We're catching up

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

We're catching up

by rhroyal » 08 Nov 2009 04:46

A couple of weeks ago I, and a lot of other people, feared that a mini-league was forming with the bottom 4. We were 4 points adrift off the rest. A couple of good results for the lower teams, and all of a sudden we're only 3 points behind the team placed in 14th. There's then a 5 point gap between the bottom and top of the table. With our fixtures coming up, it's not unrealistic to be "top of the bottom" in 3 or 4 games time and look in a position to push up.

We do, however, need to win games when we're on top. We've been the better side in our last 3 matches and have only won 1 of them. Based on each performance and game we really should have had 9 points, not 4. It's a problem that must be addressed, performances don't help you climb the table.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: We're catching up

by The whole year inn » 08 Nov 2009 05:09

Bit worried with BR's words earlier in the week that finding a striker was not a priority for him :|

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 08 Nov 2009 08:58

We're doing something right. Leicester said they played bad against us, Coventry said they played bad against us, now Keane says Ipswich played bad against us.

If there's anything good about our bad run is that it's early in the season when there are plenty of games to put it right; because other teams may have their bad run later. A couple of weeks ago, we, Ipswich, and Plymouth were definitely the worst teams in the league; but Derby, Coventry, and Scunthorpe are arguably now worse, as plainly are Peterborough. Derby and Coventry are complaining of injuries, but Reading have the squad to ride injuries, which gives us an advantage over certain clubs. The need for a sharp striker is obvious, though.

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 08 Nov 2009 09:03

We are going down. No-one in on loan last week tells you all you need to know about the club's ambition. Nothing up front, weak at the back at unlucky, week after week. Stinks of relegation.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 08 Nov 2009 09:17

I was going to make the same point ...

It may be "barely acceptable" with Rodgers under pressure, that we achieve only a home draw against the bottom team, and drop back one place into the zone, at a time when we thought we had actually started to make progress, with a bit of stability and form at last ....

.... But in fact we are only one or two results of 14th spot !

Time to hang in there and put in a better than average run. Come on UUURRRRZZZZ.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 08 Nov 2009 09:33

:shock: Positivity?
That must be why HNA? was in meltdown for the past two days...

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 Nov 2009 11:13

Season is only just beginning. Look at Ispwichs recent form including yesterday since the Newcastle drubbing.

Played 7 Won 1 Drawn 5 Lost 1

Not bad for a team that was bottom of the league. Just like BR, Roy Keane is progressively putting a team together. It takes time.

Results over next 10 games will give a better picture of the league.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 08 Nov 2009 11:18

Mad Dog's Ghost We are going down. No-one in on loan last week tells you all you need to know about the club's ambition. Nothing up front, weak at the back at unlucky, week after week. Stinks of relegation.

You know it fella. From the highlights of FLShow lat night, Ipswich were clearly a better side than ourselves. Apparently we had 4 shots on target yesterday. Well clearly the cameraman was asleeo as he missed them all. or does glancing the woodwork count as "on target" now?!?

As for Church's goal, don't make me laugh - Sigurdsson's "shot" was going wide from about 6 yds out, and cannoned of some part of Church's body whilst he was trying to get out of the way!

The penalty shot on Lng was equally ridiculous - Long was running towards the corner flag chasing the ball, if he had the ball under control I'm a Chinaman!

We were shocking, and Ipswich would be pissed they didn't win. Just how bad must Coventry be for us to beat them 3-1!!!!!

Down before Easter, nailed on. Rodger's has GOT to go. No ifs, no buts, not maybes, no "give him more time". He is so totally out of his depth it is embarassing. At least he's finally learnt that Cummings canl' play football, but I dare say the other plank will now be reinstated as his divine right. Funny how our slide down the league has coincoded with Kebe joining the club isn't it? Maybe after 50 odd games with Kebe, the "manager" might just realise that on the whole it's best to start each game with 11 footballers, and not 10 players and a wannabe sprinter. :evil:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 08 Nov 2009 11:23

strap The penalty shot on Lng was equally ridiculous - Long was running towards the corner flag chasing the ball, if he had the ball under control I'm a Chinaman!

So it's legitimate to take someone out just below the knee if they don't have the ball or aren't facing the goal? :shock:

A foul is a foul regardless of where the ball is or where on the pitch it happens.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 08 Nov 2009 11:28

strap
Mad Dog's Ghost We are going down. No-one in on loan last week tells you all you need to know about the club's ambition. Nothing up front, weak at the back at unlucky, week after week. Stinks of relegation.

You know it fella. From the highlights of FLShow lat night, Ipswich were clearly a better side than ourselves. Apparently we had 4 shots on target yesterday. Well clearly the cameraman was asleeo as he missed them all. or does glancing the woodwork count as "on target" now?!?

As for Church's goal, don't make me laugh - Sigurdsson's "shot" was going wide from about 6 yds out, and cannoned of some part of Church's body whilst he was trying to get out of the way!

The penalty shot on Lng was equally ridiculous - Long was running towards the corner flag chasing the ball, if he had the ball under control I'm a Chinaman!

We were shocking, and Ipswich would be pissed they didn't win. Just how bad must Coventry be for us to beat them 3-1!!!!!

Out of interest, were you at the game or is this opinion all taken from the highlights?

Your comment about the Long foul is just plain silly - if he was fouled in the box it's a penalty, regardless of where the ball was.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Nov 2009 11:58

Lol.what a moron. Nailed on pen,as confirmed by every expro ive heard comment on it. Even keano sounded like he knew theyd been a tad lucky,And kebe didnt start and looked more dangerous than most when he came on

Madstad to Nadderud

by Madstad to Nadderud » 08 Nov 2009 12:04

strap

Down before Easter, nailed on. Rodger's has GOT to go. No ifs, no buts, not maybes, no "give him more time". He is so totally out of his depth it is embarassing.

Spot on. It was so depressing, and to be expected, that news regarding a possible loan signing was soon to happen but as is the norm with Reading these past few seasons the usual was mentioned that "We are going to go with what we've got" when clearly RFC are in need of someone who can score goals. Funny how BR is mentioning the same regarding possible signings, as Steve Coppell did, and then stepping back and doing nothing about it. Therefore perhaps the JM wallet is well and truly closed until RFC is sold to a new owner? Clearly not all blame rests with big watch man.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 08 Nov 2009 13:00

Changing the manager is an irrelevance. We need serious investment in the squad both on and off the pitch. It makes me really angry to see pub team football played by so called professionals.

The finger is pointed clearly at SJM. He must go and go now. His shelf life has passed and the sooner he can go, with a bit of dignity intact, the better for all concerned. New owners urgently required and FAST!

FWIW, I saw little or no teamwork yesterday. Little or no cohesion. Little or no understanding or awareness of collagues and their movements. And yet there are some nobbers creaming themselves because if we win a couple of games we could go 14th? Woopy fuking doo!

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 08 Nov 2009 13:19

Terminal Boardom Changing the manager is an irrelevance. We need serious investment in the squad both on and off the pitch. It makes me really angry to see pub team football played by so called professionals.

The finger is pointed clearly at SJM. He must go and go now. His shelf life has passed and the sooner he can go, with a bit of dignity intact, the better for all concerned. New owners urgently required and FAST!

FWIW, I saw little or no teamwork yesterday. Little or no cohesion. Little or no understanding or awareness of collagues and their movements. And yet there are some nobbers creaming themselves because if we win a couple of games we could go 14th? Woopy fuking doo!

Elsewhere it has been said we have the 10th highest wage bill in the Championship.

I know for fact Reading's budget is far, far bigger than Bristol City's.

I'm not sure this is totally JM's fault. The players we have signed are on very good wages. I don't think we have a budget that means we demand promotion by BR but for the money he has had we should be doing better.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 08 Nov 2009 13:48

The obvious differences between us and BC is that Gary Johnson has tons of managerial experience and his squad is a good combination of youth and experience. What do we have? We DO have youth and experience but it hasn't gelled as a team. Why is this?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Nov 2009 13:50

Terminal Boardom

The obvious differences between us and BC is that Gary Johnson has tons of managerial experience and his squad is a good combination of youth and experience. What do we have? We DO have youth and experience but it hasn't gelled as a team. Why is this?

Hmm problems with the team gelling? Now, do I think that's an issue caused by the chairman and money, or do I think it's a problem the manager should be responsible for? Tough call that. :roll:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 08 Nov 2009 14:00

Ian Royal
Terminal Boardom

Hmm problems with the team gelling? Now, do I think that's an issue caused by the chairman and money, or do I think it's a problem the manager should be responsible for? Tough call that. :roll:

What we have had is a huge turn around in playing personnel if you hadn't noticed. When you combine 7 new signings with a bunch of reserve and Academy kids, cohesion and gelling will not occur imediately. This is why a more experienced manager should have been appointed. Anyone coming in now would just have less time to try and perform miracles. Now, WHO is responsible for this?

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 08 Nov 2009 14:12

Fair play TB, you've written one the first anti-Madejski post I can't disagree with. None of this "selling the family silver" rubbish when we obviously had no choice. Likewise none of "tight arse" rubbish when we have spent enough to be doing better. However a complete turnaround over the summer, with the decision to release Dillon throwing out more stability than necessary. He then appointed a new manager who has very little managerial experience and allowed him to bring an entire backroom of staff who have little understanding of this club, nor the playing staff they were coming in on.

I still can't understand for the life of me why we let Dillon go. Best of luck to him at Aldersh*t.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 08 Nov 2009 14:15

rhroyal Fair play TB, you've written one the first anti-Madejski post I can't disagree with. None of this "selling the family silver" rubbish when we obviously had no choice. Likewise none of "tight arse" rubbish when we have spent enough to be doing better. However a complete turnaround over the summer, with the decision to release Dillon throwing out more stability than necessary. He then appointed a new manager who has very little managerial experience and allowed him to bring an entire backroom of staff who have little understanding of this club, nor the playing staff they were coming in on.

I still can't understand for the life of me why we let Dillon go. Best of luck to him at Aldersh*t.

Agree about Dillon. I think it was probably the right time for Wally to go but Dillon should have been kept in the same way Chris Hughton was at Spurs for over 10 years. He would have known Rodgers as well so I'm sure they could have worked together.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 08 Nov 2009 14:18

Wally's allegiance was to Coppell but very few people know this club better than Dillon.