Did you see that Tranmere game?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

Did you see that Tranmere game?

by Thaumagurist* » 28 May 2009 15:40

The one where Robin Friday scored his spectacular goal?

No, I didn't. I can't imagine many people on here can claim to have seen it. Only the older nobbers probably.

beno

Re: Did you see that Tranmere game?

by beno » 28 May 2009 15:46

what about the 3-1 play off semi away win just over 14 years ago... did anyone go?

apparently we played really well, i just cant remember the game though, and there isnt a match report on here...

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 28 May 2009 15:54

beno what about the 3-1 play off semi away win just over 14 years ago... did anyone go?

apparently we played really well, i just cant remember the game though, and there isnt a match report on here...

Yeah i went and we were superb - the return leg was a 0-0 affair though BUT it saw an amazing run from Scott Taylor, picking the ball up by our left back and taking it round nearly half the Tranmere team before the keeper saving his shot.....would have been one of the goals of the season had he scored.

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 28 May 2009 15:56

I was actually there. Went with some school m8s :oops:

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 28 May 2009 16:04

beno what about the 3-1 play off semi away win just over 14 years ago... did anyone go?

Robin Friday didn't play in that game though.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 May 2009 16:08

The 3-1 game is possibly the best 90 minutes I've ever seen us play, especially considering the high stakes at the time.

I've watched it back on video a number of times over the years and it still looks like a great performance.

...much better than the 6-0 thrashing we got up there a few years later!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 28 May 2009 17:04

I went to the 3-1. We counter-attacked amazingly. Lovell, Nogan and Taylor simply superb.

unclewal

by unclewal » 28 May 2009 21:29

Thaumagurist* The one where Robin Friday scored his spectacular goal?

No, I didn't. I can't imagine many people on here can claim to have seen it. Only the older nobbers probably.

Speaking as an old nob, I was there. A mere lad at the time of course but with my dad, still a RFC fan today at 94. All the stories are true. We had posh seats near the half way line (D was it?) and it was a Friday night game (it was dark anyway) against promotion rivals. RF teed the ball up about twenty feet away from us. And yes Clive Thomas (the Howard Webb of his day) did applaud the goal.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 28 May 2009 21:45

What a strange thing to say. Of course they'd be older nobbers. :roll:

VOR

by VOR » 28 May 2009 21:57

Let me translate: Only the older nobbers = Lifelong supporters

Amazing night. If senility has not robbed this particular old nobber of his memory, John Murray got a hat-trick incl 2 pens. And that legendary Robin Friday strike, of course. Had a great view of it from the Southbank. And of Clive Thomas with his hands on his head in disbelief.

jonnyroyal1871

by jonnyroyal1871 » 28 May 2009 23:38

I was at the 0-6- eeeeek sad day that was!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 28 May 2009 23:41

jonnyroyal1871 I was at the 0-6- eeeeek sad day that was!

+1

But got there when we were 5-0 down at half-time!

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 29 May 2009 01:14

TBM

Yeah i went and we were superb - the return leg was a 0-0 affair though BUT it saw an amazing run from Scott Taylor, picking the ball up by our left back and taking it round nearly half the Tranmere team before the keeper saving his shot.....would have been one of the goals of the season had he scored.

I was there, and I still have a video of the match.

The Positive One!

by The Positive One! » 29 May 2009 08:55

Yes I was there! A brilliant game and the match that I just can't forget. The Robin Friday goal was just spectacular and the reaction from the referee as equally amazing. I was only a teenager at the time and at the end of the game they played 'Oh What a Night' over the PA system - fantastic evening!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 May 2009 09:14

You're wrong - thousands of people can claim to have seen it, and they do. The number of people who've said they were there far exceeds the attendance at that match.

Warfield North Stand

by Warfield North Stand » 29 May 2009 09:56

The 3.1 game was one of my proudest moments as a Reading fan ( apart from all this getting to the Premiership nonsence). Brilliant day, brilliant weather, lovely cheap beer and Blackburn won the Premier league on the way home stopping Utd, if I remember rightly.

Whistle

by Whistle » 29 May 2009 10:05

unclewal

Speaking as an old nob, I was there. A mere lad at the time of course but with my dad, still a RFC fan today at 94. All the stories are true. We had posh seats near the half way line (D was it?) and it was a Friday night game (it was dark anyway) against promotion rivals. RF teed the ball up about twenty feet away from us. And yes Clive Thomas (the Howard Webb of his day) did applaud the goal.

Eh? Either my memory's gone, or the pitch was a lot narrower in them days - I thought Friday was on the South Bank side of the pitch - more like 50 yards than 20 feet from D stand.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 29 May 2009 12:31

What was the attendance of the Tranmere game with THAT Robin Friday goal? I'd like to know simply because I swear there are a greater number fans claiming to have seen it. I wish I could have seen it. Instead I just try and piece it together in my head based on what I hear people say. I'm sure I'll never see it. :cry:

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 29 May 2009 12:33

I remember drinking in the pub called 'The Prenton Park' before the game.

Whistle

by Whistle » 29 May 2009 12:48

rhroyal What was the attendance of the Tranmere game with THAT Robin Friday goal? I'd like to know simply because I swear there are a greater number fans claiming to have seen it. I wish I could have seen it. Instead I just try and piece it together in my head based on what I hear people say. I'm sure I'll never see it. :cry:

About 10,500-11,000.

It was 33 years ago so the chances are that most of the fans aged over 45 then will be gonners now.

Interesting question - I'd go for a max of 2000 people who saw that game AND are still regular fans today (as opposed to nobbers).