12%
Graham Stack
10%

Total votes: 123
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Worst Reading goalkeeper?

by floyd__streete » 09 Dec 2009 00:31

To be fair to Federici - much like Sheppard - he has followed one of our best goalkeepers ever but doesn't he just show Hahnemann in an even better light. I only go back really as far as Steve Francis, so in the last 20 years or so who has been the least competent RFC goalkeeper?

Overwhelming temptation to go for Colgan who I think will get plenty of 'love' from those who saw him play, Mihaylov never looked particularly bothered and wore a terrible wig, Howie was scottish which is never a good thing for a goalkeeper to be and his performance at Wycombe in a 5-3 loss will stay with me until my dying day. Simon Sheppard might just as well have worn oven gloves than goalkeeping gloves, Nick(y) Hammond was - and indeed still is - never anything better than average, whilst Peter Van der Kwaak at least gets bonus points for having a surname which sounds like a 1970's dutch cop show. Graham Stack kept fewer clean sheets than an incontient octogenarian whilst Federici is perhaps the only Australian who isn't very good at sport.

Who wins the HNA Sondico gloves of Shite? You decide.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 09 Dec 2009 00:34, edited 2 times in total.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Worst Reading goalkeeper?

by Sarah Star » 09 Dec 2009 00:32

What was Sal Bibbo like as a goalie?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 09 Dec 2009 00:33

Nicky Colgan's performance in our 3-0 home defeat vs Port Vale ruined my Easter in the mid-late 90s. For that, I can't forgive him.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Dec 2009 00:34

Colgan or Sheppard for me. probably Colgan he was utter crap.

Federici grinds my gears more than any previous Reading keeper I can remember. I just accepted keepers were crap in the late 90's early 00's. Howie was occasionally good, Mautone was decent but couldn't kick and was always injured. Whitehead finally gave Reading some stability. Those keepers post Shaka before Whitehead were all awful .

I said last season when people were questioning Marcus and wanting Federici Reading will miss Marcus massively. He is a solid dependable keeper who will make a few mistakes a season but for 90% of the time he would be 7/10, no frills solid. That is absolutely hard to get. At 36/37 he'd have been ideal to keep on as the club captain this season, it's no surprise to me that he has shifted the dump Hennessey from the Wolves team and put in a MOTM performance last week.

Now in the words of Thou voice, DO YOU SEE?
Last edited by Alan Partridge on 09 Dec 2009 00:44, edited 1 time in total.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Dec 2009 00:34

Sheppard for me, I don't even reckon he could get a game for San Marino's Paralympic team. I'm trying to pick out one disability he had but there are too many to choose from.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 09 Dec 2009 00:36

Sarah Star What was Sal Bibbo like as a goalie?

Not very good.

HTH.
Last edited by handbags_harris on 09 Dec 2009 00:38, edited 2 times in total.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 09 Dec 2009 00:37

handbags_harris Not very good.

HTH.

Hope he's a better teacher than a doer then.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 09 Dec 2009 00:37

Is it ok for me to add Gary Westwood to this please? He could not kick it over the half way line :|

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 09 Dec 2009 02:41

Big Foot Nicky Colgan's performance in our 3-0 home defeat vs Port Vale ruined my Easter in the mid-late 90s. For that, I can't forgive him.

Truely pathetic day that was, Brendon's turn soon.

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/070398.html

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 09 Dec 2009 03:11

Royalee Sheppard for me, I don't even reckon he could get a game for San Marino's Paralympic team. I'm trying to pick out one disability he had but there are too many to choose from.

Quite

Sheppard made all the rest on that list look like world beaters and, as for Marcus, he was fat and couldn't kick straight so who cares if he would have kept a clean sheet tonight.....................

Alan Partridge I said last season when people were questioning Marcus and wanting Federici Reading will miss Marcus massively. He is a solid dependable keeper who will make a few mistakes a season but for 90% of the time he would be 7/10, no frills solid. That is absolutely hard to get. At 36/37 he'd have been ideal to keep on as the club captain this season, it's no surprise to me that he has shifted the dump Hennessey from the Wolves team and put in a MOTM performance last week.

Spot on

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 09 Dec 2009 07:57

Royalee Sheppard for me, I don't even reckon he could get a game for San Marino's Paralympic team. I'm trying to pick out one disability he had but there are too many to choose from.

And me, still remember him running out of his goal at Elm Park straight into the back of Wdowczyk, meanwhile the ball....

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 09 Dec 2009 07:59

I think I was frustrated with USA because he wasn't as solid as he used to be. Brum at home was an example. I'd still rather have USA in his current "past his prime" state than Fedders right now though.

Ryn

by Ryn » 09 Dec 2009 08:05

AFed for me. Spaghetti arms and butter fingers. Indecisive. No aerial ability. Beaten at his near post easily.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 09 Dec 2009 08:14

Barry the bird boggler

And me, still remember him running out of his goal at Elm Park straight into the back of Wdowczyk, meanwhile the ball....

I can also vaguely recall that, might have been against Luton.

Despite some strong competition Sheppard is easily the worst I've seen, special mentions for Howie's worst ever single performance by anyone ever against Wycombe and Westwood inadvertently sitting on the ball at Valley Parade.

Christ. :roll:

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 09 Dec 2009 09:20

Big Foot Nicky Colgan's performance in our 3-0 home defeat vs Port Vale ruined my Easter in the mid-late 90s. For that, I can't forgive him.

Great shout, he was absolute pony but Peter VDK wins this easily.

southstand67

by southstand67 » 09 Dec 2009 09:24

Focher Is it ok for me to add Gary Westwood to this please? He could not kick it over the half way line :|

Westwood was better than Fed.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 09 Dec 2009 09:33

Howie’s performance at Wycombe was indeed the worst display I’ve ever seen. Though Eric Nixon’s one-match-superstar-appearance against Leeds in the cup, isn't far behind.

Really think Bibbo has got to take some of the flak aimed at Federici. He’s far worse this season, his strength last year was his superb distribution. That’s non-existent these days, he’s so slow it’s painful and the basic errors he keeps making should be easy to iron out, if the goalkeeping coach was earning his corn.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 09 Dec 2009 09:40

Simon Shepherd - the worst professional football player I have ever seen bar none.

I've have played with several keepers in park football who were far better than him, indeed, our very our Alan Partridge is infinately better than him. I remain bemused how he convinced anyone to offer him a contract, let alone found his way into the first team.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 09 Dec 2009 09:40

Sheppard, other than one out of the box MOM display away to Leicester ws unremiitingly awful. At least with Feds you have a bit of confidence about him, but Sheppard would be consistent in making at least one howler per match.

Truly dreadful keeper.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Dec 2009 09:47

Whore Jackie Howie’s performance at Wycombe was indeed the worst display I’ve ever seen. Though Eric Nixon’s one-match-superstar-appearance against Leeds in the cup, isn't far behind.

Really think Bibbo has got to take some of the flak aimed at Federici. He’s far worse this season, his strength last year was his superb distribution. That’s non-existent these days, he’s so slow it’s painful and the basic errors he keeps making should be easy to iron out, if the goalkeeping coach was earning his corn.

Federici has always made plenty of errors and conceeded soft goals though.

His brief spell replacing Hahnemann in the team last season (including the Birmingham away game I think) he looked much improved BUT at the same time he didn't really have a lot to do in any of those games.

He makes needless camera saves, conceeds soft goals and is far too inconsistent.

We do miss Hanhnemann because he was an excellent keeper, and better than Federici, but I still think it was probably the right thing to let him go in the summer.

As for the worst, Colgan or Sheppard for me, I really can't decide!