The RFC view of STAR

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

The RFC view of STAR

by PieEater » 26 Feb 2007 17:50

Whilst reading the stadium planning application I noticed this strange desciption of STAR:

Reading FC also has a Supporters Trust (STAR) which aims to create goodwill for the club amongst supporters and the local community by promoting support and ensuring that home fans act responsibly with respect to the local community.

So in the clubs mind, STAR are actually their PR mouthpiece and fan police. What happened to representing the fans views?

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 26 Feb 2007 18:09

v. interesting

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Feb 2007 15:02

Pretty much sums up how I see STAR as well.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: The RFC view of STAR

by RoyalBlue » 28 Feb 2007 19:27

PieEater Whilst reading the stadium planning application I noticed this strange desciption of STAR:

Reading FC also has a Supporters Trust (STAR) which aims to create goodwill for the club amongst supporters and the local community by promoting support and ensuring that home fans act responsibly with respect to the local community.

So in the clubs mind, STAR are actually their PR mouthpiece and fan police. What happened to representing the fans views?

Sold out completely I'm afraid. Was prepared to give things a while to see how they worked out but have been bitterly disappointed by the way the club have walked all over STAR and not even paid lip service to taking fans' views on board. STAR have come up with some very good points, ideas etc. but have been completely snubbed by people who appear to know, and indeed care, sod all about what makes the average football supporter tick.

The club can't even be bothered to credit my blood money (sorry Royalty points) to my account in recognition of my membership!

Whistle

by Whistle » 28 Feb 2007 21:13

PieEater Whilst reading the stadium planning application I noticed this strange desciption of STAR:

I'd say that is a self-interested precis of STAR's objectives by the club written w/o consulting STAR. But I don't recall ever seeing the words 'ensure .. act responsibly' before.

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 01 Mar 2007 01:40

For information, STAR's actual objectives (as defined in our constitution and listed on the STAR website) are :
- to strengthen the bonds between the Club and the community which it serves and to represent the interests of the community in the running of the Club

- to benefit present and future members of the community served by the Club by promoting encouraging and furthering the game of football as a recreational facility, sporting activity and focus for community involvement

- to facilitate the participation of supporters of the club in activities promoting football in communities throughout the United Kingdom

- to encourage the Club to take proper account of the interests of its supporters and the community it serves in its decisions and to honour the contribution made by the community in the past to the life of the club

- to acquire and hold shares in the Club or any company controlling the Club and to be an active and growing shareholder thus giving supporters collectively the opportunity to have a stake in the Club

- to promote the full, accountable democratic and constructive involvement of supporters in the running and direction of the Club, including the principle of supporter representation on the board of the Club

- to continue the work of Reading Football Supporters’ Club, with particular reference to away travel, ticket priority and Fans’ Forums.

Yes, someone in the FC has decided to pick out sections which they thought were most relevant and to paraphrase this in a way which most supports the aims of the document that they put this in - which is the planning application for Reading Borough Council.

Considering what they're trying to achieve in this document I'm not going to lose much sleep over that.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 01 Mar 2007 08:36

I can't see how any of those aims can be paraphrased into "ensuring that home fans act responsibly with respect to the local community."

Or is it just me?

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 01 Mar 2007 08:37

This is probably the one I would place most emphasis on. Anyone agree/disagree?

STAR's objectives - to encourage the Club to take proper account of the interests of its supporters ... in its decisions

Who is the supporters representative on the board?

STAR's objectives to promote the full, accountable democratic and constructive involvement of supporters in the running and direction of the Club, including the principle of supporter representation on the board of the Club

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Mar 2007 09:03

STAR Campaigns For information, STAR's actual objectives (as defined in our constitution and listed on the STAR website) are :
- to strengthen the bonds between the Club and the community which it serves and to represent the interests of the community in the running of the Club

- to benefit present and future members of the community served by the Club by promoting encouraging and furthering the game of football as a recreational facility, sporting activity and focus for community involvement

- to facilitate the participation of supporters of the club in activities promoting football in communities throughout the United Kingdom

- to encourage the Club to take proper account of the interests of its supporters and the community it serves in its decisions and to honour the contribution made by the community in the past to the life of the club

- to acquire and hold shares in the Club or any company controlling the Club and to be an active and growing shareholder thus giving supporters collectively the opportunity to have a stake in the Club

- to promote the full, accountable democratic and constructive involvement of supporters in the running and direction of the Club, including the principle of supporter representation on the board of the Club

- to continue the work of Reading Football Supporters’ Club, with particular reference to away travel, ticket priority and Fans’ Forums.

Yes, someone in the FC has decided to pick out sections which they thought were most relevant and to paraphrase this in a way which most supports the aims of the document that they put this in - which is the planning application for Reading Borough Council.

Considering what they're trying to achieve in this document I'm not going to lose much sleep over that.

Obviously the clubs statement was an internal view and written to help to ease the planning application but it probably gives a pretty good insight into how STAR is perceived within the club.

As with any organisation, STARs objectives, aims, mission statement, call it what you like, are irrellevant if thats not how you act and how your 'stakeholders' perceive you.

Actions speak louder than words.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 17 Apr 2007 22:04

Hoop Blah
STAR Campaigns For information, STAR's actual objectives (as defined in our constitution and listed on the STAR website) are :

Obviously the clubs statement was an internal view and written to help to ease the planning application but it probably gives a pretty good insight into how STAR is perceived within the club.

As with any organisation, STARs objectives, aims, mission statement, call it what you like, are irrellevant if thats not how you act and how your 'stakeholders' perceive you.

Actions speak louder than words.

I couldn't help noticing the highlighted objective and the prophetic words from Hoop blah.

66DD

by 66DD » 18 Apr 2007 10:14

PieEater Reading FC also has a Supporters Trust (STAR) which aims to create goodwill for the club amongst supporters and the local community by promoting support and ensuring that home fans act responsibly with respect to the local community.[/b]

I'm a touch unclear how the football club can hold STAR accountable for my (or any other home fan's) actions (responsible or otherwise) with respect to the local community.

What penalty will the football club place on STAR if, in its opinion, it fails to ensure that home fans act responsibly with respect to the local community?

In any event who is the arbiter as to whether an act by a home fan is responsible or not (the football club, the stewards, STAR etc.)?

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 18 Apr 2007 13:13

In the end of the day STAR could shout and scream as much as they wanted but if the club says no they cant do anything.... So we have to ask were the extra Loyalty points worth the membership fee as thats all some people seem to get.

dont get me wrong STAR is a good idea but they have no real power and somehow seem to get less done than the old supporters club... Now I dont know if that is because someone in the club has got more stubborn or not.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 18 Apr 2007 14:31

bigmike In the end of the day STAR could shout and scream as much as they wanted but if the club says no they cant do anything.... So we have to ask were the extra Loyalty points worth the membership fee as thats all some people seem to get.

dont get me wrong STAR is a good idea but they have no real power and somehow seem to get less done than the old supporters club... Now I dont know if that is because someone in the club has got more stubborn or not.

Have you noticed the rather large changes in the club over the last decade ?
Compare RFC c 1990 say with RFC today.

RFSC / STAR have a totally different role now - it no longer helps keep the club afloat financially, or repairs the stadium roof ! Things move on, but from what I see STAR has a much bigger input to things now then it used to in many ways.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 19 Apr 2007 09:37

bigmike dont get me wrong STAR is a good idea but they have no real power and somehow seem to get less done than the old supporters club... Now I dont know if that is because someone in the club has got more stubborn or not.

I find this an interesting observation. As someone who was on RFSC committee before STAR was formed I would say the influence is very different and much more positive now than then but you may be referring to longer ago as Behindu implies. What examples can you give of what RFSC got done out of interest?

Whistle

by Whistle » 20 Apr 2007 13:54

starliaison
bigmike dont get me wrong STAR is a good idea but they have no real power and somehow seem to get less done than the old supporters club... Now I dont know if that is because someone in the club has got more stubborn or not.

I find this an interesting observation. As someone who was on RFSC committee before STAR was formed I would say the influence is very different and much more positive now than then but you may be referring to longer ago as Behindu implies. What examples can you give of what RFSC got done out of interest?

Started the Fans Forum, got us Megastore discount, helped a lot getting URZ going, kept running the away travel, got ticket priority for RFSC members before Royalty points came in got block bookings for Northern Royals, sort of ran the Rendezvous, supported club and academy financially, put up Maurice Evans plaque, organised the big flags, roads, viniculture, brought peace ... :wink:

Not to say that STAR doesn't carry on the good work.

RFSC used to run the lottery which was financially crucial so its chairman was on the club board. STAR won't get to do that until we're back in Division 4 or whatever it is. Different times, different contributions.

cheeryoleary

by cheeryoleary » 20 Apr 2007 15:39

Last year, on my season ticket application form, I was able to select STAR membership for 10 quid extra.

This year, there is no option.

Is the club distancing itself from STAR's financial affairs? If so, why?

Blue Heart

by Blue Heart » 20 Apr 2007 16:06

cheeryoleary Last year, on my season ticket application form, I was able to select STAR membership for 10 quid extra.

All memberships & coach bookings will be dealt with directly by STAR That is a decision taken by STAR not RFC. Membership renewals will be sent out and can by done by post or in person at the STAR HQ.
New Membership will run from 01/07/2007.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 20 Apr 2007 16:24

cheeryoleary Last year, on my season ticket application form, I was able to select STAR membership for 10 quid extra.

More like there was such a foul up last season with people electing to renew via the club but instead found out the club had lost it or just failed to pass details on that it makes more sense for STAR to sort it directly.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 20 Apr 2007 16:38

Will there be the option to renew online as I believe there has been this season ?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 22 Apr 2007 17:55

You can purchase STAR membership through the FSF website.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_7&products_id=20