How do you book STAR Away Travel ?

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
The Insider

How do you book STAR Away Travel ?

by The Insider » 25 Sep 2006 10:12

HI

I am a Star member, but haven't used the Coaches before.

I am keen to go to West Ham this weekend, how do I reserve my place on the coach ?

AJ~
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AJ~ » 25 Sep 2006 10:21

The only way to do it now is in person down at the STAR HQ behind the Madejski east stand. Information here: http://www.star-reading.org/star_travel.htm (although the opening times do need updating). Not sure what the latest date you can book for the game is though, as they need to order the number of coaches needed in advance.

Will be my coach debut this Sunday too.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How do you book STAR Away Travel ?

by STAR Liaison » 25 Sep 2006 11:57

The Insider HI

I am a Star member, but haven't used the Coaches before.

I am keen to go to West Ham this weekend, how do I reserve my place on the coach ?

The best way is not to leave it this late as sometimes the coaches have to be confirmed as much as a week before, but this time I think you should be OK. The only way now is to come to the STAR base (opposite gate 7 at the stadium) on Tuesday evening between 7.15 and 9pm.

Normally before or after a home game is the most convenient way for most people to book - but try to avoid the period from an hour to half an hour before kick-off as this is when the queues are at their longest. It is usually open at least 2 hours before kick-off. If you are in the East stand you can also book at half-time as it is within the smokers compound.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 28 Sep 2006 13:00

starliaison
The best way is not to leave it this late as sometimes the coaches have to be confirmed as much as a week before, but this time I think you should be OK. The only way now is to come to the STAR base (opposite gate 7 at the stadium) on Tuesday evening between 7.15 and 9pm.

On Tuesday we filled the rest of the 10 coaches pre-booked and had to take names after that in the hope we could book some more coaches. Colin has managed to book 2 more coaches but as 1 of these is three-quarters full with those who came on Tuesday there will not be many more places available and so if you still need coach tickets for West Ham I suggest you get there tonight for 7.15pm when they open.

This will the first time since Colin has managed the coaches that we will take more than 10 coaches to a league game and shows unprecendented demand, so if you are unlucky we apologise but we have as many coaches as we were able to get.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 28 Sep 2006 13:12

Starliason, although nothing has been confirmed by both Liverpool and Reading regarding the date for the Carling Cup 3rd Round Match although it looks like Wednesday, 25th October with both teams playing the Sunday beforehand, do STAR have any provisonal prices and coach times for the match>?

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 28 Sep 2006 15:06

RG30 Starliason, although nothing has been confirmed by both Liverpool and Reading regarding the date for the Carling Cup 3rd Round Match although it looks like Wednesday, 25th October with both teams playing the Sunday beforehand, do STAR have any provisonal prices and coach times for the match>?

sorry not my area really - but I suspect the fact it has been completely manic for West Ham means that nothing has been finalised yet.

STAR TRAVEL

by STAR TRAVEL » 28 Sep 2006 15:29

starliaison
RG30 Starliason, although nothing has been confirmed by both Liverpool and Reading regarding the date for the Carling Cup 3rd Round Match although it looks like Wednesday, 25th October with both teams playing the Sunday beforehand, do STAR have any provisonal prices and coach times for the match>?

sorry not my area really - but I suspect the fact it has been completely manic for West Ham means that nothing has been finalised yet.

As Starliaison says, we have been a bit busy with West Ham we will deal with other trips asap. We will try to get the website info updated also, as well as trying to have a life. :wink:

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 28 Sep 2006 20:18

starliaison The best way is not to leave it this late as sometimes the coaches have to be confirmed as much as a week before...

I've seen a number of references about booking STAR travel especially in the Official Reading FC match day programme where it says "Under 18's are given priority but they have to book at least four days before the game to be sure of a seat". This seems to imply that leaving a booking to the last few days is not a problem. Is 4 days too late?

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 28 Sep 2006 20:54

Warfield Royal
starliaison The best way is not to leave it this late as sometimes the coaches have to be confirmed as much as a week before...

I've seen a number of references about booking STAR travel especially in the Official Reading FC match day programme where it says "Under 18's are given priority but they have to book at least four days before the game to be sure of a seat". This seems to imply that leaving a booking to the last few days is not a problem. Is 4 days too late?

The point for under 18s is that if, like on Tuesday, coach 5 is not full of unaccompanied minors, it is filled with other supporters so from that point there will be no more seats on that coach - but as there is only one coach 5 that will be confirmed more than a week before the actual game. It is not possible at the moment (nor necessary yet despite the other demand for West Ham) to run a second coach for unaccompanied minors.

My point of booking as early as possible was not meant to be prescient but it was when an unprecedented 10 coaches were filled by Tuesday and we have had to go to another company to be able to book another 2 coaches as Horseman could not supply any more for Sunday. We do try to make it possible for everyone who wants to travel with us to do so but sometimes those who try to book at the last moment will be disappointed. To put it in perspective we usually take 10% of the away crowd to the game but if that is the case on Sunday we would be taking about 6000 - which is not the case - so, for whatever reason, the demand this week has been much more than anticipated.

MC ROYAL

by MC ROYAL » 28 Sep 2006 23:10

So as a 16 year old, i am only able to travel on coach 5 going by myself? or is this just reserved for minors? looks like it may have to be the train then.

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 28 Sep 2006 23:28

MC ROYAL So as a 16 year old, i am only able to travel on coach 5 going by myself? or is this just reserved for minors? looks like it may have to be the train then.

Good luck getting back.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 29 Sep 2006 09:29

MC ROYAL So as a 16 year old, i am only able to travel on coach 5 going by myself? or is this just reserved for minors? looks like it may have to be the train then.

Sorry I don't understand your question - as a 16 year old you are a minor, and yes if you want to travel by yourself you will have to book on coach 5.

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 29 Sep 2006 21:32

starliaison

Sorry I don't understand your question - as a 16 year old you are a minor, and yes if you want to travel by yourself you will have to book on coach 5.

:lol: You got told.

AJ~
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AJ~ » 30 Sep 2006 21:21

starliaison On Tuesday we filled the rest of the 10 coaches pre-booked and had to take names after that in the hope we could book some more coaches. Colin has managed to book 2 more coaches but as 1 of these is three-quarters full with those who came on Tuesday there will not be many more places available and so if you still need coach tickets for West Ham I suggest you get there tonight for 7.15pm when they open.

This will the first time since Colin has managed the coaches that we will take more than 10 coaches to a league game and shows unprecendented demand, so if you are unlucky we apologise but we have as many coaches as we were able to get.

12 coaches! Will be a busy morning tomorrow at the Madejski then. How many do each hold?

MC ROYAL

by MC ROYAL » 30 Sep 2006 21:46

starliaison

Yea badly worded, what i was trying to say is: can minors go on any coach but coach 5 is reserved for minors only. But the train will have to do.

STAR TRAVEL

by STAR TRAVEL » 30 Sep 2006 22:47

MC ROYAL
starliaison

Yea badly worded, what i was trying to say is: can minors go on any coach but coach 5 is reserved for minors only. But the train will have to do.

Coach 5 is specifically for unaccompanied under 18's. Unnaccompanied 18's will not be allowed to travel on other coaches, unless they are stewarded by CRB cleared stewards. If an under 18 is accompanied by an adult (parent etc) they would then be able to book on to the other coaches.

MC ROYAL

by MC ROYAL » 01 Oct 2006 00:13

STAR TRAVEL
MC ROYAL
starliaison

Coach 5 is specifically for unaccompanied under 18's. Unnaccompanied 18's will not be allowed to travel on other coaches, unless they are stewarded by CRB cleared stewards. If an under 18 is accompanied by an adult (parent etc) they would then be able to book on to the other coaches.

OK, thanks for clearing that up, but is there any reason minors cant go on the other coaches? Probably for insurance or something i guess, but surely its more dangerous for us to be travelling alone on the train.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 01 Oct 2006 12:33

MC ROYAL OK, thanks for clearing that up, but is there any reason minors cant go on the other coaches? Probably for insurance or something i guess, but surely its more dangerous for us to be travelling alone on the train.

It is in line with best practice for Child Protection and very likely to be law shortly. Don't ask us to justify it on logic grounds though :oops:

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 01 Oct 2006 18:01

To be honest, I travelled to away games before I was 18 only on STAR buses as I had no choice.... Having a bus for the lot of you unaccompanied people sounds better than sitting with a bunch of boring old people on the way to Swindon

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1