Fans' Forum - Thurs 18th February - Guest: Brian McDermott

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
STAR Webmaster

Fans' Forum - Thurs 18th February - Guest: Brian McDermott

by STAR Webmaster » 02 Feb 2010 22:05

On Thursday 18th February we will be holding the first STAR Fans' Forum of 2010 in the Princess Suite of the Madejski Stadium, 8pm start.

We're delighted to welcome the newly appointed full time Reading manager Brian McDermott as our guest.

As always entry is FREE to STAR members and membership will be available on the night.

If there's any questions you'd like asked to Brian please send them to info@star-reading.org.

james15

Re: Fans' Forum - Thurs 18th February - Guest: Brian McDermott

by james15 » 05 Feb 2010 17:38

I'll come along and join up on the night.

Stuffed Crust Pizza

by Stuffed Crust Pizza » 18 Feb 2010 23:22

Please, can any one that was in attendance give us an idea of what was said at tonight's forum? Or even better could STAR give us a transcript?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Feb 2010 07:55

We had a long old chat with Brian and the basic upshot of it was that yes he does think he is a ringer for Heston Blumenthal.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 19 Feb 2010 09:48

First off can I suggest that anyone asking for a transcript 90 minutes after the Forum had finished is being rather unfair on STAR !

I think I've now been to Forums (Fora ?) with 7 managers (i can;t recall McGhee, Branfoot or Bullivant doing any - did they ?). I have always found the managers come across as decent people, usually with a sense of humour and I've never come away thinking 'what a tosser, we've picked the wrong man and he's never going to do anything for us'. Last night was no exception. Brian came across as a likeable chap, cracked plenty of jokes, made some sensible comments but didn't really say anything that will make the headlines of the EP.

He is clearly delighted to be in the job, but reminded us he's served a long apprenticeship to get to where he is now. His main message seemed to be 'keep it simple', which is probably what we need. He backed up those of us who find the abuse some players get to be utterly counter productive. He especially told us that Jimmy Kebe 'needs love' !

A couple of hours in front of an easy audience isn;t going to make or break him as a manager. I do think he's probably the right man for now, and much of what he said backed that up. He didn't really give us much of a feel for his long term plans or his footballing philosophy which may be a slight worry but I actually think he's the sort of person who (much like Pards) will grow with the job.

I look forward to seeing him speak again in 12 months time and seeing how his thoughts have evolved with experience. i suspect that his approach of taking 'one game at a time' will be as relevant in a promotion chase as it is in a relegation fight.

Thanks to STAR for once again laying on the event.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Feb 2010 14:51

Sun Tzu
1. I think I've now been to Forums (Fora ?) with 7 managers (i can;t recall McGhee, Branfoot or Bullivant doing any - did they ?).

2. Brian came across as a likeable chap, cracked plenty of jokes, made some sensible comments but didn't really say anything that will make the headlines of the EP.

3. He especially told us that Jimmy Kebe 'needs love' !

4. I look forward to seeing him speak again in 12 months time.

1. It's 5 not 7, Tommy Burns was the first, his first "forum" was the casual affair on the South Bank terrace back in March 1998. Since then there's been Pardew, Coppell, Rodgers and now McDermott

2 & 3. Have you seen today's EP, headline on inside back page "Jimmy Kebe needs love"

4.I would now be surprised to see the usual April forum with the manager so the August AGM should have more from Heston so that's 6 months rather than 12.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 19 Feb 2010 16:14

Barry the bird boggler
Sun Tzu

1. It's 5 not 7, Tommy Burns was the first, his first "forum" was the casual affair on the South Bank terrace back in March 1998. Since then there's been Pardew, Coppell, Rodgers and now McDermott

No. it's 7

Quinn and Gooding did one in the Rendezvous.

I was there. I should know !!

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 19 Feb 2010 18:08

Stuffed Crust Pizza Please, can any one that was in attendance give us an idea of what was said at tonight's forum? Or even better could STAR give us a transcript?

Sorry we have stopped doing the transcripts other than in Reading Matter as it was getting to the point where people said they would read the notes rather than come and it is not the best impression for the manager to come to a half empty hall.

Last night the Princess Suite was packed and there was a fair amount of laughter as well as a chance to learn a little more about Brian and for him to learn a little about us, and, from the conversations I have had since, much enjoyed.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 19 Feb 2010 18:11

Barry the bird boggler
4.I would now be surprised to see the usual April forum with the manager so the August AGM should have more from Heston so that's 6 months rather than 12.

We may change it but I think the next event is the quiz in March, an ex-players and stewards double bill in April and the only dates in May available are too late to be useful so it is likely Brian will not be back until the AGM in August.

Stuffed Crust Pizza

by Stuffed Crust Pizza » 19 Feb 2010 23:11

starliaison
Stuffed Crust Pizza Please, can any one that was in attendance give us an idea of what was said at tonight's forum? Or even better could STAR give us a transcript?

Sorry we have stopped doing the transcripts other than in Reading Matter as it was getting to the point where people said they would read the notes rather than come and it is not the best impression for the manager to come to a half empty hall.

Last night the Princess Suite was packed and there was a fair amount of laughter as well as a chance to learn a little more about Brian and for him to learn a little about us, and, from the conversations I have had since, much enjoyed.

Fair enough for not wanting to post a transcript. You make a fair point that I hadn't considered. Unfortunately I couldn't attend, would have loved to have been there to get more of a guage of the man.

I read on the official site that a "We're backing Brian" card was signed and handed to him - nice touch! Incidently there's a Facebook group called "I'm backing Brian". Feel free to join and show your support for the man!

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 20 Feb 2010 10:56

Barry the bird boggler

I won't be at the AGM, so if it's OK with you I'll stick with 12 !

Nice spot re Jimmy and the EP though !!

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 20 Feb 2010 13:34

Stuffed Crust Pizza
Fair enough for not wanting to post a transcript. You make a fair point that I hadn't considered. Unfortunately I couldn't attend, would have loved to have been there to get more of a guage of the man.

I read on the official site that a "We're backing Brian" card was signed and handed to him - nice touch! Incidently there's a Facebook group called "I'm backing Brian". Feel free to join and show your support for the man!

This transcript should be in the Reading Matter going to the printers this month so if you are a member you should get it soon....

As for the man, he came across as a humourous man willing to banter with anyone, confident without being arrogant, and possibly more of a 'football fan' than a lot of managers as he had his feet firmly on the ground in being very aware of what it all means to supporters. You could call him a more relaxed Coppell (who he called a legend yet again showing his awareness).

Am aware of the facebook group but we wanted the gesture to be more tangible and a large card really covered with names had the effect we hoped - he said he was going to put it on the wall with the picture of him and Benitez!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 21 Feb 2010 08:44

Seems to be a nice guy with intelligence. Talks sense about the game. Let's hope he also has that "mean streak" that managers need to stand a chance of being successful.

Big test will be what he chooses to do in the summer within any limitations JM places on the playing side.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Feb 2010 11:22

Nice touch though it is It's a shame that the manager even needs a card to tell him he's being backed. It should go without saying.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 21 Feb 2010 20:58

sandman Nice touch though it is It's a shame that the manager even needs a card to tell him he's being backed. It should go without saying.

Sometimes it's the things that 'go without saying' that actually need saying the most.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 22 Feb 2010 21:27

Clearly the Big Mac listens and takes note of the supporters. It is now refreshing to hear the home support getting behind him and the team more. I think the recent away support has been duly noted. Still a nice touch to hand him a card though.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 23 Feb 2010 11:54

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes