Sir John: `Brendan was not a mistake' from the Chronic

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Sir John: `Brendan was not a mistake' from the Chronic

by readingbedding » 18 Dec 2009 18:18

SIR John Madejski is convinced that appointing Brendan Rodgers was the correct thing to do despite his departure after just 21 Championship games.

Rodgers left his post at Watford in the summer following a relentless pursuit from Reading as they searched for Steve Coppell's replacement.

Royals chairman Madejski paid the Hornets around £500,000 in compensation to land the 36-year-old Northern Irishman, who described his role at Reading as his `dream job.'

But after just 195 days in the hotseat Rodgers was axed at a board meeting on Wednesday afternoon with Reading languishing near the relegation zone.

Rodgers will receive a significant six-figure pay-off as he was only six months into a three year contract.

However, Madejski insisted the club made the right choice.

"You can always be clever in hindsight," he said. "We felt Brendan was the right man for the job but things didn't work out as we expected them to. It's very sad all round."

But he strongly denied reports claiming the pair parted company after a massive fall-out during the meeting, insisting: "I absolutely deny it. We have never fallen out and we have a great relationship."

And he refused to rule out Rodgers returning to the Madejski Stadium one day in the future.

"I'd have no problem with Brendan coming back in some role," he declared. "He's a fine guy and very respectful of the club, hard working and we had a great relationship.

"My personal relationship with him has always been first-class. As I said, it was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make."

Chief scout and former reserve team coach Brian McDermott has since been in temporary charge of first-team affairs for Saturday's trip to Bristol City with Nigel Gibbs as his assistant.

And Madejski revealed 48-year-old McDermott could land the role on a permanent basis.

"I want to give Brian and the team around him all the support in the world," he said.

"The most important is that hearts and minds are concentrated on Saturday. We need cool heads.

"There will be fans who agree with what's happened and fans who don't.

"But Reading Football Club goes on. We're a great club and we're all doing our very best."

However, Madejski says his phone hasn't stopped ringing since the news broke, with Darren Ferguson, Gareth Southgate, Alan Curbishley and Lawrie Sanchez among the bookies' favourites.

There are also rumours Coppell may be in line for a sensational return - just six month since he left declaring a change of direction was best for the club and himself.

"A whole myriad of people have been getting in touch," said Madejski. "The phone has been ringing.

"But I'm not going to speculate."

Madejski was clear on one thing - that the club will not spend beyond its means and fall into the administration trap.

"Unless you've been on planet Tharg you must have noticed there's a big recession going on," said the Autotrader founder.

"Football like everything else is under immense pressure at the moment. Our receipts are 60% down and we've got to live in the real world.

"I've been banging on about this for years. But we at Reading will do our very best to maintain the best quality of football we can produce.

"I'm in total admiration of all our staff who work tirelessly to make things happen."

And he also repeated his interest in selling the club one day.

"I've been chairman for nearly 20 years and I've been trying to sell it for 20 years. But it's not easy to sell.

"But I will say this, I'm as committed to Reading Football Club as I ever have been.

"We're a community club and I hope local people will get behind us and support us through this difficult time."

Madejski skirted around the issue of whether the new manager will be given funds to spend in January, though the theory is that a lack of money was one of the reasons behind Rodgers' departure.

But Madejski felt the squad was under-achieving under Rodgers, who won five of his 21 league games.

"We've got quite an in depth squad, one of the biggest and costliest in the Championship," he stated.

"But every club expects to be doing better and we're no different here."

Meanwhile, Madejski will be Ashton Gate tomorrow (3pm ko) as Reading take on Gary Johnson's Robins who have lost just one league game at home since last December.

And Madejski added: "I'd like to wish all our fans a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

"I hope everyone gets right behind the team and Brian because we need to focus on Saturday."

Strike duo Shane Long and Simon Church are likely to be recalled to the squad while Ryan Bertrand will return after a bout of tonsillitis.

However, a number of players are being monitored after suffering flu-like symptoms this week.

Personally I feel Bodgers is going to be livid about what's happened, but it's a results business.
Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Sir John: `Brendan was not a mistake' from the Chronic

by RoyalBlue » 18 Dec 2009 18:53

"We've got quite an in depth squad, one of the biggest and costliest in the Championship,"

What's up John, had a bang on the head. You forgot to add your usual crap about it demonstrating your real ambition to return to the Premier League.

As for one of the biggest and costliest, I somehow doubt that now applies following you cutting the cloth to shreds. But thereagain, that statement is probably just to warm us up for yet more cuts. Somehow I'm beginnning to think the club wasn't quite as well run in the past as you had your publicists make out.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 18 Dec 2009 18:59

The more I listen to/read his interviews, the more I dislike him.
He has honest intentions, but his actions contradict what he says.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 18 Dec 2009 19:06

SteveRoyal The more I listen to/read his interviews, the more I dislike him.

What did you object to specifically?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 18 Dec 2009 19:17

RoyalBlue Somehow I'm beginnning to think the club wasn't quite as well run in the past as you had your publicists make out.

Called this out months ago. We are not a well run club in the slightest. Any club who has to sell more or less the entire first team squad to " cut cloth" is poorly run. The only plus point is we aren't in administration. Never really liked Madejski he's always been a patronising arrogant rambler to our fanbase and the media. He claims he's " not a football man" then goes on to make comments on the squads size and ability. He's done a lot for the club in regards to putting us on the map, but the club has done a lot for him in return. Time to sever our ties.
Last edited by FiNeRaIn on 18 Dec 2009 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 18 Dec 2009 19:18

Arch

What did you object to specifically?

Sacking Rodgers' with no clear intention of what he was going to do afterwards, perhaps?
The club is now in limbo.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Dec 2009 19:18

I want to give Brian and the team around him all the support in the world,
What does this actually mean?

I've been chairman for nearly 20 years and I've been trying to sell it for 20 years.
So, as I heard recently, this confirms that he was tricked into buying the club and has been trying to get rid ever since. Well SJM, oxf*rd try harder you oxf*rd!

But I will say this, I'm as committed to Reading Football Club as I ever have been
I suppose that depends on how committed you have been since the start - you just said you have been trying to sell the club for 20 years!

We've got quite an in depth squad, one of the biggest and costliest in the Championship
So why have we been so oxf*rd useless this season? And, why spend so much on people who are under-performing?

I'd like to wish both our fans a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year

SJM is the only mistake at the club now. Look at the record. When he took over from Smee, Porterfield was Manager and expensive at that. Whereas in the business world you would try and appoint the best people for the top jobs, SJM bucks this by employing unknown to manage the football club. The only managers that he employed with any serious experience at management were Burns and Coppell. The rest were pretty much first timers. What else have we had. Rookie after rookie after rookie.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Dec 2009 19:23

In my simplistic world

You hire someone

you have to sack them after 6 months

YOU have fii3ked up

...and your timing has to be questioned John

Cookie

by Cookie » 18 Dec 2009 19:24

readingbedding SIR John Madejski is convinced that appointing Brendan Rodgers was the correct thing to do despite his departure after just 21 Championship games.

Rodgers left his post at Watford in the summer following a relentless pursuit from Reading as they searched for Steve Coppell's replacement.

Royals chairman Madejski paid the Hornets around £500,000 in compensation to land the 36-year-old Northern Irishman, who described his role at Reading as his `dream job.'

But after just 195 days in the hotseat Rodgers was axed at a board meeting on Wednesday afternoon with Reading languishing near the relegation zone.

Rodgers will receive a significant six-figure pay-off as he was only six months into a three year contract.

However, Madejski insisted the club made the right choice.

"You can always be clever in hindsight," he said. "We felt Brendan was the right man for the job but things didn't work out as we expected them to. It's very sad all round."

But he strongly denied reports claiming the pair parted company after a massive fall-out during the meeting, insisting: "I absolutely deny it. We have never fallen out and we have a great relationship."

And he refused to rule out Rodgers returning to the Madejski Stadium one day in the future.

"I'd have no problem with Brendan coming back in some role," he declared. "He's a fine guy and very respectful of the club, hard working and we had a great relationship.

"My personal relationship with him has always been first-class. As I said, it was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make."

Chief scout and former reserve team coach Brian McDermott has since been in temporary charge of first-team affairs for Saturday's trip to Bristol City with Nigel Gibbs as his assistant.

And Madejski revealed 48-year-old McDermott could land the role on a permanent basis.

"I want to give Brian and the team around him all the support in the world," he said.

"The most important is that hearts and minds are concentrated on Saturday. We need cool heads.

"There will be fans who agree with what's happened and fans who don't.

"But Reading Football Club goes on. We're a great club and we're all doing our very best."

However, Madejski says his phone hasn't stopped ringing since the news broke, with Darren Ferguson, Gareth Southgate, Alan Curbishley and Lawrie Sanchez among the bookies' favourites.

There are also rumours Coppell may be in line for a sensational return - just six month since he left declaring a change of direction was best for the club and himself.

"A whole myriad of people have been getting in touch," said Madejski. "The phone has been ringing.

"But I'm not going to speculate."

Madejski was clear on one thing - that the club will not spend beyond its means and fall into the administration trap.

"Unless you've been on planet Tharg you must have noticed there's a big recession going on," said the Autotrader founder.

"Football like everything else is under immense pressure at the moment. Our receipts are 60% down and we've got to live in the real world.

"I've been banging on about this for years. But we at Reading will do our very best to maintain the best quality of football we can produce.

"I'm in total admiration of all our staff who work tirelessly to make things happen."

And he also repeated his interest in selling the club one day.

"I've been chairman for nearly 20 years and I've been trying to sell it for 20 years. But it's not easy to sell.

"But I will say this, I'm as committed to Reading Football Club as I ever have been.

"We're a community club and I hope local people will get behind us and support us through this difficult time."

Madejski skirted around the issue of whether the new manager will be given funds to spend in January, though the theory is that a lack of money was one of the reasons behind Rodgers' departure.

But Madejski felt the squad was under-achieving under Rodgers, who won five of his 21 league games.

"We've got quite an in depth squad, one of the biggest and costliest in the Championship," he stated.

"But every club expects to be doing better and we're no different here."

Meanwhile, Madejski will be Ashton Gate tomorrow (3pm ko) as Reading take on Gary Johnson's Robins who have lost just one league game at home since last December.

And Madejski added: "I'd like to wish all our fans a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

"I hope everyone gets right behind the team and Brian because we need to focus on Saturday."

Strike duo Shane Long and Simon Church are likely to be recalled to the squad while Ryan Bertrand will return after a bout of tonsillitis.

However, a number of players are being monitored after suffering flu-like symptoms this week.

Personally I feel Bodgers is going to be livid about what's happened, but it's a results business.
Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year!

I'm glad you've got that off your chest

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 18 Dec 2009 19:34

FiNeRaIn Any club who has to sell more or less the entire first team squad to " cut cloth" is poorly run. The only plus point is we aren't in administration.

I think you'll find there is a link between those two things. With another Chairman you could so easily have been writing this:

FiNeRaIn Any club who doesn't sell more or less the entire first team squad to "be ambitious" is well run. The only negative point is we are heading in to administration.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 18 Dec 2009 19:38

Terminal Boardom
I've been chairman for nearly 20 years and I've been trying to sell it for 20 years.
So, as I heard recently, this confirms that he was tricked into buying the club and has been trying to get rid ever since. Well SJM, oxf*rd try harder you oxf*rd!

But I will say this, I'm as committed to Reading Football Club as I ever have been
I suppose that depends on how committed you have been since the start - you just said you have been trying to sell the club for 20 years!
That has to be a typo. Two years sounds about right.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Dec 2009 19:44

bur John

you hired him

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 18 Dec 2009 20:11

Ideal

Clearly you could do without posting if that is the sort of crap you are going to post about a top man, a man of integrity and a man who has singlehandedly paid for virtually every asset the club now holds. If it were not for him, we would now be the Thames Valley FC and playing our matches at Oxford's old stadium.

I'm not saying I don't appreciate what he has done for the club - I do.
But he's been getting on my nips lately.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Dec 2009 20:12

Said it a hundred times.

Don't drink and give interviews kids.....

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Dec 2009 20:38

AthleticoSpizz In my simplistic world

You hire someone

YOU have fii3ked up

Spot on.

I don't see how you can spend 500k to get someone, give them a 3 year contract then give them a massive payout just to get rid of them and not admit it's been a mistake.

Perhaps it wasn't a mistake. It was a MONUMENTAL F**K-UP.

But hey, he has to respect Brenda and say the right thing. To be fair to John I can't expect him to sack the poor guy and then harp on about him being a mistake. We all know it was a mistake but he can't just come out and say it.

What does REALLY get to me though is what he said about strengthening the squad in January. The article doesn't give the full picture but basically his response to the question of a new man having money to spend in January was 'No we have a big enough squad.'. !!!!! Even when the interviewer tried to help John out a bit by saying something like "perhaps it's too early to say and the new man as to see what he has to work with and then you'll see what the situation is?" John didn't take that option and seemed to drive home his belief that the squad is good enough.

If we don't sign decent strikers in January I will be tipped into calling for Madejski's head.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Dec 2009 20:55

2 world wars, 1 world cup
AthleticoSpizz In my simplistic world

You hire someone

YOU have fii3ked up

Spot on.

I don't see how you can spend 500k to get someone, give them a 3 year contract then give them a massive payout just to get rid of them and not admit it's been a mistake.

Perhaps it wasn't a mistake. It was a MONUMENTAL F**K-UP.

But hey, he has to respect Brenda and say the right thing. To be fair to John I can't expect him to sack the poor guy and then harp on about him being a mistake. We all know it was a mistake but he can't just come out and say it.

What does REALLY get to me though is what he said about strengthening the squad in January. The article doesn't give the full picture but basically his response to the question of a new man having money to spend in January was 'No we have a big enough squad.'. !!!!! Even when the interviewer tried to help John out a bit by saying something like "perhaps it's too early to say and the new man as to see what he has to work with and then you'll see what the situation is?" John didn't take that option and seemed to drive home his belief that the squad is good enough.

If we don't sign decent strikers in January I will be tipped into calling for Madejski's head.

That's too simplistic imo. Not everything is black and white. It's not wrong, it just is.

We've all made choices like this, that for some reason just don't work out and it's a million times better to take action now than when it could have been too late.

JM saw this club club sleep walk into relagation 2 years ago.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Dec 2009 21:01

yes ..but................there is nothing simple about simplistic

JM made the choice back in the closed season (or before)

JM has gone on national tv smarming up to Brendan's departure

If my boss (in the real world) had hired one of my workmates ...then discarded him "as a loser" after only 6 months

I know where I would be looking to as the poor employer

Good luck MaccyD

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Dec 2009 21:05

Ideal If it were not for him, we would now be the Thames Valley FC and playing our matches at Oxford's old stadium.

Your RFC history could do with a bit of work.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Dec 2009 21:09

as could Ideals' opinion be based on actual games watched

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Dec 2009 21:31

AthleticoSpizz yes ..but................there is nothing simple about simplistic

JM made the choice back in the closed season (or before)

JM has gone on national tv smarming up to Brendan's departure

If my boss (in the real world) had hired one of my workmates ...then discarded him "as a loser" after only 6 months

I know where I would be looking to as the poor employer

Good luck MaccyD

He's put his bolloxs on the line and if this goes bad then by all means go for them. (that doesn't sound like I mean it to btw)

If it works out it would have been the right thing to do though.

JM's a lot of things, he's not stupid. He knows how this makes him look..

He'll be vindicated if this works though. A strong leader admits when he is wrong.