Brendan Rodgers - a Watford view

210 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Brendan Rodgers - a Watford view

by floyd__streete » 14 May 2009 13:37

From a Watford contact, season ticket holder at Vicarage Road and a reliable source whose credibility Handbags Harris would back up:

This rumour started among the Watford fans months ago – that Coppell would go in the summer and Rodgers would take over – so most Watford fans aren’t surprised. Who knows if it’s going to happen? Some bookie was saying that strong money has been put on Rodgers, and our chairman’s reaction to the story went as far as ‘I’d be surprised if it happens’ – not exactly convincing stuff.

I’d rate Buck very favourably. His player purchases have been astute (Liam Bridcutt aside), and his coaching skills are impressive. Some of our underperforming players – Doyley, Priskin and MacAnuff in particular – are playing out of their skins under him. I’d say that whoever can get Jobi MacHadAnuff to tackle back is borderline genius – and that’s exactly what Rodgers has done. Tactically he occasionally bordered on too defensive – we played too many games at home in a 4-5-1 formation – but he is good at changing systems around when they’re not working (something our previous manager never did!). I’ve also had the chance to meet him at a couple of club do’s and he’s a thoroughly nice guy.

Which is why I’m not sure if he’ll leave the club. He seems to honourable. But then again, money usually talks. It’s one to watch. Either way, I’d be gutted to see him leave. I think his ‘plan’ (if he stays with us, that is!), is to get us to play all the time on the deck. He made a mistake when he first arrived of trying to get us to play that way straight away and it was a disaster – sideways passing galore, which the fans hated (too many unpleasant memories of the Vialli disaster). Credit to him, he realised it wasn’t working and the fans hated it, so we reverted to a more mixed approach. We mix some nice movement on the floor with a good direct pass when the time is right. I think Rodgers knows it has to be a gradual change – our players have been preconditioned to long/direct ball, so it’s going to need time.

Interesting about your backroom staff being let go too. Does that include Gibbs? More than a few Watford fans would shout Gibbs for the new boss if Rodgers goes. Either Gibbs or Kenny Jackett. I think Rodgers only bought one guy from Chelsea – a fitness/conditioning coach. His number two is Malky McKay, who would also be a strong shout to be our new boss if Rodgers goes, so I can’t see Malky going. All the rest of the back room staff were people who were already at the club.

Fair point on questioning whether it’s a step up, but Reading and Chelsea are his personal favourite clubs. Rodgers still lives in Reading too. And, you don’t have the financial restrictions that we will have for the next couple of seasons. I can see an appeal to being the new Reading manager. What happened to you recently reminds me a lot of us this time last year. Dire home run, team looking unconvincing, fans turning against the team/manager. Whereas Boothroyd stayed on with us, Coppell took immediate action.

I must admit to preferring a more experienced option, but if that means a 'merry-go-round' manager in the mould of Glenn Roeder then it's Rodgers (or someone of his ilk) all the way please. A young and hungry manager to replace the previous tired regime sounds good to me. I do hope this post isn't too long for some of our less cerebral 'nobbers; do yourselves and the already stretched server a favour by holding back on the 'I'm not reading all that' guff if you don't have the maturity, brains or patience to read the interesting feedback above.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brendan Rodgers - a Watford view

by Thomas L'Heureux » 14 May 2009 13:42

Thanks for the info, Floyd. A good insight into Rodgers as a manager, and one that backs up the favourable words I've read elsewhere.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 May 2009 13:44

I'm surrounded by Watford fans at work and the moment Rodgers was appointed at Vicarage Road, I was telling them that whilst he would keep them up, he was merely getting in some work experience, prior to returning to his rightful home when Steve Coppell departed.

Now they are telling me that Rodgers is going nowhere but their faces show worry and their voices lack conviction!

My son used to attend the School of Excellence when Brendan Rodgers was running it at Windsor Boys School. Even then, four things struck me. a) really nice guy b) excellent coach c) strong disciplinarian but fair with it d) someone destined for high places in football.

In my view, we have to get this guy, albeit honourably (Watford won't be able to resist a decent financial offer).

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 14 May 2009 14:02

I'd prefer Rodgers to cut his managerial teeth away from RFC thanks.
He's only been managing for 6 months.
Watford only went for him because he was cheap.
I'd have him as an assistant manager though.
One for the future.
Maybe.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 14 May 2009 14:07

Rodgers also brought in Dean Austin on the coaching side. Apparently he rates Austin highly, could see him bringing here alongside Dolan and leaving Malky at Watford. Depends if the rumours about Wise are true.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 May 2009 14:16

The anti-Coppell brigade (or should I say couple) must surely have a fantastic alternative.

If this is it I think we've been done.

Eagerly awaiting the suggestion that will blow my mind away.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 14 May 2009 14:26

...........as I said, I saw him at the driving range at Rivermead last Thursday evening................ :shock:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 14 May 2009 14:27

2 world wars, 1 world cup Eagerly awaiting the suggestion that will blow my mind away.

Dave Bassett.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 14 May 2009 14:28

2 world wars, 1 world cup The anti-Coppell brigade (or should I say couple) must surely have a fantastic alternative.

Rodgers >>>>> Coppell

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 May 2009 14:30

TBM
2 world wars, 1 world cup The anti-Coppell brigade (or should I say couple) must surely have a fantastic alternative.

Rodgers >>>>> Coppell

only in terms of innuendo potential

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 14 May 2009 14:32

brendywendy
TBM

Rodgers >>>>> Coppell

Potential Chelsea reserve players on loan >>>>>>> ex-Brentford/Brighton signings on a free

26-10-06

by 26-10-06 » 14 May 2009 14:36

TBM

Rodgers >>>>> Coppell

Hmmmmmm :roll: plank

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 May 2009 14:37

An interesting read Floyd, I'd quite like to see him back at the club to be honest.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 May 2009 14:38

TBM
brendywendy
TBM
Rodgers >>>>> Coppell

Potential Chelsea reserve players on loan >>>>>>> ex-Brentford/Brighton signings on a free

For once I completely agree with you TBM.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 14 May 2009 14:38

26-10-06
TBM

Rodgers >>>>> Coppell

Hmmmmmm :roll: plank

What to expand on that, cockchops?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 14 May 2009 14:39

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 26 Jun 2010 04:42, edited 1 time in total.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 May 2009 14:39

TBM Potential Chelsea reserve players on loan >>>>>>> ex-Brentford/Brighton signings on a free

Like Sidwell, Sonko and Ingi? :roll:

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 14 May 2009 14:40

We didn't get Sidwell on a free, though I wish we had as we wouldn't be giving Arsenal any money.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 14 May 2009 14:42

Archie's penalty
TBM Potential Chelsea reserve players on loan >>>>>>> ex-Brentford/Brighton signings on a free

and Harding!

Sidwell (£undisclosed from Arsenal) wasn't on a free though and nor was Ingi (£100k from Wolves I think)

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 May 2009 14:42

Archie's penalty

For every one of them there's a Brooker, Owusu or a Sodje. In fact, the shit ones far outweigh the decent ones.

210 posts