Games in hand

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1

Games in hand

by 1960 » 08 Feb 2009 12:20

By next Saturday we will have two games in hand against Wolves and one on Brum (though not Cardiff). BUT - thses are away games against Derby and Doncaster. The way they are playing at the moment will make these very tricky games, if they keep that form up. We will also therefore be playing thick and fast. Another reason not to want Wolves and Brum to get away from us. Burnley could do us a favour again next weekend when they play Wolves at Turf Moor. Brum have a home game against an improving Nottm Forest - could they snatch a draw?

After that we're back playing again after a two-week break and able to affect our own fate - if we can! (PNE).

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Games in hand

by LUX » 08 Feb 2009 12:53

apparently Forest (who have been picking up points faster than the top three recently) are now down to the bare bones because of injury and will have to field four academy players :o

West Sussex Royal

by West Sussex Royal » 08 Feb 2009 12:58

Actually think it's a good weekend to miss with the internationals midweek - think we would have struggled at Derby.

Wolves will get a point at the most at Burnley & Birmingham could drop points as they are likely to have more players away midweek than Forest.

They are playing with no confidence at all at home and the fans are getting on their back so I fancy Forest to get something

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 08 Feb 2009 20:13

Derby are a much improved team from last season. It should be good.
Although am I right i thinking that Giles Barnes has gone on loan to a Prem team?
That could be useful.

Miles Addison is also looking good.

Games in hand will be great. Hopefully knowing we have even more control of our fate than usual will bring back the form we all love.

The Cube

by The Cube » 08 Feb 2009 23:18

I don't see that the way Derby are playing at the moment has anything to do at all with our game against them in April. Could even say the same about the match against Doncaster which is well over a month away.

Like West Sussex Royal, I think the absence of an away match after the international break is beneficial. And it also means tht the chances of picking up any suspensions for five yellows are reduced.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 08 Feb 2009 23:52

SteveRoyal Derby are a much improved team from last season. It should be good.
Although am I right i thinking that Giles Barnes has gone on loan to a Prem team?
That could be useful.

Miles Addison is also looking good.

Games in hand will be great. Hopefully knowing we have even more control of our fate than usual will bring back the form we all love.

Barnes was loaned out to Fulham I believe....

Would have liked him here tbh...

big fan

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Feb 2009 23:54

LUX apparently Forest (who have been picking up points faster than the top three recently) are now down to the bare bones because of injury and will have to field four academy players :o

I don't think their run is much when examined.

0-0 A Doncaster (19th)
1-0 H Barnsley (21st)
2-2 A Coventry City (14th)
0-1 H Sheffield Utd (5th)
0-0 H Blackpool (15th)
0-2 A Southampton (23rd second bottom)
2-4 H Doncaster FLC (19th)

3-2 A Norwich City (20th)
2-0 A Charlton (24th bottom)
2-0 H Plymouth (17th, in free fall)
2-1 H Sheffield Wed (12th)
0-2 A Cardiff City (4th)
2-2 H QPR (9th)

Last 06 games 4-1-1 13 points but Charlton and Plymouth are crap. (Reading are 2-3-1 9 points but played Wolves, Swansea, QPR and Preston in that 6)
13 games 5-4-4 16-16 19 points (Reading are 26 from 13)

They've had a fair few lowly clubs to play Doncaster, Charlton, Norwich, Plymouth (in free fall), Doncaster again, Southampton.

The highest placed side they've beaten is 12th

Against top third sides they've lost (Cardiff and Sheffield United) and managed a home draw with QPR

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Feb 2009 23:56

Be nice if they can get summat at Brum, tho'

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 09 Feb 2009 13:30

The Cube I don't see that the way Derby are playing at the moment has anything to do at all with our game against them in April. Could even say the same about the match against Doncaster which is well over a month away.

Like West Sussex Royal, I think the absence of an away match after the international break is beneficial. And it also means tht the chances of picking up any suspensions for five yellows are reduced.

I hadn't considered that latter piece but, well, leave it to you.

Still pained that Donny away didn't come off last week, but I can live with Derby away getting moved now that the good sense in it has been laid out for me...although I reckon it'd've been better to see that one moved to St Paddy's, when we've got Donny (and at which time, sez fixtures365, Derby have Blackpool in midweek in any case :roll:).

What I'm getting at is that one game being moved wouldn't've been such a big deal; during the end stages of a long march, two are more than twice as bad --and Derby on 21st April isn't exactly a time at which we'll be delighting in scooting off to play an extra game away.

Or so I gotta reckon. Bottom line: It needs to stop oxf*rd snowing and start warming the oxf*rd up over there.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1