Stadium Expansion

1747 posts
SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 11 Oct 2006 14:50

Stranded
SpaceCruiser
Stranded Better picture on here. Seems to suggest that there will be gaps in the North and South West corners.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berk ... 040938.stm

That's still the same artist impression we've already seen. Not necessarily going to be the case.

Surely the point of an artists impression is to give a fairly accurate portayal of the finished structure from the plans in place. Leaving out two whole banks of seats in the corner is a pretty big ommission.

The original artist's impression of the Madejski Stadium before it was built is completely different to what was built, isn't that correct?

And anyway, what is the point of knocking down a stand to rebuild it? I always thought they just wanted to add a tier to the top, not move it back or forwards.

Bring back the South bank

by Bring back the South bank » 11 Oct 2006 14:54

SpaceCruiser
Stranded
SpaceCruiser
Stranded Better picture on here. Seems to suggest that there will be gaps in the North and South West corners.

That's still the same artist impression we've already seen. Not necessarily going to be the case.

Surely the point of an artists impression is to give a fairly accurate portayal of the finished structure from the plans in place. Leaving out two whole banks of seats in the corner is a pretty big ommission.

The original artist's impression of the Madejski Stadium before it was built is completely different to what was built, isn't that correct?

And anyway, what is the point of knocking down a stand to rebuild it? I always thought they just wanted to add a tier to the top, not move it back or forwards.

You're showing yourself up here thicko

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Oct 2006 14:55

SpaceCruiser
Stranded
SpaceCruiser

Each stand is to remain a single tier but become deeper. Further seats will be built on the back of the existing structure. As a result, it may actually be easier/more cost effective to knock down the existing stand and rebuild.

I'm no building expert though so am happy to be corrected.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 11 Oct 2006 15:04

Stranded Each stand is to remain a single tier but become deeper. Further seats will be built on the back of the existing structure. As a result, it may actually be easier/more cost effective to knock down the existing stand and rebuild.

I'm no building expert though so am happy to be corrected.

IIRC the original stadium design allows for the roof to be taken off, new sections 'bolted on' and a new roof put on. That is why some of the steelwork has a bit of an 'unfinished' look to it at the moment.

I believe they can even add upper concourses above the road around the east, north and south stands.

There will be no knocking down of existing stands as this was all planned from the start.

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 11 Oct 2006 15:22

I am hoping with the increase in the capacity of each stand, the concorses will be made bigger to accomodate the extra people. I should imagine this will be the case because the concorses struggle at times with the number of people using them before games and at half time.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 11 Oct 2006 15:24

That Friday Feeling There will be no knocking down of existing stands as this was all planned from the start.

That is exactly what I thought and therefore if the corners are already filled in then there won't be any "open corners".

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 11 Oct 2006 15:27

Stranded Each stand is to remain a single tier but become deeper.

I'm not sure that will be the case. I expect it will be a two tier structure but the tiers will not overhang (there will be a solid wall a few feet high behind the current last row of seats). THis would mean that the new seats will have their own access areas and their own concourse much like the current set up in the West Stand.

I may be wrong though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Oct 2006 15:42

Wycombe Royal
Stranded Each stand is to remain a single tier but become deeper.

I'm not sure that will be the case. I expect it will be a two tier structure but the tiers will not overhang (there will be a solid wall a few feet high behind the current last row of seats). THis would mean that the new seats will have their own access areas and their own concourse much like the current set up in the West Stand.

I may be wrong though.

I was always lead to believe that the single tier was the case but this could have changed of course. A walkway could well be added at the top of the current stands with entry points there. A bit like the disabled viewing platforms but along the length of the stand.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 11 Oct 2006 15:46

Reading Abbey "The Premiership club in Berkshire wants to increase its capacity from 24,045 to 38,000 irrespective of league status."

I don't see the point in leaving knocking down the corners and losing exec boxes. :?

No stands will be knocked down, it will remain a bowl. Don't take those artists impressions as gospel.

:roll:

lushrfc

by lushrfc » 11 Oct 2006 15:59

Is it only me, or are the "artists' impressions" absolutely rubbish? IIRC when we left Elm Park, we were told that the foundations (and therefore the plans??) were put in place to "add another tier". So is that the case, or are we exending backwards? Does anyone know what the reality might be?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 11 Oct 2006 16:01

lushrfc Is it only me, or are the "artists' impressions" absolutely rubbish? IIRC when we left Elm Park, we were told that the foundations (and therefore the plans??) were put in place to "add another tier". So is that the case, or are we exending backwards? Does anyone know what the reality might be?

Both!

An upper tier needs to go back further than the lower tier, so in order to have the extra height the supports (and presumably entrances etc) will have to extend backwards.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Oct 2006 16:03

It seems like it will all be one tier, but I doubt they will have put in the foundations with only one idea in mind. They'll be flexible and they will have incorporated them into any design.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 11 Oct 2006 16:05

Happy days...

Lenarduzzi's Hair

by Lenarduzzi's Hair » 11 Oct 2006 16:26

Wycombe Royal THis would mean that the new seats will have their own access areas and their own concourse

and their own higher ticket prices
much like the current set up in the West Stand.

Rob-Royal

by Rob-Royal » 11 Oct 2006 16:33

ArfnipIsARoyal I am hoping with the increase in the capacity of each stand, the concorses will be made bigger to accomodate the extra people. I should imagine this will be the case because the concorses struggle at times with the number of people using them before games and at half time.

If you think ours are bad then you should try West Ham's! Took 5 mins to get back from bogs to the entrance to the stand, which was about 15 meters!! I think our concourses are perfectly ok as it happens. I also imagine there will be a concourse at a higher level for those additional seats as well as access to the seats.....ie as per West Stand today....

bb0118
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bb0118 » 11 Oct 2006 16:57

Surprisingly, no mention from London Irish on their OS. They may well pay rent, but you would have thought they would annouce about it on their OS

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 11 Oct 2006 17:00

Ian Royal It seems like it will all be one tier, but I doubt they will have put in the foundations with only one idea in mind. They'll be flexible and they will have incorporated them into any design.

See we do have a plastic stadium after all, or at least a rubber one. :D

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 11 Oct 2006 17:05

Dear Reading FC,

When you put the seats in, can you make them blue and white hoops?

Thanks. 8)

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 11 Oct 2006 17:05

bb0118 Surprisingly, no mention from London Irish on their OS. They may well pay rent, but you would have thought they would annouce about it on their OS

Why, because it means they can hire just one stand for their games!

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 11 Oct 2006 17:06

What I'm slightly in the dark about is what they are going to do about the hill behind the East and South stands. The road that is already there is going to be built over, so where are the new pathways going to be? They can't go back much further even if they levelled out the slope becuase of the retail park....

1747 posts