Jay Tabb is not a full back

Forest Gump

Jay Tabb is not a full back

by Forest Gump » 01 Dec 2009 00:34

I like Jay a lot. He is an energetic gutsy player but was signed as a midfield replacement for Stephen Hunt and has played in the midfield most of his career.

While deserving a lot of credit for the Reading goal both of Derby's goals and several more chances came down their left and behind our right back. With five in midfield I can't understand why Tabb was pushing forward so much and leaving spaces behind.

I think it's time for Rodger to stop fooling himself that it is good enough to improvise at this level, admit that Cummings is not up to it and start looking for a proper RB.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Jay Tabb is not a full back

by Royalee » 01 Dec 2009 02:24

First goal Ingimarsson, second goal Kebe.

Hope this helps.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 01 Dec 2009 06:27

Murty wasn't a full back when we signed him either....

The lads been a steady head during a troubled time for the back 4, long term is he the answer? the jury is out but at present the lad is the best option and deserves time to improve on some already impressive displays.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Dec 2009 08:41

Tabb >>>>> injured Kelly >>>>>> Cummings

HTH

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Dec 2009 09:00

Wimb Murty wasn't a full back when we signed him either....

But at least Murty was right-sided.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Dec 2009 09:02

Forest Gump I think it's time for Rodger to stop fooling himself that it is good enough to improvise at this level, admit that Cummings is not up to it and start looking for a proper RB.

1) How do you know he is "fooling himself"?
2) Hasn't he already admitted Cummings isn't up to it by dropping him? Or do you want him to publicly announce that Cummings is crap?
3) How do you know he isn't looking for a right back?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 01 Dec 2009 09:06

Wycombe Royal

But at least Murty was right-sided.

Well valid, but the point remains that just because you were signed in 1 position doesn't mean you can't learn another ;)

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 01 Dec 2009 09:32

Tabb is a left footed player playing at right back because we have no one else to play there as Cummings is not good enough and Kelly is injured so it is a tough ask.

Is there another left footed player playing at right back in the Premiership and Football League I doubt it!!

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 01 Dec 2009 09:39

i actually agree with quite a lot the Gumpsmeister says, the only problem is there is nobody else. Cummings is so bad he would struggle to get in Twyford Comets first 11 at the moment, Kelly is injured and Gunnarsson is too slow.

Im as good as 100% sure we will sign someone in Jan, in my view 2 months too late as we should have pulled out all the stops to get someone on loan who plays in that position and who is right footed.

In all honesty i don't really blame Rodgers,i think he's getting a raw deal, i blame that Rodent Hammond.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 01 Dec 2009 09:41

I would be happier and more confident about our defensive abilities if we had a decent, natural right back. Short Comings has had an appalling start. Good pro that Tabb is, first and foremost he is not a right back.

These threads make me laugh. To think that by changing one player for another would actually make a difference! Defensively we are a shambles and has been posted elsewhere, defending is the responsibility of the whole team startin at the front. I can not recall seeing Rasiak or Church doing much in the closing down stakes. Neither of our wingers are that great at it either. Do the coaches know what they are doing? Do they have a plan?

Why blame Hammond? It is like blaming a concentration camp guard for all the deaths brought about by the "Final Solution". He is only following orders!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 01 Dec 2009 09:43

The problem stems back from not replacing Steve Swailes.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 01 Dec 2009 09:44

Terminal Boardom I would be happier and more confident about our defensive abilities if we had a decent, natural right back. Short Comings has had an appalling start. Good pro that Tabb is, first and foremost he is not a right back.

These threads make me laugh. To think that by changing one player for another would actually make a difference! Defensively we are a shambles and has been posted elsewhere, defending is the responsibility of the whole team startin at the front. I can not recall seeing Rasiak or Church doing much in the closing down stakes. Neither of our wingers are that great at it either. Do the coaches know what they are doing? Do they have a plan?

Why blame Hammond? It is like blaming a concentration camp guard for all the deaths brought about by the "Final Solution". He is only following orders!

Thats where i disagree TB, i think its Rodgers following the orders not Hammond.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 01 Dec 2009 09:50

Focher
Terminal Boardom I would be happier and more confident about our defensive abilities if we had a decent, natural right back. Short Comings has had an appalling start. Good pro that Tabb is, first and foremost he is not a right back.

Thats where i disagree TB, i think its Rodgers following the orders not Hammond.

Everyone is following orders. Hammond/Rodgers can only try and make the best of the situation.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 01 Dec 2009 10:23

Both goals came from that side on saturday but neither was down to Tabb.
All these posts but not one actually outlines why Tabb cannot play as a full back.
If he was a right footer playing left back would we be having this discussion?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Dec 2009 10:35

Negative_Jeff If he was a right footer playing left back would we be having this discussion?

Yes we would, as that would just be the exact opposite of what we are discussing here.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 01 Dec 2009 10:56

Neither was Mick Gooding.

Very good versatile players are worthwhile having at the club. Shame that they're very rare these days.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Dec 2009 11:16

Thaumagurist*

Very good versatile players are worthwhile having at the club. Shame that they're very rare these days.

Rare? Are they?

We've got Gunnarsson, Cisse, Tabb who are all pretty versatile, plus nearly all our wingers have played on different sides and sometimes upfront.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 01 Dec 2009 11:20

Tabb may not be a full-back, but he's probably been our best and most consistent player this season. What does that say about the ones playing in their natural position?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 01 Dec 2009 11:24

Hoop Blah
Thaumagurist*

Rare? Are they?

We've got Gunnarsson, Cisse, Tabb who are all pretty versatile, plus nearly all our wingers have played on different sides and sometimes upfront.

You might be right, but I don't think Cisse is good at centre back. His first touch is sometimes terrible.

Wongle

by Wongle » 01 Dec 2009 11:25

And Long is not fit to wear the shirt!