can star organise free coaches for Norwich??

136 posts
The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Norwich away

by The 17 Bus » 03 Apr 2009 11:25

Oddly due to the way it is being done I may now not go, and had been looking at trying to as no work on the mon or tuesday, it is a real shame that we only have STAR, and this is not a criticism, arranging travel to away games.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 03 Apr 2009 11:28

The 17 Bus Oddly due to the way it is being done I may now not go, and had been looking at trying to as no work on the mon or tuesday, it is a real shame that we only have STAR, and this is not a criticism, arranging travel to away games.

I don't understand your beef.

tlcs

by tlcs » 03 Apr 2009 11:36

The 17 Bus Oddly due to the way it is being done I may now not go, and had been looking at trying to as no work on the mon or tuesday, it is a real shame that we only have STAR, and this is not a criticism, arranging travel to away games.

WITH THAT ATTITUDE....STAY THE FECK AT HOME

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 03 Apr 2009 12:06

Maybe, but if you had more than one organisation you'd probably lose the economies of scale we have. Two organisations running half-full coaches could probably not offer cheaper prices than a single organisation running full coaches. Don't forget we're not talking about massive demand here.

For information, we can only sell coach travel to our members for two reasons. Firstly, it's a condition of our insurance that all passengers must be members, and secondly there are also good VAT reasons - I'm not an expert in this field but as I undertsand it, as an Industrial & Provident Society, sales which are only available to our members are exempt from VAT. If we sold to non-members then all prices would instantly have to go up by 15%.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: can star organise free coaches for Norwich??

by CMRoyal » 03 Apr 2009 12:38

This is a great gesture. I'm certainly thinking of changing my mind about not going to the game now. Well done STAR.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 03 Apr 2009 16:14

Any idea what time they might be leaving Reading?

STAR TRAVEL

by STAR TRAVEL » 03 Apr 2009 16:38

We haven't finalised times for this game yet, will post as soon as possible.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 03 Apr 2009 17:02

Terminal Boardom http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1610385,00.html

Well done to the management for offering free travel to Reading supporters to this game. First time that I can recall this being done.

It's been done before (Swindon on Valentines Day)

Shame it is not open to all, but understand why STAR are only able to offer the travel to members.

I hope it does boost the travelling support and is a nice gesture from the club and STAR

STAR TRAVEL

by STAR TRAVEL » 03 Apr 2009 17:32

Norwich travel time is a follows:

Monday April 27th

Depart Mad Stad 2.00pm
Depart Station Hill 1.45pm

Tickets available on 7th April to existing STAR members . £5.00 refundable deposit required.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Apr 2009 17:48

Jesus wept - the club and STAR put on FREE transport to a game that might now see more fans wanting to attend, after the move to accommodate the TV and still you get people bloddy moaning because they'd have to join STAR at the extortionate price of £10. :roll:

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 03 Apr 2009 18:32

Agree RL. :roll:

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 03 Apr 2009 19:02

bollox i lost my reply, stil at least you responded in capitals Tics

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 03 Apr 2009 19:07

Often criticised STAR in the past but fair play on this occasion*

*provided I make it onto one of the coaches :P

66DD

by 66DD » 03 Apr 2009 21:29

STAR TRAVEL Norwich travel time is a follows:

Monday April 27th

Depart Mad Stad 2.00pm

Tickets available on 7th April to existing STAR members . £5.00 refundable deposit required.

Will tickets only be available on the 7th? STAR Campaigns seems to have indicated that they will be available up to the 14th.

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 03 Apr 2009 22:12

66DD
STAR TRAVEL Norwich travel time is a follows:

Monday April 27th

Depart Mad Stad 2.00pm

Will tickets only be available on the 7th? STAR Campaigns seems to have indicated that they will be available up to the 14th.

On sale FROM the 7th - but on sale only to existing STAR members until 14th.

After the 14th, non-members can then join STAR to take advantage of this free travel.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 03 Apr 2009 23:17

If STAR or RFC fancy making a contribution towards my train costs from Leeds then that would be most welcome :wink:

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 04 Apr 2009 01:37

STAR Campaigns

Maybe, but if you had more than one organisation you'd probably lose the economies of scale we have. Two organisations running half-full coaches could probably not offer cheaper prices than a single organisation running full coaches. Don't forget we're not talking about massive demand here.

For information, we can only sell coach travel to our members for two reasons. Firstly, it's a condition of our insurance that all passengers must be members, and secondly there are also good VAT reasons - I'm not an expert in this field but as I undertsand it, as an Industrial & Provident Society, sales which are only available to our members are exempt from VAT. If we sold to non-members then all prices would instantly have to go up by 15%.

15% of a £20 bus fare is all of £3.00

The way many other supporters organisations work buses is to have 2 prices, a price for members and a price for non members, member benefit is cheaper travel.

If the difference in your tickets is £5 for games through the season then people can choose not to join or see a benefit in joining if the use the bus more than a couple of times a season

not sure why your insurance has a condition that all passengers must be members. I wonder how often a STAR meber buys a seat but someone else (possibly a non member) travels in their place. Would this invalidate your insurance?

STAR TRAVEL

by STAR TRAVEL » 04 Apr 2009 12:26

As far as I am aware as an IPS any services we provide are to members of such a society.

As to identity, we expect to see membership cards at the time of booking, members are expected to carry both their membership and travel card on the day, we do spontanteous checks on cards and addresses, our rules are quite specific, membership is not transferable and anyone found abusing this will almost certainly have their membership rescinded. We do everything we can to make sure those travelling are legitimate members of STAR. When you have been doing this for as long as we have you do get to know people who travel with you, we place a lot of trust in them to be honest with us. So whilst we cannot claim 100% that it has not been tried, I think we can claim 99.9%. In other words as much as is humanly possible. :)

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 05 Apr 2009 11:59

STAR Campaigns
The 17 Bus For information, we can only sell coach travel to our members for two reasons. Firstly, it's a condition of our insurance that all passengers must be members, and secondly there are also good VAT reasons - I'm not an expert in this field but as I undertsand it, as an Industrial & Provident Society, sales which are only available to our members are exempt from VAT. If we sold to non-members then all prices would instantly have to go up by 15%.

It's not for VAT reasons as travel is exempt - I think you are confusing it with corporation tax reasons that mean mutual trading (that is with only members) is not taxable. Hence many events are members only and those that aren't are for a particular cause/charity so that any profits are balanced with a legitimate contribution to make the taxable profits nil.

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 05 Apr 2009 16:02

RG30 If STAR or RFC fancy making a contribution towards my train costs from Leeds then that would be most welcome :wink:

And my minibus hire cost?

136 posts