Back from the game - Cov Away

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

Back from the game - Cov Away

by Badger Finger » 31 Oct 2009 19:04

Well Well Well...

I wasn't exactly what you would call hopeful going into todays game, and I certainly wasn't expecting that kind of entertainment, in a stadium which makes our place like the Nou Camp on El Classico...

But, what a start. McAnuff, who had the freedom of Mercia did his business. Big Greg did his. A good 1000 odd Biscuitmen (At a guess) explode. The first noise heard in that ground, probably since the Oasis gig in the summer.

One way traffic for the first 15 or so, then Coventry tightened up a bit, even managed a shot or two, but nothing what you would call, threatening. Half time, in control. Bonus.

2nd Half starts, Cov come out all guns blazing, but that really saying much. Wasn't long until Marek took control of the game again. Bit more sustained pressure, McAnuff makes us go nuts once more. Cov score a decent goal, few signs of nerves for a few minutes, but some decent tactical nous (Some might say, for a change) sees Karacan come on for Howard and shore up the centre. Then, 3-1, game over. Turns into a game of keep ball which was enjoyed by all, except Long, who was quite frankly, afraid of the ball and seemed to want to keep it atleast 3 feet off the end of his foot at all times.

BF's MOM - McAnuff.

Ratings - 8 All Round. I can' t be arsed to do each player. I'm lazy like that see...

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game - Cov Away

by Rex » 31 Oct 2009 19:29

We finally put in a convincing display that actually reaps three points. A stunningly quick goal in what, 1 min and before some of our support had dragged themselves from the concourse. I was fully expecting a normal run of form TBH. Coventry never really had much in the first half except one possible goal bound shot which demanded a good reaction save from Fedders. It was probably a meat and potato save but still had my heart in my mouth.

The interval came and Cov, though being contained first half did come out fighting in the second half. We were pretty well in control in the midfield with Matejovsky controlling things well,and were actually looking at going forward down both wings for a change. Kebe had a few moments of inspiration and we seemed to breeze through their defense easily. The team played with conviction and control.

A minor observation was the lack of overlapping play down the right wing. due to this Kebe was found isolated with no support on a few occasions. It broke down the pace of the game.

McANuff took the second goal well and slightly against the run of play. A slight relaxed smile came over my face until they scored a consolation goal. Luckily the team still continued to go forward when a possibly easier option was to completely shut shop. Rasiak scored again after the ball hit the upright and some woeful defending from Cov. Oh and we almost had a third from an own goal.

Overall a deserved win from a laclusture Cov team and a woeful home support. Nothing to grumble about for that game. :D

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 31 Oct 2009 19:30

royalexile We finally put in a convincing display that actually reaps three points. A stunningly quick goal in what, 1 min and before some of our support had dragged themselves from the concourse. I was fully expecting a normal run of form TBH. Coventry never really had much in the first half except one possible goal bound shot which demanded a good reaction save from Fedders. It was probably a meat and potato save but still had my heart in my mouth.

The interval came and Cov, though being contained first half did come out fighting in the second half. We were pretty well in control in the midfield with Matejovsky controlling things well,and were actually looking at going forward down both wings for a change. Kebe had a few moments of inspiration and we seemed to breeze through their defense easily. The team played with conviction and control.

A minor observation was the lack of overlapping play down the right wing. due to this Kebe was found isolated with no support on a few occasions. It broke down the pace of the game.

McANuff took the second goal well and slightly against the run of play. A slight relaxed smile came over my face until they scored a consolation goal. Luckily the team still continued to go forward when a possibly easier option was to completely shut shop. Rasiak scored again after the ball hit the upright and some woeful defending from Cov. Oh and we almost had a third from an own goal.

Overall a deserved win from a laclusture Cov team and a woeful home support. Nothing to grumble about for that game. :D

Kebe?????

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 31 Oct 2009 19:32

royalexile due to this Kebe was found isolated with no support on a few occasions.

:?:

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 31 Oct 2009 19:35

Whoops my eyesight is fooked. :oops:

Carlos

by Carlos » 31 Oct 2009 19:41

great performance from the lads, we really deserved this win. Wasnt too confident beforehand but we played really won and could have won by more. slightly poor turnout and awful atmosphere but understandable as everyone was so nervous we give up our lead.

federici - 8 - good performance. great save from morrisons shot and could do nothing for the goal.

back four - 8/9 - good performance from all, with tabb and ivar excelling. Bertrand looked good going forward too.

Howard - 6 - not a big fan. tries hard but ultimately lacks quality.
Marek - 6 - disappointing. gave the ball away too often and wasnt particularly creative.
sig - 7 - looked good and assured on the ball.
Mcanuff - 10 - absolutely brilliant performance from him today. great cross for the first and wonderful finish for the second. constantly beat the left back and looked really up for it.

church - 5 - very poor performance. poor touch and passing. seems to lack quality.
Rasiak - 9 - great performance. two good finishes, held the ball up well and won plenty of headers.

Overall a good performance and good day out although Long was atrocious. i used to be a fan of his but when he came on he looked disinterested and very unfit, culminating in a reasonably good run against a woeful defence turning into him losing the ball and falling over.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 31 Oct 2009 20:29

That must of been the quietest ground i've ever been in, completely lifeless from both sets of fans. Great start and the back four were comfortable with the full backs doing a decent job of Coventry's wingers. To be honest Coventry were as bad as Barnsley and as far as i'm concerned it's a stay of execution for Rodgers, we only win the last game of each month after all LOL. Would write more but i'm off to a party but a special mention to Long who was absolutely rubbish when he came on.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 31 Oct 2009 20:33

Momentum is such an important word in football.

We seem to be building that which should leave hopefully to consistency.

The most pleasing thing is it seems we didn't panic after they scored. Before every mole hill has become a mountain, we need to get over that. Today will help.

The fans deserve a lot of credit for being so patient....

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 31 Oct 2009 20:41

Finaly a win. Not a fantastic match but we reached average championship level and stayed there and Coventry were the first side I've seen this season, apart from us, who look like relegation contenders - in fact they were sh*te with some very poor defending. That said you can only beat what is put in front of you, and with memories of last season's borefest it was delightful that after about 30 seconds Reading went ahead with a good cross to Rasiak who finished easily. To be honest the game then drifted into a twilight zone of championship rubbish but we looked very comfortable at half time. Even more comfortable second half with the gift of another goal as Coventry tried and failed repeatedly to clear the ball and Mcanuff finished well. Coventry awoke for 5 minutes, Fed saved one shot and missed another 2-1 would we fold - no Brendan's big book of tactics said reorganise and get fresh legs on and we scored a third and could of had a couple more.

Good points from the game - possibly BR has got a team playing championship football at last - plenty of channel ball and plenty of midfield keep ball. A realisation that howard struggles over 90 minutes and can be subbed. Finally realising that the Sig has been linked with our better performances and needs to play.

Player ratings

Fed 6 a couple of good saves not sure about the goal possibly could of got
Bertrand 8 probably our best player looked assured and up for the game
Tabb 6 solid game from a player who doesn't normally play there
Ingi 8 led the back line snuffed out his man
Pearce 6 his kind of game as Cov lumped a lot of stuff in the air down the middle
Howard 6 links well with Matejovsky - stopped trying to run the whole team and relaxed into playing within his own limits
Matejovsky 6 still frustrates but can pick a good pass
The Sig 6 bit like marek not really suited left side but does some things very well and screws up others out there
Mcanuff 7 best game for RFC goal and some good wing play - lost his way a bit in the first half
Rasiak 7 slow and cumbersome but had a good game winning more ball than usual and linking the other forwards well
Church 6 works hard but has still to really develop into a championship player
Subs
Long 4 short of confidence and fitness and is currently not a pretty sight
Karacan 6 what was needed at the time energetic

Jury's still out until we can get the home form sorted we are only 2 points off the bottom - Ipswich at home is now probably the biggest game we have had since Birmingham City last season - simply we cannot afford to lose and somehow we must break the current run without a victory.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 31 Oct 2009 21:10

Badger Finger A good 1000 odd Biscuitmen (At a guess)

Think Gooding said 670-odd on BBCRB.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 31 Oct 2009 21:14

royalexile We finally put in a convincing display that actually reaps three points. A stunningly quick goal in what, 1 min and before some of our support had dragged themselves from the concourse. I was fully expecting a normal run of form TBH. Coventry never really had much in the first half except one possible goal bound shot which demanded a good reaction save from Fedders. It was probably a meat and potato save but still had my heart in my mouth.

Are you sure you were there or are you visually challenged?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 31 Oct 2009 21:39

Coleman is going on about how young their side was, anyone got the facts on how old they were?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 31 Oct 2009 21:48

ZacNaloen Coleman is going on about how young their side was, anyone got the facts on how old they were?

5 of them born since 1989, 3 more in the 80s and 2 in 79 and 1 in 78

Pretty young

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 31 Oct 2009 21:56

Pretty much the same as us then :P

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 31 Oct 2009 21:59

Genuine question about their stadium, i heard it was very nice but your unbiased angle makes it out to be not very good ??

tia

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 31 Oct 2009 22:08

ZacNaloen Pretty much the same as us then :P

Not far off, but they were younger, we only had 2 players born since 89, and 5 players born before 83, to their 3 I think

Not a massive difference, but probably enough to make a difference

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 31 Oct 2009 22:23

For once our early efforts were rewarded with a goal and whilst not a great performance it was workmanlike and Coventry never looked likely to get back into the game. Defence looked much better qwith Ingi back and certainly the best I have seen from Raziak so far. I still do not understand the logic of replacing Church with Long early in the second half for the second game running. Whilst Church is not scoring he is getting into some great positions and surely the sensible thing would be to persevere with him and the goals will come. The unfit Long was always a yard and a half off the pace and never looked like scoring. You might as well play with 10 men as put him on IMHO.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 31 Oct 2009 22:53

Thanks BR.

Not a shocker the only downside is the useless Long. Sadly stuck with him more than we may have been now Hunt is out for the season.

Blue Biscuit

by Blue Biscuit » 31 Oct 2009 23:59

Good game, which we deserved to win against a poor Coventry side. We looked good at set pieces, although our defending of corners and other set pieces still looks shaky. Mateovsky was atrocious in the first half, he just could not get his passing game going, and he just doesn't do tackling. He was better in the second. Macanuff was the pick of the bunch along with Tabb. I felt Long for Church was a poor sub, as Long just doesn't look fit, and Church for all his inexperience would have run all afternoon. Jem for Howard was a good swap. Steadied things when it needed it, and Howard tends to go 'missing' on occasions. All in all a good afternoon. Just hope BR sticks with the same starting eleven next weekend.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 01 Nov 2009 00:03

Blue Biscuit Just hope BR sticks with the same starting eleven next weekend.

Would this be a first?