Start to the season - a comparison - 10 games in

strap
Hob Nob Regular

Start to the season - a comparison - 10 games in

by strap » 30 Sep 2009 22:35

**** Just updated the chart to show the number of differetn line ups used for each season start.

BR has used 10 different starting lineups in the first 10 games, a feat equalled by FSB in 91/2 and Joe Edelston on 46/47. In all 3 cases the manager is starting with a fresh team, so probably explains the chopping and changing.

My attention was drawn to Andrew Wylie in 1929/30. He used exactly the same starting lineupo in all 10 games at the start of the season. With a record of W4 D4 L2, i wonder if the fans of the day were calling for him to make team changes after a start that had them in the top half of the table! ****

Following on from my earlier thread, yesterday's win at Preston puts a much rosier complexion onto BR's start to the season.

As you can see, this year is now the 19th worst in our 83 seasons affiliated to the Football League, a fall of 10 places from 9th after 9 games.

Perhaps of more interest is the fact that our current start is now better than 5 of our 7 relegation seasons.

Haven't got round to calculating the number of different linups used in a season and at 10 games played, but will get onto that.

If all this is boring the pants off you, let me know and I'll stop!

I will correct the spelling on BRs surname in the next comparison :oops:
Last edited by strap on 01 Oct 2009 20:18, edited 2 times in total.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Start to the season - a comparison - 10 games in

by BenReadingFC » 30 Sep 2009 22:46

You continue, its great that there is somebody on the forum with this sort of knowledge/info

Berry

by Berry » 30 Sep 2009 22:57

Crack On its very informative

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 01 Oct 2009 00:05

I'm bored.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Oct 2009 00:07

Like having it available.

Ryn

by Ryn » 01 Oct 2009 07:46

Just keep up the good work strap. I'm one for stats though lots of people on here aren't.

Halifax 4-1

by Halifax 4-1 » 01 Oct 2009 10:18

Only 2 wins off a play-off place and not a quarter of the season gone.
Cannot see what people have been grumbling about. :)

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Oct 2009 10:30

10 points

same record as coppells first games...........

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Oct 2009 12:43

brendywendy 10 points

You sure about that Brendy?

Coppell won 7 and drew 1 in his first 10 games at the club. I make that 22pts, more than double Rodgers' total

Last season he got 6 wins, 2 draws - 20pts

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Oct 2009 13:08

just cant read the table then :oops:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Oct 2009 13:27

Ian Royal
brendywendy 10 points

Coppell won 7 and drew 1 in his first 10 games at the club. I make that 22pts, more than double Rodgers' total

We're only talking about league games so Coppell's record was 6 wins and a draw giving 19 points. But the difference is he arrived at a club with a settled and winning team.

Rodgers took over a club with a team showing relegation form at the end of last season that has then be further weakened during the summer when it lost a lot of it's best and senior players.

fridays child

by fridays child » 01 Oct 2009 13:28

When you compare this season with last season, it seems we're doing OK

2008/09 Pts 2009/10 Pts
Forest (h) L 0 D 1
Burnley/Newcastle (a) L 0 L 0
Swansea (a) L 0 D 1
Sheff U (h) L 0 L 0
Barnsley (a) W 3 W 3
Doncaster W 3 D 1
Cardiff (h) D 1 L 0
Charlton/Peterborough (a) L 0 L 0
Watford (h) W 3 D 1
PNE (a) L 0 W 3
10 10

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Oct 2009 13:33

Nice one FC.

Last season we lost 6 of those games, this season, despite new squad, "best" players all sold, we've lost 4 and actually taken the lead in 2 of them. Doesn't mean a lot but you don't have to look very hard to find reasons to be positive.
Last edited by Royal Rother on 01 Oct 2009 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 01 Oct 2009 13:34

Wycombe Royal But the difference is he arrived at a club with a settled and winning team.

I have a poor memory but didn't Coppell take over a side that under Dillon had lost 6 straight games or something ?
And had seen pretty much it's entire transfer budget blown on Goater leaving the squad unbalanced and under strength meaning he had to go out and grab fresh bodies pdq...

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 01 Oct 2009 13:37

Sun Tzu
Wycombe Royal But the difference is he arrived at a club with a settled and winning team.

I have a poor memory but didn't Coppell take over a side that under Dillon had lost 6 straight games or something ?
And had seen pretty much it's entire transfer budget blown on Goater leaving the squad unbalanced and under strength meaning he had to go out and grab fresh bodies pdq...

We were doing brilliantly before Dillon took over as caretaker and we'd finished 4th the previous season not having lost any of our players - bit of a difference.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Oct 2009 13:47

Royalee
Sun Tzu

We were doing brilliantly before Dillon took over as caretaker and we'd finished 4th the previous season not having lost any of our players - bit of a difference.

We'd taken 4 points out of 18, were 12th in the table and the whole seasons' transfer budget was spunked on Goater and Murray leaving with us with a threadbare squad and little money to do much about it.

Having said that, there is no question that Rodgers' task is greater because he's rebuilding almost from scratch without the luxury of a strong spine to his side which certainly was here when Coppell arrived. However to suggest we were a settled winning side when Coppell took over is stretching things a bit.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Oct 2009 13:56

Vision
Royalee
Sun Tzu

We'd taken 4 points out of 18, were 12th in the table and the whole seasons' transfer budget was spunked on Goater and Murray leaving with us with a threadbare squad and little money to do much about it.

Having said that, there is no question that Rodgers' task is greater because he's rebuilding almost from scratch without the luxury of a strong spine to his side which certainly was here when Coppell arrived. However to suggest we were a settled winning side when Coppell took over is stretching things a bit.

We had finished the season before in 4th place and had started well in 03/04 (we were undefeated). Then Pardew left and a bad run started which stopped again with the appointment of Coppell. So I think I am justified in saying that we had a winning settled team that had suffered the disruption of Pardews departure which affected results.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 01 Oct 2009 14:16

Ian Royal
brendywendy 10 points

Brendy is correct if talking about the first 10 games in 07/08 (our Premiership relegation season - see Rank line 14 on the chart).

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Oct 2009 15:09

Wycombe Royal
Vision
Royalee

Having said that, there is no question that Rodgers' task is greater because he's rebuilding almost from scratch without the luxury of a strong spine to his side which certainly was here when Coppell arrived. However to suggest we

were a settled winning side when Coppell took over is stretching things a bit.

We had finished the season before in 4th place and had started well in 03/04 (we were undefeated). Then Pardew left and a bad run started which stopped again with the appointment of Coppell. So I think I am justified in saying that we had a winning settled team that had suffered the disruption of Pardews departure which affected results.

It's a fair point and as I said it was certainly a side with a strong spine (albeit with an ageing injury prone centre-half partnership in Williams and Brown) but the actual squad was threadbare. As the play-offs the previous season showed, an injury or 2 (Forster in particular) and the cupboard was bare. Without a fit and in-form Forster even Pardew's team the previous season was probably mid-table at best.

We were 12th with a quarter of the season gone and had won 1 in 6. I take your point about Pardew's leaving being disruptive but for me it is still "stretching the point" to say he walked into a winning team. The fact that Forster subsequently played bearly half of the remaining games and we finished 9th kind of underlines the point about the thinness of the squad to me.

i don't entirely disagree with you but I guess we just interprete that situation differently.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Oct 2009 15:17

Vision
Wycombe Royal We had finished the season before in 4th place and had started well in 03/04 (we were undefeated). Then Pardew left and a bad run started which stopped again with the appointment of Coppell. So I think I am justified in saying that we had a winning settled team that had suffered the disruption of Pardews departure which affected results.

It's a fair point and as I said it was certainly a side with a strong spine (albeit with an ageing injury prone centre-half partnership in Williams and Brown) but the actual squad was threadbare. As the play-offs the previous season showed, an injury or 2 (Forster in particular) and the cupboard was bare. Without a fit and in-form Forster even Pardew's team the previous season was probably mid-table at best.

We were 12th with a quarter of the season gone and had won 1 in 6. I take your point about Pardew's leaving being disruptive but for me it is still "stretching the point" to say he walked into a winning team. The fact that Forster subsequently played bearly half of the remaining games and we finished 9th kind of underlines the point about the thinness of the squad to me.

i don't entirely disagree with you but I guess we just interprete that situation differently.

Stop being so bloody diplomatic - it makes it hard to argue with...... :twisted: