Why was he appointed?

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
true blue 4 ever

Why was he appointed?

by true blue 4 ever » 31 Oct 2009 07:31

I don't understand with his past record why anyone thought he would be a success. Watford equates to about 40% of wins and RFC so far 20%....He must have been cheap....just what SJM likes

Brendan Rodgers's managerial career

Team From To Games Won Lost Drawn
Reading 05-06-2009 Present 16 3 9 4
Watford 24-11-2008 05-06-2009 32 13 12 7

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Why was he appointed?

by Barry the bird boggler » 31 Oct 2009 07:33

Exactly, because he's CHEAP & has Reading links to supposedly win the fans over

fireman_jules

by fireman_jules » 31 Oct 2009 07:43

To be fair , 46 points from 32 games with a doomed watford side wasnt a bad record if you ask me. I just hope he is drastically underacheiving at the moment. He has had to start from scratch which is a daunting task ! I dont envy him at all. Maybe all Reading fans should take a walk in his shoes and seriously ask themselves what they would have done differently. Frustrating times for us fans though regardless !!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 31 Oct 2009 08:03

Appointed because they thought he was the best applicant, so says JM, appointed because his CV looked good, appointed because JM gave him glowing references, appointed because he is RFC through and through.

Did we really need another thread tho?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 31 Oct 2009 08:06

fireman_jules To be fair , 46 points from 32 games with a doomed watford side wasnt a bad record if you ask me. I !!

In which case they were doomed with two less pts than we have after 14 games, so we must be doomed as well.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 31 Oct 2009 09:11

As said before because he's cheap, but I did hear an unconfirmed rumour that the Hammond clan has some relation link to the Rodgers clan.......keep it in the family if this is indeed fact!

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 31 Oct 2009 09:51

The "because he's cheap" theory doesn't ring true to me. Too risky a ploy given the compensation packages demanded in contracts these days and the cost of failure. No, I'm sure they genuinely thought they had another McGhee or Pardew, with the added bonus that only a top top job would lure him away from the club he loves.

See y'all at the Ricoh...

fireman_jules

by fireman_jules » 31 Oct 2009 11:11

Harpers So Solid Crew
fireman_jules To be fair , 46 points from 32 games with a doomed watford side wasnt a bad record if you ask me. I !!

In which case they were doomed with two less pts than we have after 14 games, so we must be doomed as well.

Something major needs to turn around, yes. No shock really though is it when you lose most of your first team squad.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 31 Oct 2009 11:18

true blue 4 ever I don't understand with his past record why anyone thought he would be a success. Watford equates to about 40% of wins and RFC so far 20%....He must have been cheap....just what SJM likes

Brendan Rodgers's managerial career

Team From To Games Won Lost Drawn
Reading 05-06-2009 Present 16 3 9 4
Watford 24-11-2008 05-06-2009 32 13 12 7

I'd settle for a 40% strike rate this season

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 31 Oct 2009 11:58

fireman_jules Maybe all Reading fans should take a walk in his shoes and seriously ask themselves what they would have done differently.

Well here's a few for starters:

1. Kept my frigging gob shut about how good the inherited squad was and how we'd be challenging for promotion even before a ball had been kicked.
2. Kept schtum about Tommy Smith until the deal was either in the bag or dead in the water.
3. Wouldn't have allowed Rosenior and Harper to leave on loan no matter what Mr Mad said
4. Wouldn't have panic bought the shit he did buy - Cummings, (I mean really, I ccould still do a better job at RB at my age), McAnuff, Rasiak and Howard.
5. Woudln't have spent anywhere near £2M on Mills. (and how conme we can find £2M for a virtually unknown, unproven defender when we have 4 in teh squad already, and yet couldn't find £1.5M better spent on an area of the squad that was so depleted??? Smith + £500k = Mills???? Got me baffled that one).
6. Would have sorted out a sensible formation in pre-season, based on the abilitues of the players in the squadm and not some theoretical wish list of how I though the game should be played, and stuck with it.
7. Worked out in pre-season which of the Academy players had a sensible chance of making it this season, and keeping them in the 1st team squad instead of chopping and changing every frigging week, (Karacan, Sigurdsson, Pearce, Davies)

There, it ain't oxf*rd rocket science is it!!!!

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 31 Oct 2009 12:06

He wasn't appointed cause he was cheap.

Pardew would have been the cheap option.

He was appointed because he was the best at the interviews. Which isn't surprising. Anyone who met him can't help but be taken in by the guy.

Sadly it appears to have all been bs. So far anyways.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 31 Oct 2009 12:16

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe He wasn't appointed cause he was cheap.

He was appointed because he was the best at the interviews. Which isn't surprising. Anyone who met him can't help but be taken in by the guy.

According to Egoman he was the outstanding candidate...but we'll never know will we

I expect there were better managers interviewed, but not ones that were happy to work to the contraints that have become obvious since

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 31 Oct 2009 13:07

DOYLERSAROYALER

According to Egoman he was the outstanding candidate...but we'll never know will we

I expect there were better managers interviewed, but not ones that were happy to work to the contraints that have become obvious since

Those who interviewed would have known the score.

Who else would you have appointed? Tisdale, Pardew or Dolan?

I'm not saying JM got it right, certainly wasn't a stupid one, he certainly wasn't the cheap option, certainly wasn't the only option....

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 31 Oct 2009 13:10

strap
fireman_jules Maybe all Reading fans should take a walk in his shoes and seriously ask themselves what they would have done differently.

Well here's a few for starters:

1. Kept my frigging gob shut about how good the inherited squad was and how we'd be challenging for promotion even before a ball had been kicked.
2. Kept schtum about Tommy Smith until the deal was either in the bag or dead in the water.
3. Wouldn't have allowed Rosenior and Harper to leave on loan no matter what Mr Mad said
4. Wouldn't have panic bought the shit he did buy - Cummings, (I mean really, I ccould still do a better job at RB at my age), McAnuff, Rasiak and Howard.
5. Woudln't have spent anywhere near £2M on Mills. (and how conme we can find £2M for a virtually unknown, unproven defender when we have 4 in teh squad already, and yet couldn't find £1.5M better spent on an area of the squad that was so depleted??? Smith + £500k = Mills???? Got me baffled that one).
6. Would have sorted out a sensible formation in pre-season, based on the abilitues of the players in the squadm and not some theoretical wish list of how I though the game should be played, and stuck with it.
7. Worked out in pre-season which of the Academy players had a sensible chance of making it this season, and keeping them in the 1st team squad instead of chopping and changing every frigging week, (Karacan, Sigurdsson, Pearce, Davies)

There, it ain't oxf*rd rocket science is it!!!!

In a partial defence of Rodgers:

1. Him saying that he had inherited a good squad was true at the time and also a way of acknowledging what Coppell had done for us. If he'd said that this season was all about rebuilding, that we might struggle at times then I have no doubt that would have been used against him then and now as evidence of a lack of ambition and people would probably be saying that we were struggling because we have no ambition. Rodgers does say some daft stuff but I honestly believe that people over exaggerate his so called bullshitting.
2. Okay he did oxf*rd up there.
3. And what then be sacked for doing the exact opposite of what his boss wanted him to do?
4. Again hard to defend him but the latter three have shown some promising signs.
5. Unknown, unproven? This guy was wanted by Birmingham last year and Forest this year. Who are these four other central defenders you speak of (Ivar and Pearce were the only natural centre backs). Do agree though that it was a strange to use the money on Mills and not Smith.
6. I think he did and I don't remember too many people complaining about 4-3-3 after the Chelsea game. Maybe the blame for this should be Hammond for organising another tour of Sweden and not stiffer tests. Friendlies for fitness are okay when you have a settled squad/formation but surely it would be better if you were trying new things to have hard games?
7. Again tougher friendlies might have helped but then again pre-season rarely indicates what will happen once the season starts (Leyton Orient 6-1 Newcastle). Apart from Davies I think Rodgers has by now been fairly consistent with his usage of the academy players (Karacan - regular, Church - regular, Robson-Kanu - squad player, Pearce - squad player, Sigurdsson - regular).

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 31 Oct 2009 13:45

DOYLERSAROYALER

Those who interviewed would have known the score.

Who else would you have appointed? Tisdale, Pardew or Dolan?

I'm not saying JM got it right, certainly wasn't a stupid one, he certainly wasn't the cheap option, certainly wasn't the only option....

Yes Yes and Yes to be perfectly honest, none of them would have done as bad a job as Rodgers has to date

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 31 Oct 2009 14:05

One assumes that he did not demand top dollar but I think the main reasons he was appointed are:
1. Dredger is a YES man
2. Hammond doesn't know what the f@ck he is doing.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 31 Oct 2009 14:19

Rodgers got the job because he was the most impressive candidate.

He might be a ball shitter. But he's a very very good at it.

Can't believe people still bang on about Hammond....

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1