Gunnarsson wants new deal

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Gunnarsson wants new deal

by Plymouth_Royal » 04 Feb 2010 12:14

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... ng_fc_deal

Im pleading to the club now. DO NOT GIVE THIS GUY A NEW DEAL. There is no need for this guy to be at the club while we have so many other better, talented and younger CMs.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gunnarsson wants new deal

by Ian Royal » 04 Feb 2010 12:19

We have zero more talented non-attacking midfielders.

But I still think he's been with us a season too long. He is a perfect candidate for reducing numbers and wages in a bloated midfield.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Feb 2010 12:32

Earlier in the season when Boris would be blowing out of his arse by half time I'd have said no to another year, however he has recently been a revelation and we should keep him, especially as we're probably not going to be in the premier league next year

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 04 Feb 2010 12:38

He could be very handy at Div One level. I'd offer him a new deal if we get relegated but not otherwise.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 04 Feb 2010 12:38

Silver Fox Earlier in the season when Boris would be blowing out of his arse by half time I'd have said no to another year, however he has recently been a revelation and we should keep him, especially as we're probably not going to be in the premier league next year

I think that the appointment of BMcD has been a shot in the arm for him. Compared to his efforts earlier in the season he must be pushing for most improved player during the season. Whether the club ha the funds is another matter and as mentioned above, we do have a surplus of CMs.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 04 Feb 2010 12:48

Could argue he's been our best player since B McD came in.

Certainly better than Cisse.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 04 Feb 2010 12:50

Like a lot of our current squad, he's probably played most of his Reading career under Brian. Might have something to do with it, who knows.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 04 Feb 2010 13:02

SIGN HIM UP

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 04 Feb 2010 13:05

See how he does until the end of the season, and if he does well give him a 6 month contract.

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 04 Feb 2010 13:08

URZZZZZZZZ See how he does until the end of the season, and if he does well give him a 6 month contract.

6 months? Are you being serious?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Feb 2010 13:23

I can't believe that people are still slagging Gunnarsson off, despite his great performances in recent games.

He strikes me as a model professional who always gives his all to his club and team. He is not as old, slow and unfit as many make out. What's more he is very skilful, good in the air (he is the one I always want to see coming forward for set pieces) and strong in the tackle.

He is the very type of player we need in the relegation battle that we are in.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Feb 2010 13:30

Better than Cisse and Tabb, and possibly Howard but he still tires after the hour mark but has looked a bit better under McDermott. I wonder if that's because we bypass the midfield a bit more and so the two in the middle don't get involved in the intensive work in the middle so much.

It'd be interesting to see the stats on that.

If we could offload Cisse, Tabb or Matejovsky (or all of them) I'd say give him a contract. If we can't I don't see much point in keeping him on for another contract when we're trying to cut our cloth when possible.

Next season he'll be that bit older and slower, and having him and those above is just a further drain on the wage bill and another obstacle to the likes of Davies and Karacan getting into the first team.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Feb 2010 13:31

Plymouth_Royal http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2065187_rejuvenated_gunnarsson_targets_new_reading_fc_deal

Im pleading to the club now. DO NOT GIVE THIS GUY A NEW DEAL. There is no need for this guy to be at the club while we have so many other better, talented and younger CMs.

Have you seen any of the games recently? Gunnarsson was the best player on the pitch vs Barnsley. And I dispute that we have better and taleneted CMs, though we certainly have younger ones :|

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Feb 2010 13:37

Another year and maybe some sort of coaching role might suit him. We haven't replaced Rodgers or Austin on the coaching staff (McD and Gibbs were already here) so we could do with an addition.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 04 Feb 2010 13:39

Plymouth_Royal There is no need for this guy to be at the club while we have so many other better, talented and younger CMs.

As it's been shown earlier in the season, a midfield or defence made up solely of young, promising players alone does not work. Adding a Gunnarsson to the midfield or a Griffin to the defence enhances the whole unit IMO. Keep.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 04 Feb 2010 13:46

floyd__streete
Plymouth_Royal http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2065187_rejuvenated_gunnarsson_targets_new_reading_fc_deal

Have you seen any of the games recently? Gunnarsson was the best player on the pitch vs Barnsley. And I dispute that we have better and taleneted CMs, though we certainly have younger ones :|

I have and there is NO denying that he has been very good. However, the broader picture is that he can't last more than an hour or so before getting knackered. He played great against barnsley, but my god they're awful. He played amazing against Liverpool away. The bigger picture is that we have an abundance of CM's and I for one believe tabb and karacan would be better than him over a hole season coupled with an attacking minded midfielder. Plus, Mr Mad is quite clearly worried about how much money we have and given the amount of CM's we have, do you really think its wise to hand a 34 year old player who can't play every game a new deal. There will undoubtedly be a couple of CM's moved on in the summer as well as other players, and I think once they're gone we can find a better and younger CM.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Feb 2010 13:49

Plymouth_Royal the broader picture is that he can't last more than an hour or so before getting knackered.

Recent evidence suggests you are wrong.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 04 Feb 2010 13:51

Irvinchangeyaname
Plymouth_Royal There is no need for this guy to be at the club while we have so many other better, talented and younger CMs.

As it's been shown earlier in the season, a midfield or defence made up solely of young, promising players alone does not work. Adding a Gunnarsson to the midfield or a Griffin to the defence enhances the whole unit IMO. Keep.

I wasn't talking about the defence and I for one am glad we have some experienced heads back there. As for experience in midfield we have tabb, matejovsky, kebe, mcanuff and howard. I haven't mentioned cisse as he god awful. The rest are fairly new to this level and I when I said younger that means less than 34 and not implying less than 21.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 04 Feb 2010 14:09

I'm as shocked as any at how well he's been playing recently but I would definitely give it another 4-6 weeks before deciding whether he's done enough to earn his place for next season.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 04 Feb 2010 14:14

Given that Bryn himself says this is a non issue until the summer I don;t think there is any rush to make a decision.

I suspect he's a big influence on the dressing room these days, tons of experience, captain of his country etc etc

Whether he can last 90 mins is also fairly irrelevant. Most players in a squad don't play 90 minutes and I'd rather have a committed hour from a player than a 90 minute stroll.