Clutching at straws but . . . .

riverroyal

Clutching at straws but . . . .

by riverroyal » 14 Apr 2009 17:46

Clutching at straws I know, but, and a big but, we could still get second spot if we win all our remaining games and . . . .

Birmingham drop at least one point against Watford away or Preston home. They have their keeper suspended for a game and Ridgwell out for the season so it is possible

and

Cardiff drop at least 3 points against Preston (away), Charlton (away), Ipswich (home), Sheffield Wednesday (away). Tricky away games there so that could be possible, two draws would do.

and

Sheffield United drop at least 3 points against Burnley (away), Swansea (home) and Palase (away). Burnley away looks tricky and again, 2 draws could do

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Clutching at straws but . . . .

by AlexY25 » 14 Apr 2009 17:49

I hope we win all our games so the Birmingham game might have something to play for in it.

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 14 Apr 2009 17:53

Stranger things have happend. It is very unlikely, not the other teams dropping points but us winning all our remaining games, however it could happen. Some positivity at least.

yappy

by yappy » 14 Apr 2009 17:55

Well obviously I hope we win all our games too :roll:

At the moment I couldn't really care less about what the teams above us are doing. Until we start performing and picking up points, it doesn't matter what the other teams are doing.

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 14 Apr 2009 18:12

Looking out of the window................nope, no flying pigs :P

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 14 Apr 2009 18:18

riverroyal Clutching at straws I know, but, and a big but, we could still get second spot if we win all our remaining games and . . . .

Birmingham drop at least one point against Watford away or Preston home. They have their keeper suspended for a game and Ridgwell out for the season so it is possible

and

Cardiff drop at least 3 points against Preston (away), Charlton (away), Ipswich (home), Sheffield Wednesday (away). Tricky away games there so that could be possible, two draws would do.

and

Sheffield United drop at least 3 points against Burnley (away), Swansea (home) and Palase (away). Burnley away looks tricky and again, 2 draws could do

and
enough reading players turn up will to give there all for the last 4 games,
the manager selects the team based on performance and not misplaced loyalty for a change,
we get lucky with the wind, offsides, international breaks and all the other potential excuses that we can lay claim to,
the other side fail to turn up.

in other words - no chance.

John Peel

by John Peel » 14 Apr 2009 18:27

Agreed. Please stop giving us poor deluded folk hope of automatic - it's never going to happen! I'm one of the idiots who'll start believing again! Just let me be safe in the knowledge that we're only going to make the play offs and probably won't get past Cardiff in the semis.

Our confidence will be f*cked after letting a two goal lead slip. We might get one more win this season, but if you think we'll get four you're on something.

As the post says, clutching at straws. Stop it. Fair play for being an optimistic Reading fan though - can't be many of those around anymore.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 14 Apr 2009 18:32

yappy Well obviously I hope we win all our games too :roll:

At the moment I couldn't really care less about what the teams above us are doing. Until we start performing and picking up points, it doesn't matter what the other teams are doing.

This is the best comment on the matter. It's all very well still being in contention, but if you come away from every game let down and disappointed again, being in contention ceases to matter much. Being of an optimistic disposition, I'll go into the next game with hopes of a turn-around - after all, our supposedly shit and worthless squad has put in some great, league-best performances this season - but it's long since that would have counted as "normal service resumed". Normal service has become disappointment.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 14 Apr 2009 19:30

Agreed. I personally believe that 4 wins would see us up automatically, but it seems rather pointless to anticipate when and where the others might slip up. We've won 2 in 13. I can't see any good reason to believe we're going to win 2 of the last 4, let alone 4.

On a more optimistic note: we have supposedly the easiest game of our run-in next up. A good result might knock some sense and confidence back into the side. But probably not.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 14 Apr 2009 19:34

If we make the play offs then I will stick a few quid on us to win them. No-one is going to give us a chance. The support is split I would say 80/20 against promotion. No pressure = promotion. Now, if that isn't clutching at straws...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Apr 2009 19:43

Arch but if you come away from every game let down and disappointed again, being in contention ceases to matter much.

EVERY game?

This year

I wasn't disappointed when we won 4-0 v Watford (but Lita's goal cost me £1,300)

I most definitely wasn't disappointed when we beat Wolves 1-0

The 0-0 at QPR was drab but I was pleased with the point

I wasn't particularly down when we drew 0-0 at home to Preston

Being in Sheffield for the 2-1 win was GREAT!, not at all disappointing

The 2-2 draw at Plymouth wasn't disappointing, and KEBE scored!

The 2-2 home draw with Charlton was only a bit disappointing. We played well-enough and the odd oops equaliser happens!

How can we be disappointed winning 1-0 away at Doncaster?

The 0-0 at Palace was a bit disappointing, but a point away when you finish with ten men has to be a positive

The 0-0 at Coventry, now that was just empty of life and I felt deflated

Only the result disappointed v Sheffield. I enjoyed the game, some great tackles, Matty on fire for an hour, and we were unlucky

Blackpool was only disappointing because we blew it, but a 2-2 draw away at any club would normally be seen as a solid result.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 14 Apr 2009 20:14

Well, snowball, you're more apt to see the bright side than most. I'm somewhat more apt than most, but for me the count since the Wolves game has been 11 disappointing and 2 not. That's not because I'm disappointed when we don't win; I'm quite happy with some draws (Old Trafford August 07 for example), but I couldn't say there are any draws in that spell that I was happy about. I was tempted to be content with the QPR draw until I learned from those who were there what a dire game it was.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 14 Apr 2009 20:55

we have won 4 games in our last 19, since brum away

why do people believe we can win 4 of 4 now?

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 14 Apr 2009 20:57

AlexY25 I hope we win all our games so the Birmingham game might have something to play for in it.

the game v brum we might still have something to play for, if we don't win the next 3 we may still need to beat brum to make the play offs

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 14 Apr 2009 21:03

Snowball
Arch but if you come away from every game let down and disappointed again, being in contention ceases to matter much.

EVERY game?

This year

I wasn't disappointed when we won 4-0 v Watford (but Lita's goal cost me £1,300)

I most definitely wasn't disappointed when we beat Wolves 1-0

The 0-0 at QPR was drab but I was pleased with the point

I wasn't particularly down when we drew 0-0 at home to Preston

Being in Sheffield for the 2-1 win was GREAT!, not at all disappointing

The 2-2 draw at Plymouth wasn't disappointing, and KEBE scored!

The 2-2 home draw with Charlton was only a bit disappointing. We played well-enough and the odd oops equaliser happens!

How can we be disappointed winning 1-0 away at Doncaster?

The 0-0 at Palace was a bit disappointing, but a point away when you finish with ten men has to be a positive

The 0-0 at Coventry, now that was just empty of life and I felt deflated

Only the result disappointed v Sheffield. I enjoyed the game, some great tackles, Matty on fire for an hour, and we were unlucky

Blackpool was only disappointing because we blew it, but a 2-2 draw away at any club would normally be seen as a solid result.

Forest?
Bristol City?
Ipswich?
And how can you say drawing 2-2 at home to the team adrift at the bottom was "only a bit disappointing"?

This season has been so uninspiring, with the occasional highlight, that I would have had more fun watching the dust gather around my navel

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Apr 2009 21:52

riverroyal Clutching at straws I know, but, and a big but, we could still get second spot if we win all our remaining games and . . . .

and

and

LMAO!

Wake up to reality. The season finished on Good friday.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Apr 2009 22:01

The seasons far from over. Everyone keeps banging on about not wanting to play Cardiff in the play-offs as if they were Brazil...
The play-offs(if we make them and we should)will be a clean slate.
There is no reason why we cant win through provided the players are up for it which frankly is the least we should expect.
Automatic promotion has been well and truely screwed up but the season remains very much alive.
Promotion is still there for the taking.
The way most are talking on here it would seem like we have just been relegated.
Like it or not this season is still one of the most successful this club has ever had. It could still be memorable for the right reasons.
No point in giving up when there is still a chance.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Apr 2009 22:13

PEARCEY The seasons far from over. Everyone keeps banging on about not wanting to play Cardiff in the play-offs as if they were Brazil...
The play-offs(if we make them and we should)will be a clean slate.
There is no reason why we cant win through provided the players are up for it which frankly is the least we should expect.
Automatic promotion has been well and truely screwed up but the season remains very much alive.
Promotion is still there for the taking.
The way most are talking on here it would seem like we have just been relegated.
Like it or not this season is still one of the most successful this club has ever had. It could still be memorable for the right reasons.
No point in giving up when there is still a chance.

Generally you need decent form and confidence to win the play offs. Not come into them on the back of 3 wins in 15 matches. That's what our current form is, and I don't see much sign of it getting significantly better.

I'd be delighted if it did. But we should all accept we have no chance. Doesn't stop us backing the team at games and giving it our all as supporters. If by some astounding miracle we did manage it the surprise would be all the sweeter.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Apr 2009 22:25

Of course we have a chance. We are not playing against world beating teams. Brum are shite and barely score, Cardiff, Burnley and Sheff Utd are ordinary. It might just take a bad foul, a lucky goal, a penalty save just something that might spark the side.
Granted we have blown automatic promotion but we are still in the mix and none of the other sides will think we are a walkover....far far from it.
Just take the Sheff Utd game. We are on a dire run. They are on a tremendous run. Were they the better side??? I dont think so.
On a different day Kitson's header hits the bar and Doyle hits home the rebound. On a different day they hit the crossbar and the ball falls to safety. Its just how it goes sometimes.
There is loads still to play for...but granted the team need to get their act together and fast.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 14 Apr 2009 22:27

Arch

This is the best comment on the matter. It's all very well still being in contention, but if you come away from every game let down and disappointed again, being in contention ceases to matter much. Being of an optimistic disposition, I'll go into the next game with hopes of a turn-around - after all, our supposedly shit and worthless squad has put in some great, league-best performances this season - but it's long since that would have counted as "normal service resumed". Normal service has become disappointment.

Agreed. Even I, as wildly optimistic as I am, am only hoping that we can get used to winning again before the playoffs. That is all I want, just to play well, then que sera sera.