PROTEST

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

PROTEST

by Tony Le Mesmer » 21 Oct 2009 12:38

Im looking forward to a good old fashioned protest. We haven't had one for 10 years, and the last proper one was at Elm Park after the Port Vale game.

Are we all so reserved these days that the most we will do is just not bother going? Or maybe a half hearted "Rogders Out" (Whilst remaining seated of course).

Or are we going to stand up for ourselves and stop letting the club treat us like shit?

Royal_Belly

Re: PROTEST

by Royal_Belly » 21 Oct 2009 12:39

Tony Le Mesmer Im looking forward to a good old fashioned protest. We haven't had one for 10 years, and the last proper one was at Elm Park after the Port Vale game.

Are we all so reserved these days that the most we will do is just not bother going? Or maybe a half hearted "Rogders Out" (Whilst remaining seated of course).

Or are we going to stand up for ourselves and stop letting the club treat us like shit?

So is your protest against BR or the club??!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Oct 2009 12:41

I've already said I'm going to sit in the hotel on Monday night and clap the servers. After all, a large amount of money appears to have been diverted to the hotel. Then I'm going to stand in Rodgers car parking space and sing "I've just got to get a message to you......Feck Off, Feck Off." I suspect I'll be on my own. :wink:

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 21 Oct 2009 12:41

Royal_Belly
Tony Le Mesmer Im looking forward to a good old fashioned protest. We haven't had one for 10 years, and the last proper one was at Elm Park after the Port Vale game.

So is your protest against BR or the club??!

Its not MY protest its OURS. The club seems to be the general opinion.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 21 Oct 2009 12:45

Go on then, have fun, let it all out!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Oct 2009 13:07

Only problem with past protests - and any protests in future, I suspect - is knowing what you're protesting for/against.

All the best and most effective protests work when everyone involved knows exactly what they want. As an example, the "car park" protest worked because there was a simple, clear aim that everyone agreed with. Yes, that backfired, but only in hindsight and not for the reasons the gainsayers at the time expected - but the point is that people knew what they wanted.

A protest with vague / unagreed aims isn't an effective one.

What do we want? - Rodgers Out!
When do we want it? - Well, some of us want it now, but others think there's no point until we get to the transfer window and anyway we can't agree on who should take-over or if they'd do better.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 21 Oct 2009 13:08

Now.Simple.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 21 Oct 2009 13:09

Sadly, I was much more enthusiastic ten years ago. I am actually 'enjoying' the current state we are in. It's better than mid-table obscurity.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 21 Oct 2009 13:10

Royal Lady I've already said I'm going to sit in the hotel on Monday night and clap the servers. After all, a large amount of money appears to have been diverted to the hotel. Then I'm going to stand in Rodgers car parking space and sing "I've just got to get a message to you......Feck Off, Feck Off." I suspect I'll be on my own. :wink:

I'd pay to watch you do that. :wink:

All proceeds to charity of course.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 21 Oct 2009 13:11

LOL @ Protests.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Oct 2009 13:11

Hmmm. Children in Need?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Oct 2009 13:16

Tony Le Mesmer Or are we going to stand up for ourselves and stop letting the club treat us like shit?

This is the bit that I don't understand at the moment, how exactly are the club treating us like shit? They're certainly not treating me any differently to how they have done in the past

Basically 'greed with hugo

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 21 Oct 2009 13:17

Royal Lady Hmmm. RFC in Need?

The Knitting Circle

by The Knitting Circle » 21 Oct 2009 13:20

i can't wait to see 50 inbred goons waving banners around outside the hotel on sky sports news.
this will defo work!

royal.badger

by royal.badger » 21 Oct 2009 13:20

Tone,
I went to see Roma last month, while on hols out there.
They had a dismal start to the season (losing the first 3 games...!!!) and protested by not coming into the ground until 35 mins gone...
Lots and lots of empties and very visual. - Good for tv against Leicester for example...empty east stand...
and the protest should be against the way the club is currently being run and not the manager.
he has been shit on as much as we have...!

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 21 Oct 2009 13:23

The Knitting Circle i can't wait to see 50 inbred goons waving banners around outside the hotel on sky sports news.
this will defo work!

I take it you will be there then. :wink:

The Knitting Circle

by The Knitting Circle » 21 Oct 2009 13:24

royalexile
The Knitting Circle i can't wait to see 50 inbred goons waving banners around outside the hotel on sky sports news.
this will defo work!

I take it you will be there then. :wink:

might pop down there after i have finished banging my sister

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 21 Oct 2009 13:24

Good man.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 21 Oct 2009 13:31

Dirk Gently Only problem with past protests - and any protests in future, I suspect - is knowing what you're protesting for/against.

All the best and most effective protests work when everyone involved knows exactly what they want. As an example, the "car park" protest worked because there was a simple, clear aim that everyone agreed with. Yes, that backfired, but only in hindsight and not for the reasons the gainsayers at the time expected - but the point is that people knew what they wanted.

A protest with vague / unagreed aims isn't an effective one.

What do we want? - Rodgers Out!
When do we want it? - Well, some of us want it now, but others think there's no point until we get to the transfer window and anyway we can't agree on who should take-over or if they'd do better.

Nail on head.

The Port Vale (and before that Crystal Palace) protests were borne out of months of pent up angst which were triggered by particularly woeful home performances. The pitch invasions were totally spontaneous.

We had a near miss in 2000 against Northampton (?) when a large number of us gathered at the front of the East Stand to go on the pitch, only for Barry Hunter to score a late equaliser and totally take the wind from our sails. The pitch invasion never materialised (though it did later against Cambridge, though on a much smaller scale).

You need common purpose, but also a catalyst.

At the moment there is no common purpose, and we've yet to find out whether the Leicester game will provide a catalyst.
Last edited by Jerry St Clair on 21 Oct 2009 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 21 Oct 2009 13:31

Surely with the next game on Sky SJM will be giving one of his pitchside interviews (full confidence in the manager, temporary blip, difficulties in coming down from the prem etc) and there will be scope for a questioning of his management and financial abilities if anybody can be arsed to leave the concourse - even more so if he decides on his normal regal wave and lets all applaud me in the stadium named after me routine.