Reading: Burnley's "Worst Case Scenario"

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

Reading: Burnley's "Worst Case Scenario"

by Sarah Star » 23 Dec 2009 23:48

Lancashire Telegraph Burnley only need to look at Reading for worst case scenario
12:40pm Wednesday 23rd December 2009

By Chris Flanagan »

LIFE has always appeared to be a haphazard collection of best and worst case scenarios, and Burnley need only look towards events at Reading should they ever need reminding of it.

As many fret over the failure to go to Molineux or Fratton Park and get so much as a draw, a far greater tale of woe is being played out in Berkshire.

For Burnley, things are still about as good as they can be, considering where they were before that glorious month of May. Yet it could have been so different.

Reading, you will recall, were beaten by the Clarets in the semi finals of the Championship play-offs.

That evening Steve Coppell, seen wistfully signing farewell autographs outside the Madejski at gone midnight, declared his intention to leave the Royals after six years.

Forced to survive without the steady stream of Premier League cash they hoped would be coming their way once more, their more notable players would soon depart.

Kevin Doyle and Marcus Hahnemann to Wolves, Stephen Hunt to Hull, Andre Bikey (pictured) to Turf Moor.

Brendan Rodgers was brought in as boss, but he couldn’t replace the irreplaceable Coppell.

Last week he parted company with Reading, with the club now fifth bottom of the Championship.

To suggest this would have been Burnley’s fate had they failed to win the play-offs is to overlook the considerable talent and character they possess. But it was the worst case scenario.

Burnley’s future was in some part decided not so much by Sliding Doors, but by a sliding tackle from Matt Kilgallon on Chris McCann at Wembley.

What if the ball had not rolled so perfectly into Wade Elliott’s path, giving him the opportunity to lash the ball into the net first time?

What if the chance had been lost and Sheffield United had gone on to win, perhaps with a lucky break or a controversial refereeing decision?

Would Coyle, faced with crushing disappointment and another season in the Championship, have been able to resist the already tempting lure of the Celtic job? Could anyone have replicated the success created by the man who has masterminded the incredible events of the last 18 months?

We already know that Burnley would have had to sell at least one or two of their key players in the summer, such was the financial gamble they took on promotion to the Premier League.

Gladly, the club that dared to dream saw their ambition rewarded.

Reading, who gave their place in the Intertoto Cup to Blackburn Rovers three seasons ago because they feared a run in Europe would hit their league form, have now discovered they should have lived a little while they had the chance.

This has proved a successful decade for Burnley, who find themselves two divisions higher than when they started.

Blackburn, too, are a division better off, while Accrington Stanley have ascended three tiers since the turn of the millennium.

Life is never perfect at any football club. But Burnley, of all clubs, know that things could be so much worse.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sp ... _scenario/

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading: Burnley's "Worst Case Scenario"

by Thaumagurist* » 23 Dec 2009 23:54

Sarah Star
Lancashire Telegraph Burnley’s future was in some part decided not so much by Sliding Doors, but by a sliding tackle from Matt Kilgallon on Chris McCann at Wembley.

What if the ball had not rolled so perfectly into Wade Elliott’s path, giving him the opportunity to lash the ball into the net first time?

What if the chance had been lost and Sheffield United had gone on to win, perhaps with a lucky break or a controversial refereeing decision?

Or if the referee had been more precise and seen that Bikey's tug on that Burnley player's shirt was outside of the box.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 24 Dec 2009 00:31

Gloating and incisive isn't it. Boring and clearly Burnley will never eat this shit.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 24 Dec 2009 00:40

Not gloating at all, but then again you know very little about football royalexile, stick to AE.

One of the best articles i've read in a long time. Why can't we have someone of that calibre down here?

Very fair article and he is right about Europe when we gave up the intertoto, we didn't live a little and now we are back down to the level we started at.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 24 Dec 2009 00:44

lol.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 24 Dec 2009 00:44

royalexile Gloating and incisive isn't it. Boring and clearly Burnley will never eat this shit.

It read like that to me.

Chris Flanagan - on work experience.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 24 Dec 2009 00:47

Thaumagurist*
Sarah Star
Lancashire Telegraph Burnley’s future was in some part decided not so much by Sliding Doors, but by a sliding tackle from Matt Kilgallon on Chris McCann at Wembley.

Or if the referee had been more precise and seen that Bikey's tug on that Burnley player's shirt was outside of the box.

Piss off Spacey

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 24 Dec 2009 00:57

Sadly sitting in a car with low battery life does not allow me to expand very much on my comments just yet but clearly a clear of the throat and a minor drum roll needs imparting. As the post says - fine line. It also implies Burnley will not fail or get into the same scenarios as Reading. Second season and we might see.

Post clearly not authorized by Finerain.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 24 Dec 2009 01:02

Its not gloating, its not remotely on a par with with our very own Ryan Bertrands rant at " being bigger than leicester" earlier in the year.

He's not goading reading either, he simply drawing comparison between two sides who could have very well been in opposite ends of the scale had fortune favoured the other.

Solid article which perfectly highlights our current situation and what a lot of our fans thought about the clubs decision to avoid Europe also.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 24 Dec 2009 08:00

I read it as saying lets not get carried away, if Burnley come down will they have the balls to gamble the clubs future, or will they pay off debts with the parachute payments, can they afford the chance to bounce back.

Personally I think they will come down this season, no need for second season, then Coyle will leave, as will Bikey and others, if anyone will want them anymore. and Burnley will take a steop back and have to rebuild.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Dec 2009 08:51

Arnie_Pie
royalexile Gloating and incisive isn't it. Boring and clearly Burnley will never eat this shit.

It read like that to me.

Chris Flanagan - on work experience.

At least he can spell, unlike Jonny Fordham!

FiNeRaIn Its not gloating, its not remotely on a par with with our very own Ryan Bertrands rant at " being bigger than leicester" earlier in the year.

He's not goading reading either, he simply drawing comparison between two sides who could have very well been in opposite ends of the scale had fortune favoured the other.

Solid article which perfectly highlights our current situation and what a lot of our fans thought about the clubs decision to avoid Europe also.

I agree. However, I guess as our plight deepens it is human nature to try to protect oneself from reality by attacking other people/clubs and/or trying to convince oneself that things aren't really that bad at RFC.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 24 Dec 2009 10:45

Seems like a very smug post to me. Lets see whether Burnley survive in the Premiership this season let alone next. Either way they won't be in the Premiership for too long so the worst case scenario might happen to them quicker than they think.
I wouldn't bet against them playing against us in the Championship next season.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Dec 2009 10:50

FiNeRaIn we didn't live a little and now we are back down to the level we started at.

I would say that we are still above the level we started at.

But that is the problem with a lot of Reading fans, they aren't old enough to have memories past the last decade.......

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 24 Dec 2009 10:51

The only advantage Burnley have is that they won't have the second season Wage increase if they go down, as we did.

They certainly outspent us in the transfer window though.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 24 Dec 2009 10:59

Reading, who gave their place in the Intertoto Cup to Blackburn Rovers three seasons ago because they feared a run in Europe would hit their league form, have now discovered they should have lived a little while they had the chance.

+ 1m

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 24 Dec 2009 11:11

Burnley's wheels are falling off already. They had the honeymoon period similar to Hull last season (not quite as good). Won't be surprised to see them back in this league next season and Coyle off the better things.

The comment I can't argue with is the one about European football. We should have enjoyed the good times and gone for it. If the decision had proved to be right in 07/08 I might think otherwise - but look where we are now. Would we have persuaded better players to join us with European football? The one I'm obviously thinking of is the lad who chose Celtic, whose name escapes me. At the same time Celtic would still have been the biggest club in Scotland, with CL football - so maybe it wouldn't have changed much.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 24 Dec 2009 11:54

Coppell at the time stated the team wasn't big enough and the extra itinery would screw up the second season. Hmmmm. I think it would have been a case of JM having to invest heavier and far and above what the wage structure already was. In hindsight this would have placed an even greater emphasis on the failure to capitalise on the second season and the relegation of last season. This is in respect of selling off the squad to try and balance the finances.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 24 Dec 2009 12:37

rhroyal Burnley's wheels are falling off already. They had the honeymoon period similar to Hull last season (not quite as good). Won't be surprised to see them back in this league next season and Coyle off the better things.

The comment I can't argue with is the one about European football. We should have enjoyed the good times and gone for it. If the decision had proved to be right in 07/08 I might think otherwise - but look where we are now. Would we have persuaded better players to join us with European football? The one I'm obviously thinking of is the lad who chose Celtic, whose name escapes me. At the same time Celtic would still have been the biggest club in Scotland, with CL football - so maybe it wouldn't have changed much.

Scott Brown is the player you refer to. Sadly he was proved right in his comments about our club...

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Dec 2009 12:41

PEARCEY
rhroyal Burnley's wheels are falling off already. They had the honeymoon period similar to Hull last season (not quite as good). Won't be surprised to see them back in this league next season and Coyle off the better things.

Scott Brown is the player you refer to. Sadly he was proved right in his comments about our club...

This one's a real paradox - he was right, but if he'd joined I think he'd have been the Sidwell replacement that would have proved Brown wrong.
His decision therefore became self-fulfilling.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 24 Dec 2009 12:48

Franchise FC
PEARCEY

This one's a real paradox - he was right, but if he'd joined I think he'd have been the Sidwell replacement that would have proved Brown wrong.
His decision therefore became self-fulfilling.

I agree. He would have made a huge difference in central midfield...but it wasn't to be.