Are Burnley Cheats?

Forest Gump

Are Burnley Cheats?

by Forest Gump » 11 May 2009 11:36

I wasn't able to go to the first leg and can't therefore comment directly but it sounded like certain Burnley players took the sportsmanship thing a bit too far. I am mainly referring to the way that they earned the penalty (Paterson I believe) and the way that they got Bikey sent off (Blake?)

I think that Reading are genuinely a fair team and play the game in it's proper spirit. We don't applaud cheats and, if what I heard about these two incidents is true, I hope that the players involved feel the disapproval of the crowd in tomorrow's second leg.

OK, perhaps Bikey is a bit naive and has paid the price for that but it doesn't feel great to know that we've been conned. So let's make Burnley know how we feel and really get behind our team.

I have been (to my mind justifiably) critical of the management over recent weeks but the only thing we must show now is unity and give it one last big push. Then whatever happens we will know we gave it our all.

Come on Reading. Make a name for yourselves.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Are Burnley Cheats?

by Deathy » 11 May 2009 11:38

Sympathy post.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 11 May 2009 11:40

Forest Gump I am mainly referring to the way that they earned the penalty (Paterson I believe) and the way that they got Bikey sent off (Blake?)

I take it you are joking?

It was definately a foul, but outside the box and Bikey stamped on Blake so I don't see they got Bikey sent off. Bikey did all the work himself, Burnley conned no-one and do not deserve comments like you have written.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 11 May 2009 11:42

Burnley are no more cheats than anyone else. Kits or Long would have dropped to the ground like they'd been shot if they felt their shirt being tugged. As for Blake - maybe he exagerrated, maybe not, but he was certainly stamped on so Bikey has only himself to blame for the sending off.

braindead

by braindead » 11 May 2009 11:43

Forest Gump I wasn't able to go to the first leg and can't therefore comment directly but it sounded like certain Burnley players took the sportsmanship thing a bit too far. I am mainly referring to the way that they earned the penalty (Paterson I believe) and the way that they got Bikey sent off (Blake?)

I think that Reading are genuinely a fair team and play the game in it's proper spirit. We don't applaud cheats and, if what I heard about these two incidents is true, I hope that the players involved feel the disapproval of the crowd in tomorrow's second leg.

OK, perhaps Bikey is a bit naive and has paid the price for that but it doesn't feel great to know that we've been conned. So let's make Burnley know how we feel and really get behind our team.

I have been (to my mind justifiably) critical of the management over recent weeks but the only thing we must show now is unity and give it one last big push. Then whatever happens we will know we gave it our all.

Come on - Firstly Thompson's shirt was definitely pulled and even Coppell said that he would expect a striker to go over in the area with that kind of contact.

And as for the Blake incident - yes he maliciously left his leg there to be stamped on by the innocent Bikey.
:shock:

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 11 May 2009 11:51

Any player in their right might would risk a booking in the dying minutes of a game with so much riding on it. Saying that if Long Kitson or Doyle didn't go down after having their shirt pulled i would be disappointed.

Bikey deserved the sending of. It's that simple.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 May 2009 11:55

No, they didn't cheat. Get over it. :roll:

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 11 May 2009 11:57

Wycombe Royal
Forest Gump I am mainly referring to the way that they earned the penalty (Paterson I believe) and the way that they got Bikey sent off (Blake?)

I take it you are joking?

It was definately a foul, but outside the box and Bikey stamped on Blake so I don't see they got Bikey sent off. Bikey did all the work himself, Burnley conned no-one and do not deserve comments like you have written.

Look at it again. Alexander was well inside the area with dumb arse still holding his shirt. That is inside the area a penalty every day of the week.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 11 May 2009 11:58

Deluded more like. My paper today has the goalscorer Alexander blaming our negative tactics for the poor Burnley performance. No mention that his team at home played with one isolated striker and could not muster one meaningful shot on target until the penalty.
Coppell by contrast played essentially three up front and Mr Alexander, on reflection, might consider the result to have been somewhat fortunate.

fridays child

by fridays child » 11 May 2009 12:08

if what I heard about these two incidents is true,
So you've not seen either incident yourself. I'd change the people you listen to if I were you.

Your ID suits you, bit on the slow side and too easily influenced by others.

by 1960 » 11 May 2009 12:17

I think the point is that Blake was pulling Bikey's arm. Sending off definitely, but why do the provokers never get any punishment? Bikey gave away a penalty and got a yellow for tugging a shirt. Blake got nothing for the same offence. After all, Bikey wouldn't have stamped on him if he wasn't beung provoked.

It's always the same though. You see it countless times. Maybe the most famous example was Beckham in 98. Referees had been told a tackle from behind was to be a mandatory red card. Simeone came right through Beckham from behind and should have been sent straight off, but while the bottling ref gave him a cowardly yellow, Beckham gave him the tiniest tap and got a red. You can't justify Beckham's reaction, but it bore no resemblance to the violent assault he had just endured.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 11 May 2009 12:18

(.)Boobies(.) Look at it again. Alexander was well inside the area with dumb arse still holding his shirt. That is inside the area a penalty every day of the week.

Firstly how can I take the comments seriously of someone talling me to look closer when they can't even get the name of the player right and secondly it doesn't matter whether his shirt is STILL being held when inside the penalty area, it is when the FIRST contact took place and you you look closely you will:

a) be able to see who the player is who is having his shirt held
b) be able to see that his feet are outside the area at the first point of contact

philM

by philM » 11 May 2009 12:39

[quote="Wycombe Royal] it doesn't matter whether his shirt is STILL being held when inside the penalty area, it is when the FIRST contact took place[/quote]

If the offence starts outside the box and continues into the box then it is a valid penalty. It's nothing to do with where the first contact took place. It's actually the LAST contact that counts in this case.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 11 May 2009 12:58

Direct Free Kick
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits
any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the
referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent
• jumps at an opponent
• charges an opponent
• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
• pushes an opponent
• tackles an opponent
A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player
commits any of the following three offences:
holds an opponent
• spits at an opponent
• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his
own penalty area)
A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred
(see Law 13 – Position of Free Kick).
Penalty Kick
A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed
by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of
the ball, provided it is in play.

As the initial contact was outsdie the area the above seems to indicate that it wasn't a penalty. This was taken from:
http://www.oxfordshirefa.com/Governance/LOAF/

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 11 May 2009 13:07

The only think that you could possibly accuse Burnley of (from a cheating point of view) was poor sportsmanship when, after Marcus had chucked the ball out for a throw so their bloke could get treatment, the Burnley player threw it back for a goal kick rather than straight back to Marcus.

Having said that, it seems to be the norm these days and I certainly don't see it as cheating - more so a show of poor sportsmanship which 99% of teams these days do anyway.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 May 2009 13:15

The offence did occur in the box though, so not sure how that helps at all. There is nothing I could see in your quote that says if the ref has to take initial or last contact when penalising a foul.

I'm not 100% certain the initial contact was outside of the box but the ref is well within his rights to say that he could've been playing advantage for the first bit of contact and that if Bikey had immediately let go and Paterson was then not prevented from going after the ball there wouldn't have been the penalty.

braindead

by braindead » 11 May 2009 13:21

Just so we get this right it was Steve Thompson who was fouled for the penalty!!

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed
by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of
the ball, provided it is in play.

As the offence was still being commited inside the area (Regardless of where the initial tug took place), your quote provided tends to suggest that it in fact WAS a penalty

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 11 May 2009 13:22

To be honest if the first offence took place outside the box and then further offences took place inside it is very good refereeing to allow advantage for the less serious offence and penalise the more serious (ie give a pen).

To do other wise would conflict with a basic principle that you refrain from penalising an offender if by doing so you would give them an advantage.

So if you give the free kick outside the area when there was also a foul in the area you would be benefitting the offender, which is wrong !

If you of it as two totally seperate offences it makes more sense - say the defender obstructs an attacker (indirect free kick) and then trips him (direct free kick) you would give the direct free kick.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 May 2009 13:23

Forest Gump I wasn't able to go to the first leg and can't therefore comment directly but it sounded like certain Burnley players took the sportsmanship thing a bit too far. I am mainly referring to the way that they earned the penalty (Paterson I believe) and the way that they got Bikey sent off (Blake?)

No. next question?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 11 May 2009 13:59

Hoops and Sun - agree with your points however the referee made no indication that he was playing advantage after the initial grabbing of the shirt.

To be honest, I'm splitting hairs clinging desperately on to the technicality. It wasn't a penalty but I understand why it was given.