How will Convey be remembered

Cpl Jones Dont panic

How will Convey be remembered

by Cpl Jones Dont panic » 16 Nov 2008 11:55

With Convey unlikley to ever play for the first team again, how will he be remembered?

If like me it will be for one of the best goals at Madstat, the 75 yard run against Millwall. But sadly one great season, the rest best forgotton. My never ending memory will be Convey being put on his arse at Chelsea by SWP, who looked shocked it could ever happen.

A world cup player, but never proved his worth with us

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How will Convey be remembered

by Sun Tzu » 16 Nov 2008 11:56

Why do you think he'll never play for the first team again ?

Cpl Jones Dont panic

by Cpl Jones Dont panic » 16 Nov 2008 12:04

Just based on he seems destined to stay in the reserves, with James Henry being above him in the pecking order. It seems Kelly or even Rosiner would be prefered to Convey.

I felt at the start of the season Convey was given the make or break chance to prove he had recovered, and he never took it. Copps seems to be looking forward and not back at the past, or do you disagree?

Also do you really see Convey being offered a new contract at the end of the season/

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 16 Nov 2008 12:08

Convey has been so unlucky here, surprised that no one has taken him on loan, needs to play real games IMHO, to get back to full fitness, and become competetive again.

Do Peterborough need a left sided player??

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 16 Nov 2008 12:12

Convey surely would have to break into the 1st team squad to get an extension, certainly for one more than a year long.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 16 Nov 2008 12:23

The guy has some real talent, surely someone can take him on loan for a month or two to try find his form?

That Millwall game, followed by the remainder of the season was truly glorious, you don't just lose raw talent that easily..

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 16 Nov 2008 12:26

Sadly I suspct that Convey will never don a first team shirt again, he struggled to gain anything near his best after his long term injury, and yes I tend to agree that a loan out would be very beneficial to him, however I think that any chance of a new contract is dead in the woods, remember him ?? that 25 yarder at Burnley, quality shot !

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 16 Nov 2008 12:36

Cpl Jones Dont panic Just based on he seems destined to stay in the reserves, with James Henry being above him in the pecking order. It seems Kelly or even Rosiner would be prefered to Convey.

Convey plays on the left. Henry on the right. HTH.

The odds of Liam Rosenior or Julian Kelly being preferred at left wing to Convey aren't exactly small either.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Nov 2008 12:39

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Cpl Jones Dont panic Just based on he seems destined to stay in the reserves, with James Henry being above him in the pecking order. It seems Kelly or even Rosiner would be prefered to Convey.

Convey plays on the left. Henry on the right. HTH.

The odds of Liam Rosenior or Julian Kelly being preferred at left wing to Convey aren't exactly small either.

Kelly mostly played left back for the reserves, but I agree that Convey would be ahead of him, as would Bozanic and HRK.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 16 Nov 2008 12:52

If - and it's a big if - Shunt shoves off in Jan then what have we got on the left? QED.

Besides, have a gander at the 106 year highlights and tell me how many assists - and goals - Convey scored. It amazed me when I looked at the vid a few weeks back the damage that he and Little wrought over unsuspecting defenders.

Cpl Jones Dont panic

by Cpl Jones Dont panic » 16 Nov 2008 13:07

But is his heart in getting a new contract or moving back home. It is very rare that you see him at Madstat, when he is not playing. Unlike Marcus, he has never had a family based over here. I should imagine that he is not the greatest fan and vica versa of Copps.

If Shunt moves on, what is the betting that the replacement is lined up and it will not be Convey, given time to earn a contact

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 16 Nov 2008 13:12

This topic is most interesting from the point of view of what will we do if Shunty goes?

Despite the fact he has not played so well recently he is still absolutely crucial to our championship challenge. Could a rejuvenated Convey take us to the title or would we have to sign someone?

Cpl Jones Dont panic

by Cpl Jones Dont panic » 16 Nov 2008 13:23

I expect the club have already put Irish left wing onto Google

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 16 Nov 2008 13:24

Archie's penalty This topic is most interesting from the point of view of what will we do if Shunty goes?

Despite the fact he has not played so well recently he is still absolutely crucial to our championship challenge. Could a rejuvenated Convey take us to the title or would we have to sign someone?

Alternatively, James Henry is doing intensive practice in crossing with his left foot.....

bootboy

by bootboy » 16 Nov 2008 13:33

Alternatively, Kebe gets his wish to play on his preffered left wing side and Henry comes in on the right.....

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 16 Nov 2008 13:44

To answer the initial question, though - the one thing that will be remembered about Bobby Convey long after he's gone (whenever that might be) is that goal against Millwall.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 16 Nov 2008 14:47

Or the goal against Burnley.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 16 Nov 2008 15:50

Goal against millwall and some banter with me in a friendly at a pre season game at didcot.
Quite liked convey and did/does have some real potential, unfortunately 1 good season out of 4 will mean he'll probably be moving on in the summer, id immagine back to the US as there league is definitely stronger than when he left.
I hope he stays but realistically he probably wants to go, i'll remember him as being a figure in our most successful season ever, written into RFC history and thats how he should be remembered.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 16 Nov 2008 16:45

Who?

dellwoodboy

by dellwoodboy » 16 Nov 2008 16:54

I have always thought of Convey as an enigma. He was a dead loss in his first season I remember seeing him in what I believe was his first start at Plymouth in November and he was absolutly terrible(Mind you the whole side was terrible that day though we scraped a 2-2 draw very undeservedly) Ther always seemed to be something unusually wrong with him. (Didnt he have some problem with artifical grass.) Then of course you come to the 05/06 season and what a revelation it was as if we had signed a brand new player and he was without doubt one of the main reasons we had our record breaking season. But then virtually nothing. Has he scored a league goal since that season? I know he has suffered a lot of injuries but whenever he gets a chance now there seems to be no end product and he appears decidedly lightweight knocked off the ball easily and unable to beat the full back. You do wonder where all that class he showed in 05/06 has gone. If he does leave at the end of this season Iam sure all supporters will remember him being a very important part of our title winning team a team whose names will always be remembered very well by all supporters.