can star organise free coaches for Norwich??

136 posts
The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Norwich away

by The 17 Bus » 05 Apr 2009 18:51

starliaison
STAR Campaigns
The 17 Bus For information, we can only sell coach travel to our members for two reasons. Firstly, it's a condition of our insurance that all passengers must be members, and secondly there are also good VAT reasons - I'm not an expert in this field but as I undertsand it, as an Industrial & Provident Society, sales which are only available to our members are exempt from VAT. If we sold to non-members then all prices would instantly have to go up by 15%.

It's not for VAT reasons as travel is exempt - I think you are confusing it with corporation tax reasons that mean mutual trading (that is with only members) is not taxable. Hence many events are members only and those that aren't are for a particular cause/charity so that any profits are balanced with a legitimate contribution to make the taxable profits nil.

you have to hate this 3 quotes imbedded thing, I was nowt to do with this explanation!!

reading fc rock leroylero

Re: can star organise free coaches for Norwich??

by reading fc rock leroylero » 24 Apr 2009 01:21

I know it's pretty late notice, but i was wondering is it still possible to buy(well pay a £5 deposit) coach tickets for Norwich away?

I have phoned the STAR information number, but haven't been answered.

I am already a STAR Member.

Dan - B15 Royal

by Dan - B15 Royal » 24 Apr 2009 10:26

reading fc rock leroylero I know it's pretty late notice, but i was wondering is it still possible to buy(well pay a £5 deposit) coach tickets for Norwich away?

I have phoned the STAR information number, but haven't been answered.

I am already a STAR Member.

I phoned STAR last night and was told they had sold out.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 24 Apr 2009 10:35

from back in the thread, would assume someone from STAR will post how many are going here at some point.

All details are on the item on the STAR website, here, including the terms and conditions of this - without them RFC and STAR would effectively be writing a "blank cheque."

These are copyied here for reference, though:

Terms and Conditions:
· Priority for free travel will be given to existing STAR members, who have until Tuesday 14th April to book coach tickets for this free travel. After this date we will accept new membership applications for current non-members wanting to take up this offer.
· At the time of booking, we will ask for a £5 deposit – this will be refunded on the coaches en route to Norwich, and is a safeguard against “no-shows” who might book a seat and not use it, thus depriving another supporters of that seat.
· The number of coaches available is limited by availability of drivers etc on what is a school night, and so tickets will be “sold” on a strictly first come, first served basis, with limited availability.

At the moment we definitely have 4 coaches secured (which might not seem a lot but it is double what we've been taking to away matches this season!). Once theose are full we'll have to see, but definitely no promises here as there are all sorts of factors to take into account - not least that evening matches are difficult at short notice because of the number of drivers who are committed to school transport - because of drivers' hours regulations this would stop them driving on the Tuesday morning as well a the Monday night.

STAR TRAVEL

by STAR TRAVEL » 24 Apr 2009 17:56

We were not overwhelmed with requests for this, we had to make a firm booking on Wednesday morning, at that point we had 20+ seats available on a third coach, we still had some seats available 24 hours later, they have now been taken.The coach seats for this game have been available for over two weeks. We were prepared to run as many coaches as required but the demand was not there. :(

So in short in three coaches are going to Norwich.

by reading fc rock leroylero » 24 Apr 2009 18:30

So can you confirm, there is a not a single free seat?

Am only looking for one seat. What do you rate the chances of someone dropping out being?

STAR TRAVEL

by STAR TRAVEL » 24 Apr 2009 19:27

Not one I am afraid, as to somone cancelling, who knows, the best I can offer is to pm you on here if a seat becomes available.

by reading fc rock leroylero » 24 Apr 2009 23:37

If you could, that would be much appreciated.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 25 Apr 2009 00:24

Couldn't you try and get a lift off someone in the meeting up section. Just a suggestion. For someone to bail out at late notice would be a very slim chance and very late notice. Best of luck.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 29 Apr 2009 17:17

STAR TRAVEL We were not overwhelmed with requests for this, we had to make a firm booking on Wednesday morning, at that point we had 20+ seats available on a third coach, we still had some seats available 24 hours later, they have now been taken.The coach seats for this game have been available for over two weeks. We were prepared to run as many coaches as required but the demand was not there. :(

So in short in three coaches are going to Norwich.

Couple of questions :

Do other clubs make their coach patrons pay for 'membership' of their supporters club to be able to travel
Does this now go to prove that perhaps this charge should have been waved in light of the free travel on offer from the club?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 29 Apr 2009 18:24

I think it shows that the club did not really want to pay for too many fans to travel to Norwich, and therefore the club kept most of the TV money.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 30 Apr 2009 12:20

STAR TRAVEL The coach seats for this game have been available for over two weeks. We were prepared to run as many coaches as required but the demand was not there. :(

Simple reason for that - despite not getting on the A11 outside Norwich until a good 45 minutes after the final whistle, I'd still managed to pass STAR by the time I'd got to the A14. We got back to our first drop off point @ 12:50am so God only knows what time the coaches got back to the Madejski / Station (and then anyone on the coaches would still have to make their own way home).

Had the game been on the Saturday you may have had a lot more takers but Monday night was always going to be a small turnout.

Out of interest, what time did the coaches get back to Reading?

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 30 Apr 2009 13:03

T.R.O.L.I.
STAR TRAVEL The coach seats for this game have been available for over two weeks. We were prepared to run as many coaches as required but the demand was not there. :(

Simple reason for that - despite not getting on the A11 outside Norwich until a good 45 minutes after the final whistle, I'd still managed to pass STAR by the time I'd got to the A14. We got back to our first drop off point @ 12:50am so God only knows what time the coaches got back to the Madejski / Station (and then anyone on the coaches would still have to make their own way home).

Had the game been on the Saturday you may have had a lot more takers but Monday night was always going to be a small turnout.

'greed...It would be interesting to know the number of away fans who went aswell...

I think most people drove themselves, due to the lack of return trains and the fact that getting home was more direct than having to be dropped off by a coach and then having to get home from there etc...

Good idea to offer the free travel to those who don't drive etc...but it didn't really increase the numbers of those who actually went to the game..

boy1985

by boy1985 » 30 Apr 2009 13:06

T.R.O.L.I.

I think i passed them turning onto the M4 this morning.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 30 Apr 2009 17:46

T.R.O.L.I.

About ten to 2 in the morning. Worth it though!

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Norwich away

by Rawlie19 » 01 May 2009 22:23

Huntley & Palmer
Sun Tzu
moo How do they get away with this?

I think in simple terms it's called a legally binding contract signed by the clubs in returns for millions of pounds.

Clause 1 states 'screw the fans'.

Not so, I would guess that more Reading fans will now be able to watch this due it being on Sky.

Watching Norwich away on TV > going to Norwich away

Wrong I'm afraid. :lol:

And I got home (well, to bed) by about eleven. The benefits of having friends all over the country :wink:

136 posts