45%
Not sure
7%

Total votes: 96
Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Would it be a tragedy if we went down?

by Archie's penalty » 29 Jan 2010 02:10

Feel free to dodd me but leading on from Arch's post I was just wondering if it really would be such a shame if we went down?

Look at the league positions of Norwich, Leeds, Charlton and Southampton this year. It shows that we could bounce back. We also will be financially solvent and with loads of talented youngsters to come through.

I don't want us to go down but I don't think it would be a tragedy if we did. What do you think?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Would it be a tragedy if we went down?

by Jackson Corner » 29 Jan 2010 03:04

Those four clubs are much bigger than us with a loyal fan base. I can see our attendances halving with relegation and with Mr Mad unwilling to put any more money in to the club. We will be down there for a very long time, I wouldn't even rule out a drop to div two.

Very near...far away

by Very near...far away » 29 Jan 2010 03:51

I think we're quite possibly doomed forever. And ever. And ever.

And it's all your fault.

So there.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 29 Jan 2010 03:58

One of Leeds, Norwich and Charlton is going to face the lottery of the playoffs. Even if you gave back the ten point deduction, Soton would be in 9th place. It's not all roses down there. No immediate return for Forest or Leeds and how long were Wednesday down there? I don't know how to assess 'tragedy' in this case, but it would not be good, and there would be no guarantees of a happy revival.

If we go down, it's down to bad decisions and bad performances across the board. Everyone at the club will have a share in the blame, and one or two who have already gone. This club should not be where it is, even given the financial decisions of the last three and a half years.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Jan 2010 04:51

We were a whisker away from getting back into the Prem.

Madejski bottled it, and now we're fighting relegation.

If we go down it would be more than a tragedy.

The only saving grace will be that Madejski and the board might finally p*ss off.

fireman_jules

by fireman_jules » 29 Jan 2010 07:59

If we do go down you can kiss goodbye any remaining talent, Sigurdson, Mcanuff etc

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 29 Jan 2010 08:04

League One is dreadful. So many teams are made up of meathead defences that hack strikers out of the game

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Jan 2010 08:13

2 world wars, 1 world cup We were a whisker away from getting back into the Prem.

Madejski bottled it, and now we're fighting relegation.

If we go down it would be more than a tragedy.

The only saving grace will be that Madejski and the board might finally p*ss off.

Same old same old from the usual suspects.

If we pi$$ SJM enough, not only will he walk but he'll demand the rest of his outstanding loans - at which point we're the ones in administration and GUARANTEED to go down. If it happens after relegation, we'd start next season with 10 points less than everyone else.

I'd be delighted if we could find a less risk averse owner, but it doesn't seem the most likely scenario for the foreseeable, so I'd be extremely careful what you wish for.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 29 Jan 2010 08:18

Yes. We would lose a lot of players.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 29 Jan 2010 08:41

No, it won't be a tragedy if we went down it will give us a chance to rebuild.

It will also give all those plastics who have joined in supporting Reading in the last decade a taste of League 1 football something thay won't know much about.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 29 Jan 2010 09:14

Arch One of Leeds, Norwich and Charlton is going to face the lottery of the playoffs. Even if you gave back the ten point deduction, Soton would be in 9th place. It's not all roses down there. No immediate return for Forest or Leeds and how long were Wednesday down there? I don't know how to assess 'tragedy' in this case, but it would not be good, and there would be no guarantees of a happy revival.

All those teams (even Sheff Wed now?) are playing well and entertaining their fans every week, which is really all I want from watching Reading (in an ideal world, like). So to be in any of their positions would not bother me one bit, in fact their fans probably have more fun than I do on a Saturday afternoon.

I can think of a few Premier League clubs (and a couple at the top of the Championship) who were in 'League 1' not so long ago, so if that is what fans are really interested in then there is no need for total despair just yet. I'm in no hurry to watch Reading in the Premier League again though and even this pretty awful season has had the highlight of a bit of a run in the Cup.

Also relegation might mean reduced prices for tickets, which would suit me just fine :wink:

Comfortably Numb

by Comfortably Numb » 29 Jan 2010 09:45

sheshnu Also relegation might mean reduced prices for tickets, which would suit me just fine :wink:

you know that wont happen.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 29 Jan 2010 09:54

Not at all, in fact it may be necessary for us to have another crack at getting in the Premiership. We may not get promoted at the first time of asking, but we have a stable business, and will be able to invest in future seasons. Out of all the teams that have been relegated Charlton are very very similar to us. Ran a tight ship and got relegated as a result, similar attendances when we were in the same division, and got relegated in their second season in the Championship. I am confident that given a couple of seasons in L1 we will bounce back, and bounce back stronger. If we get any further in the FA Cup this season, dare I say the Semi's, we'll do even better.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 29 Jan 2010 10:21

Would be a good opportunity to rebuild, and would give players like Henry, HRk, Davies, Antonio, Bignall, McCarthy etc a good chance to establish themselves in a league where they have been succesful in past.

Didn't do Leicester any harm....

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 29 Jan 2010 12:27

winchester_royal Would be a good opportunity to rebuild, and would give players like Henry, HRk, Davies, Antonio, Bignall, McCarthy etc a good chance to establish themselves in a league where they have been succesful in past.

Didn't do Leicester any harm....

But what I have read on here is that Leicester are walking a financial tight rope. As for it being a tragedy? Doubt if anyone will die so it can't be considered as such.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2010 12:36

It's totally dependent on how we react. Just as going down from the prem was totally dependent on how we reacted, as was failing to go straight back up.

We got it right in the first 6 months of going down from the prem, but then let things get out of hand in the rest of the season. We handled the failure to be promoted again very badly.

We have the potential to bounce back, but we need to keep some key (young) players. We also have the potential to start struggling financially and dop back into total obscurity.

In terms of challenging in the championship I think relegation with a good reaction could actually be the best result for us. Although surviving in the right way this season could also give us the momentum that going down and bouncing straight back would.

Jimmy the Tree

by Jimmy the Tree » 29 Jan 2010 12:39

It's not as if we haven't been here before.

We go down, we lose money, players and fans (or think they are).

Hopefully we could re-group and rise again.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 29 Jan 2010 12:40

The only tragedy in reference to football clubs is when one goes out of business. If we go down, we won't go out of business. It won't be nice, but we'll still have a football club. Therefore, IMO, it won't be a tragedy if we go down.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 29 Jan 2010 12:46

Remember when people said relagation from the Prem would be a good thing?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2010 12:48

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Remember when people said relagation from the Prem would be a good thing?

See my post. It could have been. Even failure to go back up last season could (and should) have been made into a positive.