Adam Federici: Is He Good Enough?

170 posts

Do you think Adam can perform well enough to keep Hahnemann out of the team once he is fit?

Yes
70%
No
11%
We'll see
20%

Total votes: 209
SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Adam Federici: Is He Good Enough?

by SteveRoyal » 10 Dec 2008 14:43

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 28,00.html

OS Goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann injured himself in our 1-0 home win over Blackpool on Tuesday night, and he could be out for a few weeks according to boss Steve Coppell.

Marcus hurt himself while preparing to kick downfield in the 70th minute, but pulled up with a calf problem and had to be replaced by Australian Adam Federici.

Steve Coppell My immediate reaction is that I'd imagine he will be out of action for a few weeks.

The question is, can he perform well enough to keep Marcus out of the team?
Can he perform at this level?

Debate. :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Adam Federici: Is He Good Enough?

by Hoop Blah » 10 Dec 2008 14:45

He's not up to it.

Concedes far too many goals that a keeper at this level should prevent.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Dec 2008 14:56

I think he's good enough.

The next few weeks will tell whether he is, and will probably be make or break for him at this club.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 10 Dec 2008 14:59

Royal Rother I think he's good enough.

The next few weeks will tell whether he is, and will probably be make or break for him at this club.

agreed on the 2nd paragraph.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 10 Dec 2008 15:03

Will probably make or break our season as well, what with the 6 pointer against brum coming up!!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Dec 2008 15:05

Ben Foster - emergency loan

European games over until the New Year and Kuszak as cover for Van Der Sar. SAF rates him but has stated he needs games.

Seems like the obvious answer.

chandog

by chandog » 10 Dec 2008 15:06

i dont think fedders is good enough to keep USA out of the team

although he may have improved a lot recently while out on loan so he could prove himself in the next few crucial games

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 Dec 2008 15:07

I think he is good enough but it will take him time to be top keeper week in week out. I just hope that the RFC faithful will be patient with him if he makes an odd howler.

In reality no chance - many will be baying for his blood even if he only lets just one in during say the next three matches.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 10 Dec 2008 15:19

Southend fans rated him very highly on their fans forum and, aside from 6 mins v Man U, he's done well each time he's played. Let's please give him a chance and some active support and encouragment would be a good thing come Saturday

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Dec 2008 15:25

No real reason to doubt him so far and he's earned rave reviews in League 2.

Games for us have been with supposedly "weaker" sides and its true clean sheets appear to be a rarity for him but its hardly surprising if the defensive unit in front him changes every game and those games are not exactly close together.

Of the goals he's conceded very few have been his fault - yes there's that one v ManU. On the upside he has pulled of some fine saves as well. All we can do is watch and get right behing him and the team.

If we show we're right behind him then that will help the players adjust as well.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Dec 2008 15:28

He (generally) catches very cleanly, has an accurate exocet kick from hands which he releases very quickly, and has proved himself to be an excellent shot-stopper.

Criticism of his positioning might well be justified but I like him and hope his strengths will shine through in the next few weeks.

Hahnemann has a couple of weaknesses but, even with those, has (according to most sensible observers) shown himself to be an excellent 'keeper over the years at even the highest level. Everyone makes mistakes, just look at Van Der Sarr, Robinson, James, Cech etc. etc.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Dec 2008 15:45

He'll me more than fine - my only concern may be what reaction the crowd may give him if he does make a mistake.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Dec 2008 15:50

There is no point in getting in loan keeper in at the moment.

Federici is here and this is looking like his chance show what he can do. To not give him a go would be wrong and make having him here a waste of time.

Personally I don't think he's good enough, but he's been patient and waited for his chance. We have to give it to him to see what he's made of. I don't get the feeling that he's ever looked that solid apart from making some good saves in the cup draw at Utd although I do agree with RR that his distribution is excellent and he can pull off some excellent saves. Pulling off the occassional save is the easy bit of goal keeping, I just don't think he does the rest well enough to be a keeper at this level.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 10 Dec 2008 16:10

Never filled me with confidence. Hopefully the loan spell will have done him well.

Can't help but think if he was that good he wouldn't have been prepared to play 2nd fidle for so long.

Massive few weeks for him, Marcus is gonna go eventually, A Fed needs to show he can replace him long term.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 10 Dec 2008 16:14

Other than posting this quite fantastic photo of A Fed, I agree with Hoop Blah, really.

I think his weaker areas are only going to be improved by a run of games. If he has a long term future here, then this is his chance to take.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 10 Dec 2008 16:15

We wouldn't be allowed an emergency loan as we have another fit keeper at the club to cover Hahneman.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Dec 2008 16:37

I don't think the term 'emergency' has any real meaning at this level and no-one is able to define, let alone bothers to check, what constitutes an 'emergency'.

As to the suggestion of Ben Foster - I thought I'd heard somewhere that he was injured at the moment.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 10 Dec 2008 16:40

RoyalBlue I don't think the term 'emergency' has any real meaning at this level and no-one is able to define, let alone bothers to check, what constitutes an 'emergency'.

As to the suggestion of Ben Foster - I thought I'd heard somewhere that he was injured at the moment.

It really does have to be an emergency loan now as the "loan" window closed a couple of weeks ago, hence why Mikkel Anderson was going on a 7 day loan to Brentford as they have no other keeper to replace Hamer.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 10 Dec 2008 16:41

Yes he is good enough. Have faith.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Dec 2008 16:43

RoyalBlue I don't think the term 'emergency' has any real meaning at this level and no-one is able to define, let alone bothers to check, what constitutes an 'emergency'.

Ben Foster is likely to start for United tonight so don't think he is injured HTH

170 posts