The Steve Coppell appreciation and thank you thread

112 posts
rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

The Steve Coppell appreciation and thank you thread

by rhroyal » 13 May 2009 00:13

NOTE: THERE ARE LOADS OF THREADS ON THIS FORUM WHERE YOU CAN SAY NASTY THINGS ABOUT COPPELL. NOT ON THIS THREAD!!!!!

Steve Coppell, I'd just like to say thank you for 05/06 and 06/07. I'd also like to add thanks for the games against Pardew's West Ham, the win over Liverpool, the win at Molinuex this season and the standard of football we have been able to enjoy for much of your time here. Thanks for letting us dream of becoming an established Premiership club with a 38,000 seat stadium. Thank you that we now consider finishing 4th and losing in the play-offs a massive disappointment, I'd have happily accepted such a finish when you took over in 2003. You won't be forgotten. Enjoy some well earned time out from the game for a year or so, and when you come back with another club I hope we give you the reception you deserve.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Steve Coppell appreciation and thank you thread

by The Prisoner » 13 May 2009 00:16

Totally agree. I just hope we don't look back on this as our only golden era. Some careful thought needs to be had as to just who replaces him.
Last edited by The Prisoner on 13 May 2009 00:16, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Lycan

by Lord Lycan » 13 May 2009 00:17

Steve modeling the shirt you will all be wearing next season

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 13 May 2009 00:18

The MVP
rhroyal NOTE: THERE ARE LOADS OF THREADS ON THIS FORUM WHERE YOU CAN SAY NASTY THINGS ABOUT COPPELL. NOT ON THIS THREAD!!!!!

Steve Coppell, I'd just like to say thank you for 05/06 and 06/07. I'd also like to add thanks for the games against Pardew's West Ham, the win over Liverpool, the win at Molinuex this season and the standard of football we have been able to enjoy for much of your time here. Thanks for letting us dream of becoming an established Premiership club with a 38,000 seat stadium. Thank you that we now consider finishing 4th and losing in the play-offs a massive disappointment, I'd have happily accepted such a finish when you took over in 2003. You won't be forgotten. Enjoy some well earned time out from the game for a year or so, and when you come back with another club I hope we give you the reception you deserve.

WTF?!?!!?

:shock:

BTW, FOOK OFF COPPELL, YOU REALLY FOOKED IT UP THIS SEASON.
I wish you weren't on this board.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 13 May 2009 00:18

Highlights of Steve Coppell's reign:

- That little finger click thing he did when Shane Long scored in the rout of Derby.
- Throwing his coat into the crowd at Leicester.
- Meeting me at Warwick Services.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 13 May 2009 00:19

Thanks Steve you are a Reading Legend your time here will stay with me forever 05/06 and 06/07 will stay in the minds of reading fans forever and will be passed down for even longer. All the Best for whatever you decide to do next and hopefully you will come back for Murts Testimonial

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 13 May 2009 00:20

Thanks big lad. You gave me something I thought I would never see. All the best for the future.

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 13 May 2009 00:22

Best Reading manager ever. Cannot be argued against.
An RFC legend.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 13 May 2009 00:25

We have all had a few moans about what has gone on this season, but, Steve Coppell "thank you" isnt big enough to say what you have done for our club. True supporters of Reading who haved lived through life in the lower divisions, could never have dreamed that we would ever rise to the Premiership, that is the testamony that you have left behind you, our truest greatest ever manager, good luck, good health and come back and see us again.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 13 May 2009 00:33

Steve, you made this club of ours recognised all over the world. You did it like a gent, never ranting or raving, you made us proud to support Reading. We played great football, we finished in the top 10 of the strongest league in the world, you made a Reading player an England international. Anything else?!

Good luck with whatever you chose to do next, we were lucky to have you...

Thank you Steve Coppell.

Royal Boil

by Royal Boil » 13 May 2009 00:46

I'd like to say thanks to Steve for having something that's in short supply these days in football, and that's loyalty to this club. It's been refreshing to have a manager who's both helped us towards our dreams during the good times and stuck with us during the bad (even when the bad were good for us, for God's sake, given our trivial history) when others, such as the FSB and Pardew merely saw us as a stepping stone to something bigger as soon as they got the chance. And not only winning two best manager awards in the process, but enhancing the club's reputation. And here we are, crying into our beer that we only made the play-offs. Surely that's the measure of his tenure, that nowadays that's considered to be failure. A few years ago we made this same journey and lost at the same stage to Wolves, and yet if felt like we were in Wonderland. Having said that, I think he's made the right decision at the the right time and with the academy kids starting to come through (and some wastage to get rid of) I think he's leaving us in a much better state than he found us.

Que sera sera,
Whatever will be will,
We're still in the the CCC,
Que sera sera.

There's always next season

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 13 May 2009 04:00

Well said all. I hope some sensible mod merges all the whining tart threads into one so this one doesn't get lost in the sea of incontinent mediocrity that this board has become.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 13 May 2009 06:13

Thank you for the last 6 seasons Mr Coppell, we scaled unbelievable heights with you and your teams, we saw success and failure, we now believe we are a Premier League Club.

In an odd way I am pleased it finished last night, a Wembley defeat would have been harder to stomach.

Bedale Royal

by Bedale Royal » 13 May 2009 07:00

Having supported Reading since1977 I can honestly say the Coppell years were without doubt the happiest for this fan.He has bought success we could only have dreamed about.The problem created by that success is heightened expectation,particularly amongst those who don't recall earlier less successful times.
So thank you Steve Coppell, and the best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do next.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 May 2009 07:31

Thank you Steve for being by far the most successful ever manager in the club's history. I am truly sorry that your reign has come to an end after the most bizarre second half of a season that I have ever seen.

You are a true gentleman and yet again I think you have done the right thing for both the club and yourself. This is not to say that I don't think you would still have been the best man for the job next year - but to pick yourself and the team up after this season would be all but impossible.

You will be remembered as a true Reading hero and I do hope that after a rest we will see you back in management elsewhere and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Madstad leading your new team against us, when I know you will get a fantastic reception.

woodley_royal_124

by woodley_royal_124 » 13 May 2009 07:42

Bedale Royal said
The problem created by that success is heightened expectation,particularly amongst those who don't recall earlier less successful times.

I totally agree. Sadly a lot of people only started coming because of our premiership status, either to fall away when things went bad (i.e. relegation at the end of the 2008-9 season) or hang around and moan. Its when the club has been in the lowest eschalons of league football that you can truelly appreicate the dream that Steve materialised for us. I am sorry he has left but respect the decision he as made and wish him all the best for the future.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 May 2009 09:25

Thanks for giving us a chance to experience what we'd all dreamed of for so long.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 13 May 2009 10:19

thankyou steve for all what you have done for us you made a lot of reading fans dream's come true
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AYgRawlEVo

southstand67

by southstand67 » 13 May 2009 10:22

I never imagined I would ever see Reading in the Premiership. Thankyou Steve Coppell!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 May 2009 10:25

A lovely man, a proper gentleman - a legend for Man Utd, England and now little old Reading. Thank you for everything and for the way you have always conducted yourself - I'm sorry some of the players have let you down and I hope you take a well deserved rest and then come back to us as our Director of Football or something. And if you'd asked me out about 30 years ago, I would have said yes. I love you Steve. xx

112 posts