Wembley Memories

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

Wembley Memories

by Wimb » 03 Mar 2010 10:58

With us maybe getting to Wembley again and listening to the podcast on the way to work today,hearing Ady Williams talk about Wembley has brought up a load of feelings from our last visit to the stadium.

So in the wake of similar nostalgia/memory threads that I always seem to start, heres one for the memories of our 2 previous trips to the national stadium.

For me, I spent the day with my Dad. in 1995 I was only 9 at the time. I was wearing the Reading shirt I'd been given for my birthday about 3 weeks before, and I'm pretty sure I probably had the shorts and socks on underneath my trousers as well :D

Travelled in by car, and I remember flying the scarf out the window and seeing so many blue and white scarfs flying out of the window. The excitement was just building as we got closer and closer to London.

When we arrived we parked up in an industrial estate not far from the stadium right next to another father and son, who were Bolton fans. We had a bit of a friendly chat and wished each other luck before heading on our walk down to the stadium.

Again what struck me being so young was how big the twin towers looked and just how many Reading fans with hats, t-shirts and flags there seemed to be, quite the difference from a rainy day at Elm Park :D

But being 9 I was impatient to get inside the stadium, I wanted to take my seat read the programme and settle down, despite my Dad saying we needed to 'soak up the atmosphere' I just couldnt wait.

So we got into the ground, got a programme and took our seats. We were to the right of the goal about half way up and had a pretty decent view of the game. As the stadium filled the noise got louder but I seemed mesmorised by the scoreboard :D It was the first ground I'd been too with such fancyness and I enjoyed seeing various animations etc on the yellow screens.

By the time the match kicked off I was so wound up that I needed the bog shortly after Nogs scored, much to the annoyance of my Dad who had to take down to the concourse. In doing so I managed to miss Williams goal as I was in the bog but my Dad managed to see the goal from the entrance to the concourse. All I remember hearing is a giant roar before rushing out, and at that point I just took it for granted we'd win.

Obviously it didn't happen, I don't remember much of the rest of the game, I remember how silent it seemed when Bolton finally made it 2-2. Into extra time and when we went 4-2 down I think I just started crying into my programme, it all seemed so sad :oops: I didn't even see Quinns goal go in I was so upset :D but at least we cheered and for a brief moment I thought maybe it would be ok. It wasnt :(

We stayed till the end to see the players walk up to the royal box, before heading out of the ground. I didn't have any sense of what not going up would mean, I had no idea we'd lose the key parts of the side, I was just sad we'd lost a big game.

The journey home was quiet, we listneed to Radio Berks and they seemed to be playing always look on the bright side of life, became a bit of an anthem for me the next few weeks :)

Thats about all I remember. I really wish I'd been a couple of years older to really appreciate the day and the atmosphere but as a young fan who'd only been to his first game in the Jan it was quite an apt introduction to life as a Reading fan.

Be great to hear a few tales from those who remember 88+95 a bit better :D

holsgrove breaks a leg

Re: Wembley Memories

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 03 Mar 2010 11:06

heroic football for 70 plus minutes, Gilkes lying in utter pain through cramp, John fat Mcginaly, Bolton fans singing 2-0 and you thought you'd won and tugging at my scarf on the way out, ohh the memories!

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 03 Mar 2010 11:14

I was only a young boy at the time. At the final whistle my dad turned to me and said, "This is your fault son". And I never saw him again :cry:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Mar 2010 11:14

i watched it on TV in my room at uni
devestated at the end. awesome game though in terms of rollercoaster ride/emotions
and cemented my love of reading FC

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 03 Mar 2010 11:40

I still maintain one of their goals was handball and one offside.

readingfc13

by readingfc13 » 03 Mar 2010 11:43

I remember absolutely nothing about the game as I was 7 at the time. I only remember things that you mentioned like scarves and flags flying out the windows of cars on the way to the game and seeing the team coaches arrive at the ground.

readingfc13

by readingfc13 » 03 Mar 2010 11:44

JC I still maintain one of their goals was handball and one offside.

The Defraitas goal? I always thought he handled it when it came back to him. That's the conclusion I made from seeing footage after the game anyhow.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 03 Mar 2010 11:45

Was at both Wembley games, I remember the Luton game as being one we would never win, we had already beaten QPR(div1 finished 5th) Oxford (div1 relegated tee hee) forest (div1 finished 3rd) Bradford (div2 finished 4th) and Coventry (div1 finished 10th).

So at the final we were up against Luton, flying in 3 cups at the time and also Div 1(finished9th), there was only hope of a short goal defeat in all reality, soon we went one down, and it was obvious to all that the game was over. The rest was just amazing.

As for Bolton, we got there again and this time the prize was massive. Did we expect to win or lose, I never thought so. It was just that tight pre match. Drove up with my dad from Reading, parked up and got to Wembley early to soak it all up, bought a programme and sat near the gates, I recall a grass bank area, where the team coaches were to enter the ground, along with hundreds of other RFC fans. The coach arrived and suddenly it was all real and we were one game away from the top division, hope and expectations were raised, it felt so good. MJet friends in ground, and we all sat down, M Salter was a few rows in front. The noise was amazing, I feel sure that as the team came onto the pitch it must have spurred them along. Once again the match was amazing, best ever at Wembley was how some newspapers reported it, and they cannot have been far wrong. Two teams very very well matched, both with a lot of promising young players, vying for a place in the top flight of the English game.

We were all disappointed at the end, but we all knew that the players had given all they had to give, and there was no shame in defeat. Got home and my daughters gave me a massive hug, too young to really know, but knew what it had meant to me and their grandad.

My father is currently in hospital, and the two Wembley games are possibly some of the best memories from our life together as father and son, one more victory on Sunday would cheer him up, if he is still in he will be watching there I hope, and perhaps the thought of us playing at Wembley again will make him smile and cheer him up.

Aubery Boyce
Hob Nob Regular

by Aubery Boyce » 03 Mar 2010 12:02

the 1995-5 season i'd spent most of my time and money travelling around the country to watch the royals.

I was in Derby at Uni at the time and there were quite a few handy localish games to go to.

That whole season was a rollercoaster with McGhee going then us making the playoffs, playing some very good football along the way.

Anyway, I came home for the Bank Holiday weekend having been to both semi-final games, absolutley buzzing. We got a coachload of us from Crowthorne to go.

I remember telling my dad at half time that if we won, i'd be deferring my next year at uni in order to watch the Royals in the top flight.

With every Bolton Goal that went in, i felt that our only chance of top flight football was going forever. I knew that if we didn't go up, the team would inevitably break up. It took the whole of that Summer (and a bit more to get over it)

The fact we came so close that year made the eventual success at Leicester that much more sweet.

Obviously have a lot fonder memories of the Simod Cup final......

punkindrublic

by punkindrublic » 03 Mar 2010 12:34

I went to Wembley in in 95, at the age of 9. The details of the match and atmosphere are very vague.
However, to this day i remember being sat next to my Grandad who had supported Reading all of his life and believing we had won, he threw one of his life time owned hats onto the pitch in celebration of a goal. That is one of the happiest/saddest memories of my Wembley outing.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Mar 2010 12:46

Gutted after the game, got into a session with some Bolton fans in the Eastern Hotel outside Liverpool St and was so pissed when I got back to Norwich that I collapsed on the platform and my mate had to ring my girlfiend to get her down the station. They then carried me to their car outside and took me home. I cried a lot during this time, I have to admit.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Mar 2010 12:53

My biggest single memory is of the Royal Marines marching band coming out onto the pitch and the very first song they started playing was "Daydream Believer" - which prompted a mass singalong, as McGhee was there to do summarising.

I still can't believe it was just conincidence.

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 03 Mar 2010 12:57

Dirk, I know of no other RFC song that has ever been sung with such fervour. A quality ditty.

Tonight I am going to Wembley for the first time since 95. Has it changed much?

southstand67

by southstand67 » 03 Mar 2010 13:11

Ferris I was only a young boy at the time. At the final whistle my dad turned to me and said, "This is your fault son". And I never saw him again :cry:

No way - for real??

Magnus

by Magnus » 03 Mar 2010 13:12

No it's still a pretty rough area TBF.

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 03 Mar 2010 13:25

Went to both - Simod cup was a great day - main memory is Michael Gilkes - what a game he had (even if his goal was a little flukey). Still have a VHS video of that, but now nothing to play it on.... I was in Luton on the Monday after at work and I bought their local paper to add to my collection of reports on the game! Stood on the terrace - great times...

The Bolton game was sad, but strangely at the time I was not as gutted as I was in Cardiff for the walsall game. I just thought we weren't ready and we'd be back in a year or so. I didn't even consider we'd lose the whole team and go down. If not for B McD we could have faced the same again this year.
Main memory is of the celebrating Bolton fans on the tube after and not being too worried about missing the pen as we were 2 up!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Mar 2010 13:26

This thread comes round quite regularly. Not going to go down the route of one of my most harrowing experiences of my (admittedly somewhat sheltered) life...

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 03 Mar 2010 13:26

Magnus, it's not exactly Knightsbridge round there is it. Once had the mis fortune to have to walk from Stonebridge Park tube to Ikea. Dodgy as fck.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Mar 2010 13:29

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 03 Mar 2010 13:35

Archie's penalty Quite a lot of Bolton memories on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91939&start=80&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=bolton+wembley

Good shout Archie, just wanted all of the Wembley ones in one place, :( at your story