2008 13:21

SLAMMED 2nd- Players people say we WILL sell in january. In 05/06, there was barely any talk about holding onto players.

In O5/06 we were not, as far as the media concerned, supposed to be a good team with good players. They were not provenm in the premiership

Now a number of those players have spent 2 seasons there. We are much more high profile and therefore have become a target.