Irish Contingent

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Irish Contingent

by SteveRoyal » 19 Jan 2009 14:24

Apart from Mooney, every single one of our first team/substitute players has been included in the Ireland squad for the upcoming Georgia squad.
Great to see N Hunt get a place straight off this time. Wonder if Trap will start N Hunt and Doyle together? :?

SSN Shay Given (Newcastle), Dean Kiely (West Brom), Keiren Westwood (Coventry), Alex Bruce (Ipswich), Damien Delaney (QPR), John O'Shea (Manchester United), Kevin Foley (Wolves), Paul McShane (Sunderland), Richard Dunne (Manchester City), Stephen Kelly (Birmingham), Steve Finnan (Espanyol), Kevin Kilbane (Hull), Aiden McGeady (Celtic), Damien Duff (Newcastle), Darron Gibson (Manchester United), Glenn Whelan (Stoke), Keith Andrews (Blackburn), Liam Miller (QPR), Stephen Hunt (Reading), Andy Keogh (Wolves), Caleb Folan (Hull), Kevin Doyle (Reading), Robbie Keane (Liverpool), Shane Long (Reading), Noel Hunt (Reading).

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

Re: Irish Contingent

by gazzer, loyal royal » 19 Jan 2009 14:48

i think the irish team at the moment looks quite strong. if only they had another decent centre back and a centre midfielder and they would have arelatively strong team

boy1985

by boy1985 » 19 Jan 2009 14:53

gazzer, loyal royal i think the irish team at the moment looks quite strong. if only they had another decent centre back and a centre midfielder and they would have arelatively strong team

Their best centre mid player won't play for them! would be good to see them all get a run out

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Jan 2009 17:38

gazzer, loyal royal i think the irish team at the moment looks quite strong. if only they had another decent centre back and a centre midfielder and they would have arelatively strong team

Strong?

In what way?

Apart from Given and Keane who in that squad would get anywhere near the England squad?

I think they have a distinctly average side there with a real lack of quality.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 19 Jan 2009 17:44

Hoop Blah

Strong?

In what way?

Apart from Given and Keane who in that squad would get anywhere near the England squad?

Agreed-I reckon the current Irish squad is one of the weakest for the past 20 years.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 19 Jan 2009 18:15

Whats the difference between "Relatively strong" and "quite strong"?

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 19 Jan 2009 18:34

Hoop Blah

Strong?

In what way?

Duff would get in the England squad. He's more consistent than Downing.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 19 Jan 2009 20:13

Boro Downing > Duff > England Downing

Its an irrelevant arguement anyway because Joe Cole is much better than both of them

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Jan 2009 20:25

Y21_Royal Boro Downing > Duff > England Downing

Its an irrelevant arguement anyway because Joe Cole is much better than both of them

And out for the rest of the season.

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 19 Jan 2009 20:31

How long before Tabb joins them, as Trap's scouts will be at the Mad Stad a lot more often than at the Ricoh?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 19 Jan 2009 21:07

shaka's shorts How long before Tabb joins them, as Trap's scouts will be at the Mad Stad a lot more often than at the Ricoh?

I would have thought he has only joined us to get into the Ireland squad :lol:

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 19 Jan 2009 21:23

Kitsondinho
shaka's shorts How long before Tabb joins them, as Trap's scouts will be at the Mad Stad a lot more often than at the Ricoh?

I would have thought he has only joined us to get into the Ireland squad :lol:

:lol: +1

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Jan 2009 22:27

SteveRoyal Apart from Mooney, every single one of our first team/substitute players has been included in the Ireland squad for the upcoming Georgia squad.
Great to see N Hunt get a place straight off this time. Wonder if Trap will start N Hunt and Doyle together? :?

SSN Shay Given (Newcastle), Dean Kiely (West Brom), Keiren Westwood (Coventry), Alex Bruce (Ipswich), Damien Delaney (QPR), John O'Shea (Manchester United), Kevin Foley (Wolves), Paul McShane (Sunderland), Richard Dunne (Manchester City), Stephen Kelly (Birmingham), Steve Finnan (Espanyol), Kevin Kilbane (Hull), Aiden McGeady (Celtic), Damien Duff (Newcastle), Darron Gibson (Manchester United), Glenn Whelan (Stoke), Keith Andrews (Blackburn), Liam Miller (QPR), Stephen Hunt (Reading), Andy Keogh (Wolves), Caleb Folan (Hull), Kevin Doyle (Reading), Robbie Keane (Liverpool), Shane Long (Reading), Noel Hunt (Reading).

Well Done All the Royals, not least Shane Long
Trap is a good judge

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 19 Jan 2009 23:31

Andy Reid > Stephen Hunt but 'running your socks off' is, alas, what's important for us these days and that says an awful lot for the strength of the Irish squad.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 20 Jan 2009 10:30

Starfish Andy Reid > Stephen Hunt but 'running your socks off' is, alas, what's important for us these days and that says an awful lot for the strength of the Irish squad.

I don't entirely agree. Hunty's in there for his dead ball assists as much as running around a lot. Thoses stats do not lie.

Anyway: Fit Andy Reid > Fat Andy Reid.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Jan 2009 13:08

SteveRoyal
Hoop Blah

Strong?

In what way?

Duff would get in the England squad. He's more consistent than Downing.

More consistently injured more like.

If fit and playing week in week out and back to the Duff that was excellent at Blackburn and almost as good at Chelsea then yes. If he's the Duff that's been doing nothing for the last 3 or 4 season (seems like it at least) then I don't think he'd get in the England squad...I'm not sure how Downing has done either to be fair but that's a different arguement all together!

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 20 Jan 2009 13:19

SLAMMED

Whats the difference between "Relatively strong" and "quite strong"?

well relatively as in can push for a constant chance at qualification

quite, can cause the odd shock but always struggling to qualify behind the bigger two teams in the group

ReadingFlan

Reading FC - An Irish Franchise

by ReadingFlan » 20 Jan 2009 15:34

With the arrival of Jay Tabb does anyone get the feeling that Mr madejski is planning to sell Reading off to some rich paddy to become an Irish franchise. The rugby team is already here. Just a thought..........Discuss peasants x

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading FC - An Irish Franchise

by Thaumagurist* » 20 Jan 2009 15:37

Tabb isn't actually 100% an Irishman as he was born in Tooting....!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Reading FC - An Irish Franchise

by Dirk Gently » 20 Jan 2009 15:38

Does that make him a taxi-driver? :wink: