Steve Coppell: On a Wing and a Prayer

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

Steve Coppell: On a Wing and a Prayer

by Zammo » 05 Jan 2010 13:38

Firstly, I have put this on the Team board as more 'fans' will see it. I know this is mentioned in the Coppell thread, but again wanted to 'put it out there'.

I received my copy from the author himself (Stuart Roach) on Christmas morning, and my initial findings are that this is an excellent read (and I'm not just saying that....honest :wink: ). The book features Murts, Hunt and Hammond (amongst many others).

Here are some pars taken from the book (used with permision from the author), which you may enjoy......

Even when the door handle does finally turn and the manager enters the room, the stillness hangs for a few seconds more; a moment frozen in time. When the silence is finally broken, when Coppell begins his summing up of the first half of a game which could define the season, it is not the reaction any of them had been expecting. “I am disappointed in you,” Coppell says in monotone annunciation. “So disappointed.”
The brief delivery is replaced by the returning silence, giving the players a moment to understand the verdict. Every chastened schoolboy knows, deep down within his innermost fears, that he will be able to deal with the rebuke of a returning father, that it is the anticipation which heightens the anxiety. But paternal disappointment is an altogether harder emotion to handle.
Coppell elaborates only briefly before leaving his players to their own thoughts and returning to take in the remainder of the action, this time from the pitchside dug-out. Five Reading goals later the final whistle heralds a pitch invasion from the home fans, a swarm of buzzing excitement on the pitch that sweeps the players down the tunnel and back in to the home team dressing room. Minutes later, but a full hour after he had left that room, Coppell is turning the handle again and entering the champions’ dressing room, where the acoustics are in full affect.

Murts “Pardew and Coppell are chalk and cheese. Alan Pardew managed in your face; a high-tempo, loud, confident cock-of-the-walk kind of bloke who demands something from you every second of the day; Steve Coppell is very much into the self discipline side where you are responsible for your performance.
“He thinks if you are not motivated then you shouldn’t be playing football. You have to want it; you really have to be self conditioned, self motivating and self aware and I think that is something that playing under Steve helped me become. You have to know your roles, know what you are good at, what you are not good at and play to your strengths. I think Steve helped me identify them as well as anyone else.

Hammond Hammond explained: “Steve likes familiarity, he likes to know in a player what he’s going to get. He doesn’t like to be surprised and with Ivar he knew exactly what he was getting. Ivar had played for him at Brentford and at Brighton and we knew him well. He was out of the team at Wolves and he was a good take at the time, a player who has proved to be an outstanding signing for Reading Football Club.
The significance of the signing was not lost on Murty, either. He said: “I think Ivar has played for him more than any other player and it speaks volumes that he is the ultimate professional. He makes sure he takes care of himself, he gives everything in training and you know what you are going to get. He is Mr Reliable and I think he is the archetypal Steve Coppell footballer.”

Hammond “Steve enjoyed the trips to Ireland; we had someone pick him up and look after him and he would pull his bobble hat down and coat collars up and go to the local pub, have a pint of Guinness and watch the game. I don’t think he was anonymous, most times he got spotted, but he’s not a great one for going to games. He didn’t do an enormous amount of scouting because his focus was always the team.

BBC Match of the Day commentator Jonathan Pearce was an interested observer at that time and was not surprised at his handling of the situation, having known the Reading manager since his days covering Crystal Palace for Capital Radio. “The whole Hunt thing with Chelsea became a rabid affair and the way Steve diplomatically dealt with that was fantastic. His was the voice of reason”.

Obviously, this is not a Reading FC book. It also talks about playing for Utd and England, the Man City role, and how he left Brighton for Reading (very interesting).

Amazon link - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steve-Coppell-Prayer-Stuart-Roach/dp/1848185170/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262695980&sr=1-1

Also, on sale in the Megastore.

Go and buy in your thousands.....and earn me a couple of pints.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Steve Coppell: On a Wing and a Prayer

by RobRoyal » 05 Jan 2010 13:49

Most interesting, cheers.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Jan 2010 13:49

IN

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 05 Jan 2010 14:03

I've got it, great book.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 05 Jan 2010 14:24

I love the story Coppell tells about going to Cork and drinking too much. Said he couldn't remember if Doyle had done any good, but he'd had a nice weekend so thought we may as well take him....

That's what I miss to be honest.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Jan 2010 14:30

maybe we should try that on all our scouting expeditions

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 Jan 2010 15:07

I bought Schards this for Christmas from Amazon. He hasn't opened a page yet. :|

Steve T

by Steve T » 05 Jan 2010 15:26

Really good book.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 05 Jan 2010 15:36

brendywendy maybe we should try that on all our scouting expeditions

Are you suggesting that whoever scouted Cummings was sober!

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 05 Jan 2010 18:27

All looks a bit dry to me judging by those extracts. Was it Stuart Roach who wrote Reading Between the Lines? That was a bit of a chore to read too, I must admit. But no doubt I'll still buy this and read it anyway!

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 05 Jan 2010 19:53

CMRoyal All looks a bit dry to me judging by those extracts. Was it Stuart Roach who wrote Reading Between the Lines? That was a bit of a chore to read too, I must admit. But no doubt I'll still buy this and read it anyway!

There is some top stuff in there, but obviously didn't want to post the best quotes / stories. That should be saved for the purchaser...erm...mean reader !!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jan 2010 12:49

brendywendy maybe we should try that on all our scouting expeditions

Why do you think we got Bennett, Long and Mooney?

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 10 Jan 2010 20:26

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 10 Jan 2010 20:41

I read the Independent's review this morning and it really only goes to show what cocks we were to ever let this man go, he really is one in a million! :|

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 10 Jan 2010 20:46

Dorset-Knob I read the Independent's review this morning and it really only goes to show what cocks we were to ever let this man go, he really is one in a million! :|

I bought the book on the strength of this thread, and wasn't disappointed. Onlyhalf way through it, but have to agree with the above. One thing that does come through though, and it confirms the theories we had on here a while back, SSC DOES have favourite cliques in his squads, and it DOES cause issues, (see Ian Wright's contributions in the first half of the book).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jan 2010 21:03

Inevitable in that Coppell wants players to take responsibility and show intelligence, not be spoon fed everything. There are going to be relatively few players like that out there and so he's gone favour the ones who get it like Ivar, compared to those who don't, like Fae.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 10 Jan 2010 21:19

Hmmm...

was on Amazon looking at buying this plus maybe Reading Between the Lines, the Little Book of Reading FC and the Greatest Footballer You Never Saw: Robin Friday when, glancing down to the bottom of the page I discovered that “Other customers who bought these titles also bought: Fight for this Love by Cheryl Cole and the Hannah Montana Annual 2010”.

Come on now own up, who was it?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 10 Jan 2010 21:59

Pseud O'Nym when, glancing down to the bottom of the page I discovered that “Other customers who bought these titles also bought: Fight for this Love by Cheryl Cole

If it's worth having it's worth fighting for.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 11 Jan 2010 07:43

Dorset-Knob I read the Independent's review this morning and it really only goes to show what cocks we were to ever let this man go, he really is one in a million! :|

What were we going to do - tie him up?

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 11 Jan 2010 09:42

Avon Royal

What were we going to do - tie him up?

With more appreciation, the resources to do what he wanted to do and an offer of salary he could not refuse perhaps?

In any event I wonder did we/the club do enough to retain him in some capacity or another, but equally and regretfully you have to respect his honourable decision.

He was as close to Alex Ferguson as it gets in terms of genuine experience for creating a dynasty, which is the most valuable commodity of all!

We wuz cocks! :wink: