Most teams are frightened of us

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

Most teams are frightened of us

by ankeny » 08 Nov 2008 11:08

Reading the away previews when teams are coming here they seem to build us up like supermen."Best team,scoring for fun,really a prem team" are some of the quotes opposing managers say about us.We are built up like a team of world beaters sot he question then is,are most teams beaten in there heads before the games are kicked off therefore they have no confidence

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Most teams are frightened of us

by rg6royal » 08 Nov 2008 11:09

We have just come down from the Premiership, most teams are likely to say it's going to be really tough.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Nov 2008 12:02

In theory it takes the pressure off the team coming to play us because they're reducing expectation of a win for them, whilst trying to increase determination to put in a good showing and turn over the "big boys".

It can back fire and create a damage limitation mentality where the other team comes out thinking they're inferior and are going to lose though. Which becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 08 Nov 2008 12:21

Get to the minds of players first and it's not half as hard to unsettle the opposition. Same in boxing and other sports. Club managers play mind game all the time. Wenger and Fergie do it to each other all the time. Arrogance plays a part also (Jose). Though i would like to add that the only player we don't have currently playing for us who displays this on the pitch is......

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 09 Nov 2008 23:38

Our home form would make people frightened. They don't seem to mind if were going there. But at home were formidable.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Nov 2008 04:09

Ian Royal In theory it takes the pressure off the team coming to play us because they're reducing expectation of a win for them, whilst trying to increase determination to put in a good showing and turn over the "big boys".

It can back fire and create a damage limitation mentality where the other team comes out thinking they're inferior and are going to lose though. Which becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy.

Well said. Can work either way although I think most - like QPR - see it as a cup final and therefore are charged up to win every ball, defend and counter like crazy.

In balance it probably works against us. Yet we're still managing to demolish teams.

Unfortunately our away form is bad enough to ruin our confidence but not good enough for our players to see every away game as a cup final (except for You'veLetUsDownAgain away).

Shevchenko

by Shevchenko » 10 Nov 2008 11:35

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Well said. Can work either way although I think most - like QPR - see it as a cup final and therefore are charged up to win every ball, defend and counter like crazy.

In balance it probably works against us. Yet we're still managing to demolish teams.

Its amazing how well we just completely overload teams. They come, and either play a fast paced 4-4-2 and hope to outpace us (Not gonna happen) by keeping the ball moving (Like Burnley, QPR and to a lesser extent Derby) or they put 5 across the midfield and just try and stop balls moving through their own deffence. Either way, we seem to have adapted now to be able to cope with teams playing different strategies against us. I seem to remember a few games in the past (like Blackburn at home, christmas 2 years ago) where they changed tactics and we just couldn't cope.I think we're in a better position now, than we were last time, as i think we have alot more technical and tactical knowledge.

Amongst the sheep

by Amongst the sheep » 11 Nov 2008 12:34

I think we are to a certain extent seen as a bit of a Chelsea/Man Utd of the Championship. The Bristol City comments were on the line of 'Reading are Premiership in all but name'. Therefore some teams are not expecting much anyway a bit like our approach with the so called big 4 last two seasons.

Y25

by Y25 » 11 Nov 2008 16:21

Sheffield Utd and Cardiff City won't be

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Nov 2008 17:00

Y25 Sheffield Utd and Cardiff City won't be

their fans certainly do

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 12 Nov 2008 09:35

Interesting (to me, though I am something of statto saddo) is that we are ranked second in the division against the top half, and 14th against the bottom half (http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/teams/Reading.html).

So maybe the opposition fans should be scared of us if they are any good, but less so if they are crap.

Given that we also concede 75% of goals in the second half, and indeed 38% in the last 10 mins, does this just confirm that creeping feeling some of us have that over-confidence is the biggest threat to this team? To me the Doncaster game sums this aspect of our game up perfectly. Too easy, and we nearly blew it.

That for me is the biggest difference between this year and the 106 pointers. We currently lack a ruthless, relentless streak. I reckon that oppo fans are right to fear RFC, when hot, we are peerless in this division. But unless the team really focus, we could end up tossing away enough points to miss the top two and end up in Play-Off Hell.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 12 Nov 2008 09:57

Tommy Youlden's Ears
Given that we also concede 75% of goals in the second half, and indeed 38% in the last 10 mins, does this just confirm that creeping feeling some of us have that over-confidence is the biggest threat to this team? To me the Doncaster game sums this aspect of our game up perfectly. Too easy, and we nearly blew it.

Agree generally with you, although I wouldn't say the Doncaster game was 'easy' - I thought they played very well and put us under pressure. Admittedly their goal came from nowhere and was one of those lack of concentration moments ....

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 12 Nov 2008 11:22

when we are winning we back the team, until we score we don't which is poor really

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 12 Nov 2008 11:52

Tommy Youlden's Ears Interesting (to me, though I am something of statto saddo) is that we are ranked second in the division against the top half, and 14th against the bottom half (http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/teams/Reading.html).

So maybe the opposition fans should be scared of us if they are any good, but less so if they are crap.

That for me is the biggest difference between this year and the 106 pointers. We currently lack a ruthless, relentless streak. I reckon that oppo fans are right to fear RFC, when hot, we are peerless in this division. But unless the team really focus, we could end up tossing away enough points to miss the top two and end up in Play-Off Hell.

V. good post. Still I think team cohesion and confidence is improving with every game. Hopefully this will allow us to avoid the unnecessary lapses which have crept in at crucial moments.

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1