Coppell was right

midfield diamond

Coppell was right

by midfield diamond » 09 Oct 2009 18:29

Last season some fans, including me, questioned why USA was reinstated to the team after injury, rather than giving Fed an extended run. Also with the senior players not performing we wondered why SC didn't give the youngsters more of a chance.
Events this season have proven SC's decisions were correct. Fed's displays have been too inconsistent this season. USA was more reliable despite his sometime dodgy distribution. Pity we couldn't have kept him for another season. As for the academy players, apart from one or two exceptions, most are proving not of Championship standard.
Finally SC's best call was to resign having no doubt known that JM's budget cuts were in the offing rendering the managers job mission impossible.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Coppell was right

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Oct 2009 18:39

midfield diamond Finally SC's best call was to resign having no doubt known that JM's budget cuts were in the offing rendering the managers job mission impossible.

+1, couldnt be arsed with unrealistic expectations from a chairman who knows nothing about football.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 09 Oct 2009 19:03

midfield diamond Last season some fans, including me, questioned why USA was reinstated to the team after injury, rather than giving Fed an extended run. Also with the senior players not performing we wondered why SC didn't give the youngsters more of a chance.
Events this season have proven SC's decisions were correct. Fed's displays have been too inconsistent this season. USA was more reliable despite his sometime dodgy distribution. Pity we couldn't have kept him for another season. As for the academy players, apart from one or two exceptions, most are proving not of Championship standard.
Finally SC's best call was to resign having no doubt known that JM's budget cuts were in the offing rendering the managers job mission impossible.

spot on, as they say, be careful what your wish for

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 09 Oct 2009 19:26

uh yeh, we totally did better with Hahnemann in goal :|

shoey

by shoey » 09 Oct 2009 19:33

yes we did u numpty, play-offs

krisholland

by krisholland » 09 Oct 2009 19:40

We didn`t win a home game in the league as well when Hahnemann came back , if I am not mistaken.
So when has Fed cost us a game this season, and did he win a point for us somewhere(Swansea and Preston away perhaps?)

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 09 Oct 2009 20:05

Mmm

1. Fed has been pretty consistent this season. Couple of mistakes over 10 games. I'd say we've seen more a less a straight swap of keepers in terms of their abilty.

2. Of the youngsters most have not played anywhere near enough games to judge whether they are of Championship quality. Some will be, some won't. It's hardly a revelation !

3. Coppell didn't resign which I guess knocks the suffing out of the arguement anyway !

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Oct 2009 20:17

Steve Coppell in "Best manager in Reading's history and one of the top managers in the country actually might have known what he was doing" shocker!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Oct 2009 21:00

midfield diamond Last season some fans, including me, questioned why USA was reinstated to the team after injury, rather than giving Fed an extended run. Also with the senior players not performing we wondered why SC didn't give the youngsters more of a chance.

Our ratio of points in the second half of last season was barely any better than this year so far and yet we still had Doyle and Bikey - two decent Premiership players in the side, thus your point is bollocks. Federici has been fine this season apart from Sheff Utd where he had a rare lapse - I'll find you half a dozen goals which were Hahnemann's fault last year if you want to get into that.

Steve Coppell resigned because he'd realised he left us in the shit and didn't have the balls to sort his mess out. Nobody has taken him on since.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 09 Oct 2009 21:06

Royalee

Our ratio of points in the second half of last season was barely any better than this year so far and yet we still had Doyle and Bikey - two decent Premiership players in the side, thus your point is bollocks. Federici has been fine this season apart from Sheff Utd where he had a rare lapse - I'll find you half a dozen goals which were Hahnemann's fault last year if you want to get into that.

Steve Coppell resigned because he'd realised he left us in the shit and didn't have the balls to sort his mess out. Nobody has taken him on since.

Royalee? For your information, Coppell did not resign. His contract expired and he was not going to renew. The fact he left early was so the club could appoint someone sooner rather than later. Thats how much he cared about the club.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 09 Oct 2009 21:06

shoey yes we did u numpty, play-offs

:lol: :lol:

Second half of the season < First half of the season.

Federici had his stint in goal during which time period?

Choice of goal keeper had nothing to do with how well we played last year.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 09 Oct 2009 21:48

ZacNaloen
shoey yes we did u numpty, play-offs

:lol: :lol:

Second half of the season < First half of the season.

Federici had his stint in goal during which time period?

Choice of goal keeper had nothing to do with how well we played last year.

I thought the quality of football ALL of last season left much to be desired. That was one hell of a hangover from relegation the year before. But that is all history. Whether Coppell was right or wrong is irrelevant. We have an inexperienced manager in charge with a lightweight coaching and back up team. We have a first team squad made up of loanees, last minute buys and a bunch of untried and untested kids. It is up to the people involved within the football club to make and take the right decisions.

Madstad to Nadderud

by Madstad to Nadderud » 09 Oct 2009 22:01

Royalee

You really don't have a clue do you... :roll:

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 Oct 2009 23:13

Royalee

Sorry Royalee you are wrong on this 1 he did not resign and he is not in a job as he said he wanted a break, wait until new year and i think he will be back

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Oct 2009 23:21

Knowing the way that Sir Steve works

I can see him popping his head above the parapit at Prenton Park

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 09 Oct 2009 23:43

[quote="Sorry Royalee you are wrong on this 1 he did not resign and he is not in a job as he said he wanted a break, wait until new year and i think he will be back[/quote]

Lets hope your right, and he does come back. people like royalee, blame everthing on coppell and seems to have his head up rodger ass,
coppell has proved himself rodgers has a hell of a long way to go.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 09 Oct 2009 23:57

But if Brendan Rodgers turns out to be half as successful as Coppell, he will have done well.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 10 Oct 2009 07:35

AthleticoSpizz Knowing the way that Sir Steve works

I can see him popping his head above the parapit at Prenton Park

But he does not want to be up north, Ipswich for me, saving them and relegating us perhaps??

Ferguson gets vote of confidence from Posh owner!!!

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 10 Oct 2009 08:00

I didn't think Hahnemann was any better than Federici. Poor distribution for a start. Fed has made one mistake this season against Sheff Utd but has been dependable at other times, winning us points at Swansea and Preston. As for Marcus, he was far better than Federici in his prime but I'd rather have Fedders now. I won't forget Keith Fahey's goal at the final day of the regular season, it should never have gone in and who knows what could have happened if Hahnemann had been reliable at that moment. I also questioned his agility when watching the replay of Martin Paterson's goal in the 2nd leg against Burnley, although maybe that's a bit harsh.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Oct 2009 08:09

Keeper

Federici is just as competent as Hahnemann and has better distribution - when he can be bothered - so noreal loss there.

Right back

Right ricket dropped there. Bring back Rosenior for gods sake.

Central Defence

Ingimarsson now back from injury. O'Dea is better than Duberry, would have been nice to keep Bikey but then Pearce and Mills have a bright future. Overall I'd say we are lacking a little experience but technically are stronger.

Left back

Personally I'd feel safer with Armstrong but Bertrand looks a quality player if you want that style.

Wingers

Basically not much has changed, they were crap last year and they're still crap this year.

Midfielders

I think weaker, plus no idea of what the best formation is

Strikers

Based on the first half of last season they are currently non existent. Based on form since January its difficult to see a difference. Rather have Doyle and Lita than any of the current crop though.