Just how bad have we been at home

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Just how bad have we been at home

by Barry the bird boggler » 04 May 2009 08:24

This bad....

We have not won at home since beating Wolves at the end of January

Our home form since 1st Jan reads

Pld 10 W 2 D 3 L 5 F 8 (and 4 of those came v Watford) A 9 Pts 9 an avg of .90 pts a game

Oh and yesterday was the first time one of our outfield players had scored at home in the daylight hours since Shane Long v Norwich on 13th December 2008

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Just how bad have we been at home

by Avon Royal » 04 May 2009 08:40

The fans have got to take their share of the blame.

Yesterday we showed we can do it when we want to, but the performance of "number 13" over the 4 months prior to that has been awful.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 04 May 2009 09:24

first time anyone has scored for us at home since March 10th

The Cube

by The Cube » 04 May 2009 09:25

Barry the bird boggler Oh and yesterday was the first time one of our outfield players had scored at home in the daylight hours since Shane Long v Norwich on 13th December 2008

I think it was already dark by the time we scored in that game.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 May 2009 09:28

The crowd were a lot better yesterday but there were people behind me complaining in the first minute.

I thought yesterday showed the nerves. Neither Kebe or SHunt wanting to run with the ball
though Shunt did manage to get into spaces FOR the ball, and Shane looked a bit "transfixed"

I think the occasion got to them a bit but Birmingham were very professional and did a job.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 04 May 2009 09:30

Avon Royal The fans have got to take their share of the blame.

Yesterday we showed we can do it when we want to, but the performance of "number 13" over the 4 months prior to that has been awful.

The players need to inspire the crowd not send them into depression!!! :roll:

All these excuses about the pitch, the crowd, the opposition, bad luck are just a cover up

We didnt have enough to unlock teams who came to try and keep their point after our earlier run of form tonking teams who were a bit more attacking. Players then lost confidence and ideas and the management failed to do anything about it

The last 4 months have cost us dear

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 04 May 2009 09:33

Snowball The crowd were a lot better yesterday but there were people behind me complaining in the first minute.

I thought yesterday showed the nerves. Neither Kebe or SHunt wanting to run with the ball
though Shunt did manage to get into spaces FOR the ball, and Shane looked a bit "transfixed"

I think the occasion got to them a bit but Birmingham were very professional and did a job.

I think it was more just our lack of ability that got to us

Did you ever expect much more from the likes of Long, Kebe or Hunt when they have played like that for the 80% of the season, why should they suddenly be able to turn it on against the most capable set of players in the division with 9 months of pressure and expectations on their shoulders?

How many times did we get in decent positions but fail to make anything of them because we dont have enough quality on the ball? Its been the same all season :(

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 04 May 2009 09:34

The fans !!! I've never heard so much crap in my life , the fans don't play , the fans don't get thousands a week for playing so poorly , the fans pay their money and get behind the team when the team show they are prepared to sweat blood for the shirt .....the fans have absolutely nothing to do with our home form .......clutching straws.....

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 04 May 2009 10:03

Gunny Fishcake

The fans !!! I've never heard so much crap in my life , the fans don't play , the fans don't get thousands a week for playing so poorly , the fans pay their money and get behind the team when the team show they are prepared to sweat blood for the shirt .....the fans have absolutely nothing to do with our home form .......clutching straws.....

So the fans have absolutely nothing to do with home form? Really? :roll:

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 04 May 2009 10:32

Avon Royal

Pretty much yes. They can maybe make a bit of difference now and again, but when a team cant put 2 or 3 passes together or create more than 1 or 2 chances per game over a 4 or 5 month period its a hell of a lot more to it than the noise created by the fans

Our home form was excellent in the Autumn but appaling in the Winter/Spring. The fans didnt change that it was the players and management and the fans were about 2 months behind on their *performances*

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 May 2009 10:47

I disagree.

In no other sport would you have the fans blamed for the poor performance of the athletes.

Some of our players lack belief in the team, some of them have too much belief in their own ability - Back to basics and keep it simple, that's the message I will be relaying if I was manager.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 04 May 2009 10:59

Avon Royal, wrote:

I trust you made the long away evening trips to Wolves, Burnley,Cardiff, Doncaster, Sheffield Wedenesday, Derby and Norwich to make a comment on the fans taking their share of the blame!!

Ooops I forgot to mention Dagenham and Stoke in the carliing cup as well.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 04 May 2009 11:29

The Cube
Barry the bird boggler Oh and yesterday was the first time one of our outfield players had scored at home in the daylight hours since Shane Long v Norwich on 13th December 2008

I think it was already dark by the time we scored in that game.

Yes it was, in which case we either go back to Jimmy Kebe's consolation v Southampton in November or, to be sure, v Burnley back in early October to find the last time we scored at home when there was daylight.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 04 May 2009 11:43

The Real Sandhurst Royal Avon Royal, wrote:

I trust you made the long away evening trips to Wolves, Burnley,Cardiff, Doncaster, Sheffield Wedenesday, Derby and Norwich to make a comment on the fans taking their share of the blame!!

Ooops I forgot to mention Dagenham and Stoke in the carliing cup as well.

Some of them, yes. Some of them no.

Oh, and LOL at making a pithy comment about away games on a thread about home form. :roll:

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 04 May 2009 11:46

Forbury Lion
I disagree.

In no other sport would you have the fans blamed for the poor performance of the athletes.

Some of our players lack belief in the team, some of them have too much belief in their own ability - Back to basics and keep it simple, that's the message I will be relaying if I was manager.

"Share" of the blame, "share" of the blame.

I can't believe that some people refuse to acknowledge that a supportive and vocal home crowd will assist the players (just ask them). Of course it won't win games on it's own, but the motivational aspect can help to make a positive difference.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 04 May 2009 11:59

I've said this since the dawn of time - the players lift the fans, the fans lift the players...

In that order, always has been, always will be. Norwich fans sang their little hearts out, but it didn't stop them being totally ripped apart did it? Vocal support can help, no doubt about it, but blaming us/them for not winning points is frankly childish.

"I feel we didn't perform today, Frank."

"I know, I missed my cue on "Blue Army" a few times."

"Shocking."

"I'm going to fine myself a pint, Dave."

"Good call. Not good enough. Drop me next game, guv."

"You're benched."

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 04 May 2009 12:10

Agent Balti I've said this since the dawn of time

Well in that case it must be true!

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 04 May 2009 12:29

Avon Royal
Gunny Fishcake

Yep, nothing at all. And you should slap yourself in the face for thinking such tripe.

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 04 May 2009 12:30

The reason the atmosphere at the Madejski has been like a funeral recently is because the football is appalling to watch and quite frankly depressing. Yesterday Birmingham looked like they wanted it more, there was so little energy from the players in the 1st half. Chances or prolonged periods of pressure in games is what gets the fans going, and recently we havn't had that at all.

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 04 May 2009 14:25

The fact that it's something of a minor miracle whenever we manage to string three passes together these days is nothing to do with me or my mate who sit in the North Stand.