Corners

Ryn

Corners

by Ryn » 17 Nov 2009 10:31

Does anyone have any stats as to how many corners we have won this season so far compared to other teams we have played against?

I have a hunch that we have won an exceptional amount and failed to capitalise on them, barring a scant few occasions where Matt Mills has got on the end of one.

The Ipswich game for example we won 12 corners to their 3.

I'm not trying to prove anything, I just want to amuse myself until the football returns on Saturday :)

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Corners

by Compo's Hat » 17 Nov 2009 11:05

Wonder how many of those we've wasted by taking short?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 17 Nov 2009 11:07

Ryn barring a scant few occasions where Matt Mills has got on the end of one.

A few? He's only scored twice.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 17 Nov 2009 11:21

Didnt the Forest game take something like 70mins before either team won a corner? some kind of record anyway. i was thinking the opposite!

ROY AL

by ROY AL » 17 Nov 2009 12:10

Thaumagurist*

based on goals per game appearances then - Mills, Central defender stats more or less same as our strikers.......

Bacon Double Cheese
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Lincoln, the home of quality football and Peterborough which isn't

by Bacon Double Cheese » 17 Nov 2009 12:41

We have definitely had four corners in each match that I have attended.

jollyjiminy

by jollyjiminy » 17 Nov 2009 13:04

Maybe indeed we do get 12 corner's while our opponents only get 3, but am I the only one who's bricking it during their 3?

Ryn

by Ryn » 17 Nov 2009 13:04

Bacon Double Cheese We have definitely had four corners in each match that I have attended.

As opposed to playing on an Aussie Rules pitch? :roll:

Ryn

by Ryn » 17 Nov 2009 13:05

Thaumagurist*

TBH two goals is a few.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 17 Nov 2009 13:30

jollyjiminy Maybe indeed we do get 12 corner's while our opponents only get 3, but am I the only one who's bricking it during their 3?

No, with our current team we're definately not dominant in the air. Both full backs are midgets, the entire midfield can't head the ball and neither Pearce or Inga are really a massive physical presence. When you add to that we have a goal keeper who is clueless when it comes to dominating his area, I'm shitting myself every corner we concede.

You've only got to look at the last 2 goals we've conceded at home to see we are vulnerable to balls in the box.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 17 Nov 2009 17:39

Thaumagurist*

And neither were from corners HTH.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 17 Nov 2009 17:56

Compo's Hat Wonder how many of those we've wasted by taking short?

Yep, good point. Whats wrong with the classic method of just putting the ball in the box?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Nov 2009 17:59

I normally hate short corners, but the ones I've seen us take have been far more effective (on the whole) than a lot of the aimless balls pumped into the box for the keeper to take or the first defender to clear.

We nearly scored an excellent one against Leicester (I think it was them). We looked at our most dangerous against QPR with Kebe and Howard combining on the right flank, often from short corners.

BB104

by BB104 » 17 Nov 2009 18:12

This could be complete rubbish (been trying to find a reference), but I recall a match between Man Utd and Leicester. Leicester won 15 corners and Man Utd won none. The score was 7 - nil to United.

So corners are corners, goals are what count!

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Nov 2009 18:33

Set pieces are very important in this league where there is not that much between most of the sides.

During the first half of last season we scored a lot of goals from corners and free kicks particularly from SHunt and this is something that needs working on.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Nov 2009 19:52

Mid Sussex Royal Set pieces are very important in this league where there is not that much between most of the sides.

During the first half of last season we scored a lot of goals from corners and free kicks particularly from SHunt and this is something that needs working on.

We've got a fair old proprotion of our goals from set pieces this season. I'd personally say we need to work on goals from open play to a much much greater extent.

Ryn

by Ryn » 18 Nov 2009 09:56

Completely agree, goals in open play are what we are lacking, but while we are lacking in that area it would be great if we could make a bit more of what we have in terms of set pieces.

A ball properly delivered from a corner can be a real danger if it comes down between the penalty spot and the goal, that bit is usually congested with players and that makes it difficult for the keeper to claim the ball.

Even if it gets flicked out by the defending team it would be great to have someone lurking on the edge of the box to slam it back towards the goal. A good role for Howard perhaps?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Nov 2009 12:22

Ryn Completely agree, goals in open play are what we are lacking, but while we are lacking in that area it would be great if we could make a bit more of what we have in terms of set pieces.

A ball properly delivered from a corner can be a real danger if it comes down between the penalty spot and the goal, that bit is usually congested with players and that makes it difficult for the keeper to claim the ball.

Even if it gets flicked out by the defending team it would be great to have someone lurking on the edge of the box to slam it back towards the goal. A good role for Howard perhaps?

Or Siggurdsson, Matejovsky or Davies.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 18 Nov 2009 13:32

Ian Royal
Ryn Completely agree, goals in open play are what we are lacking, but while we are lacking in that area it would be great if we could make a bit more of what we have in terms of set pieces.

The Sig should be taking every set piece we have when he's on the pitch. Best set piece taker we've had since Caskey.

How Howard always seems to get to take some of these is beyond me as he completely wastes most of them.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 18 Nov 2009 13:53

Compo's Hat
Ian Royal

The Sig should be taking every set piece we have when he's on the pitch. Best set piece taker we've had since Caskey.

How Howard always seems to get to take some of these is beyond me as he completely wastes most of them.

+1
Goal at Posh was superb, as was the cross for Church