WHO IS TO BLAME?

114 posts

Who must take **most** of the blame for the continuing slump in fortunes of RFC?

John Madejski and his fellow directors
46%
Chief Exec Nigel Howe
9%
Director of football Nick(y) Hammond
10%
Steve Coppell
4%
Brendan Rodgers
16%
Nobody - we have just been incredibly unlucky
14%

Total votes: 106
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

WHO IS TO BLAME?

by floyd__streete » 29 Dec 2009 18:15

There has been a load of stick for the board here over the last 24 hours or so as many more people are finally cottoning on to the likelihood of our second relegation in three seasons, but the board have backed managers with cash in the recent past, only to see money wasted on the likes of Halford, Fae, Mills etc. etc. Perhaps the DoF should hold his hands up too?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: WHO IS TO BLAME?

by Ian Royal » 29 Dec 2009 18:16

I want to select more than one Floyd. Can you set it up so we can pick at least 4?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 29 Dec 2009 18:22

The "SAVE OUR STEVE" car park idiots

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 29 Dec 2009 18:26

The way money has been wasted - not just on transfer fees for the above named players, but massive salaries for players like Hunt who took the piss - is a huge factor for me. I don't know who's ultimately to blame for that, but it's hard to see how Nick Hammond - who I've frequently defended on here - could be completely out of that loop.

royal goof

by royal goof » 29 Dec 2009 18:29

The blame lies with most of them.. Madejski (based on recent past), directors, Howe and Hammond.

All creaming off their bit and letting the club slide further - we need to get rid now before it's too late.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 29 Dec 2009 18:31

Something Hammond does need to be held accountable for is how we managed to release Charlie Austin from the academy whilst Hammond was "Academy Director". 46 goals in 46 games for Poole Town earnt him a move to Swindon where he's on 6 goals in 6 games there.

Yet he was on our books, why did we miss out on him?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 29 Dec 2009 18:37

Can you add " all of the above bar coppell" in there?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 29 Dec 2009 18:39

Coppell for relegation and the loss of the likes of Doyle, Bikey etc as we failed to go up last season, Madejski for asset-stripping the club, being short-sighted with regards to the management and failing to see that our squad isn't good enough to survive.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Dec 2009 18:46

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 29 Dec 2009 18:58

Royalee Coppell for relegation and the loss of the likes of Doyle, Bikey etc as we failed to go up last season, Madejski for asset-stripping the club, being short-sighted with regards to the management and failing to see that our squad isn't good enough to survive.

Totally agree Royalee, although i would add to that Hammond for being a prick.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 29 Dec 2009 19:00

FiNeRaIn Can you add " all of the above bar coppell" in there?

If Coppell was not to blame for relegation and our total capitulation in the 2nd half of last season, who was?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 29 Dec 2009 19:00

Ian Royal I want to select more than one Floyd. Can you set it up so we can pick at least 4?

I thought about adding extra options, but I was just (mildly) interested to see who (this particular section of) the fanbase felt were particularly responsible for our troubles.

Arch The way money has been wasted - not just on transfer fees for the above named players, but massive salaries for players like Hunt who took the piss - is a huge factor for me. I don't know who's ultimately to blame for that, but it's hard to see how Nick Hammond - who I've frequently defended on here - could be completely out of that loop.

Tend to agree with you, Arch. I also realise that this poxy, irrelevant poll is worthless anyway.....because the real answer has to the question I pose has to be the way in which the modern day, agent-driven, greedy game of football has allowed it's wealth to be so inequally divided. There really is no sustainable top flight future for little clubs like Reading without fairly ludicrous expenditure from big businessmen who use the 'franchise' as part of a property-portfolio with precious little care for the communities which fostered these historic clubs in the first place.

I'll always follow RFC because the club were the first to develop my interest in the game. But more and more I tend to prefer watching non-league football for so many reasons.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 29 Dec 2009 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 29 Dec 2009 19:01

Any chance of holding the players just a bit accountable? It is failing at football we're talking about, after all.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Dec 2009 19:02

Where's 'It's football, a game - get on with it.' option?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 29 Dec 2009 19:18

There isn't one, because the business aspect is being debated. Without the business aspect football at the level being spoken about doesn't exist. If bad business decisions are taken then it inevitably leads to failure on the pitch. The problem with RFC is the recent decisions made by the Chairman and his Board of Directors, the Director of Football, and the previous two incumbents of the Manager's office. To answer the question in the thread title, they are all collectively to blame.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 29 Dec 2009 19:25

Arch Any chance of holding the players just a bit accountable? It is failing at football we're talking about, after all.

'Greed. The blame must lie at the feets of Kebe, Hunt et al for the failure to get promoted last season.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Dec 2009 19:30

floyd__streete There has been a load of stick for the board here over the last 24 hours or so as many more people are finally cottoning on to the likelihood of our second relegation in three seasons, but the board have backed managers with cash in the recent past, only to see money wasted on the likes of Halford, Fae, Mills etc. etc. Perhaps the DoF should hold his hands up too?

I blame you.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 29 Dec 2009 19:35

winchester_royal
Arch Any chance of holding the players just a bit accountable? It is failing at football we're talking about, after all.

'Greed. The blame must lie at the feets of Kebe, Hunt et al for the failure to get promoted last season.

At last, a plural for "feet".

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 29 Dec 2009 19:36

winchester_royal

Your thought processes really are ridiculously simplistic sometimes mate. Could it be that the players possibly played to their full potential but actually just weren't good enough? Or could it be that the manager played perfectly adequate players but utilised a formation or tactical system that didn't work? Or could it be the Director of Football's fault for not going out and buying players identified as being able to infuse better quality into the team? Or could it be the Chairman and Board's fault for saying no to the question of possibly buying a better quality player? As I said before, the blame lies collectively at the player's, previous two manager's, DoF, BoD, and Chairman's feet.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Dec 2009 19:43

I'm assuming you are asking who is to blame for our possible relegation this season then, in which case the answer is quite clearly Rodgers currently.

114 posts