Club Car Park

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 13 Nov 2006 20:36

Royalshow had to wait 45 minutes to get on a bus yesterday with some jerk singing behind me for the majority of that time.

What was he singing? Not "Ooh Aah Steve Sidwell" I hope.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 13 Nov 2006 20:57

Why is everyone still surprised that it takes ages to get out of the car park?

There are 25,000 people trying to leave a compact area at the same time. Why do you all expect to be able to swan up in your cars, park on the doorstep of the stadium and then leave within a nanosecond of the final whistle?

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 13 Nov 2006 21:13

Row Z Royal
Royalshow had to wait 45 minutes to get on a bus yesterday with some jerk singing behind me for the majority of that time.

No he kept saying 'why are we stranded here" and claiming his taxes had paid for the bus.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 13 Nov 2006 21:23

Royalshow
Row Z Royal

No he kept saying 'why are we stranded here" and claiming his taxes had paid for the bus.

Well he's wrong. I've checked.

Reading Buses is a business and, like any other business, pays dividends to it's shareholders. As Reading Borough Council is the sole shareholder, it gets the dividend - about £250k last financial year.

His bus fair pays for him to be sitting on a bus in a car park.

Crasher

by Crasher » 14 Nov 2006 07:33

As a sad statto who has nothing better to do once stuck in the car waiting to get away, i have jotted down a list of the times it has taken me to get moving (by that i mean out onto shooters way) after the last few home games...
Man City - 20 mins !!
Man Utd - 45 mins
Chelsea - 55 mins
Arsenal - 5 mins (sorry all, but at 4-0 down i decided to leave 10 mins early)
Spurs - 1hr 6 mins

The man city one was an oddity, but then it took me almost an hour to get in from the M4 for that game :)

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 14 Nov 2006 08:37

I think that some of the problem from Sunday may be that as the HP car park is closed, a larger number of people were parking on Green Park, and as they all come out the same way, via the same roundabout it meant that getting out of the Stadium complex took longer.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 14 Nov 2006 12:17

Jerry St Clair Why is everyone still surprised that it takes ages to get out of the car park?

There are 25,000 people trying to leave a compact area at the same time. Why do you all expect to be able to swan up in your cars, park on the doorstep of the stadium and then leave within a nanosecond of the final whistle?

Of course. In this day and age that should be entirely possible.

:wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Nov 2006 13:30

Row Z Royal
Royalshow
Row Z Royal

Well he's wrong. I've checked.

Reading Buses is a business and, like any other business, pays dividends to it's shareholders. As Reading Borough Council is the sole shareholder, it gets the dividend - about £250k last financial year.

And that says it all about their commitment to affordable public transport! Bl**dy hypocrites.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Nov 2006 14:30

Royalshow
Row Z Royal

I was nowhere near the buses but in the Jazz Cafe.

HTH.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 Nov 2006 14:37

I've been avoiding the fun of parking around the MadStad this season by coming by train/bus but am not sure this is financially very viable as it costs me £12 each time. Was wondering about maybe looking into stadium parking - anyone know whether any pre-booked places are still available, how to book them and what it costs? (or is this only available at start of season?)

Physci

by Physci » 19 Nov 2006 15:29

Royalwaster I've been avoiding the fun of parking around the MadStad this season by coming by train/bus but am not sure this is financially very viable as it costs me £12 each time. Was wondering about maybe looking into stadium parking - anyone know whether any pre-booked places are still available, how to book them and what it costs? (or is this only available at start of season?)

Believe season tickts for car park sold out long ago. Limited parking on the day available

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Parking/0,,10306,00.html

but with closure of hp, parking generally more difficult...

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 19 Nov 2006 15:33

LOL@ how bad its going to be when the ground is increased in the summer :shock:

Crasher

by Crasher » 19 Nov 2006 17:27

Physci
Royalwaster I've been avoiding the fun of parking around the MadStad this season by coming by train/bus but am not sure this is financially very viable as it costs me £12 each time. Was wondering about maybe looking into stadium parking - anyone know whether any pre-booked places are still available, how to book them and what it costs? (or is this only available at start of season?)

Believe season tickts for car park sold out long ago. Limited parking on the day available

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Parking/0,,10306,00.html

but with closure of hp, parking generally more difficult...

Being a long-distance home-game commuter, i long ago bagged a car park ST (at least 4 seasons ago). I'm now reluctant to give it up as i'm limited in my options for travel to-and-from the games.
I believe that existing car park ST holders are given first refusal on renewal.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 19 Nov 2006 21:17

I used to use my Costco card to get into their car park - but that is getting as difficult as the stadium one to get out of (unsurprisingly as it uses to same exit route).

Now I use the FW P&R. Always on the M4 and heading home within about 20 mins of the final whistle.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 Nov 2006 22:19

West Stand Man I used to use my Costco card to get into their car park - but that is getting as difficult as the stadium one to get out of (unsurprisingly as it uses to same exit route).

Now I use the FW P&R. Always on the M4 and heading home within about 20 mins of the final whistle.

So is parking free at Costco on matchday?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Nov 2006 09:16

Royalwaster
West Stand Man I used to use my Costco card to get into their car park - but that is getting as difficult as the stadium one to get out of (unsurprisingly as it uses to same exit route).

So is parking free at Costco on matchday?

Yes, if you have a costco card and get past the security man (simple enough). Just don't expect to escape very quickly. Much easier to bite the bullet and P&R.

coyrls

by coyrls » 20 Nov 2006 09:49

I've never tried the Park and Ride as I've always assumed that it would take ages to get the bus back. Is that not the case? BTW I don't want to leave before the game ends, so if getting the bus back easily means having to leave early it's not a solution for me.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Nov 2006 10:46

coyrls I've never tried the Park and Ride as I've always assumed that it would take ages to get the bus back. Is that not the case? BTW I don't want to leave before the game ends, so if getting the bus back easily means having to leave early it's not a solution for me.

No, I always wait to see the players go down the tunnel before I leave. A quick stroll down to the bus and usually get the first or second one to depart. Doddle really.

cheeryoleary

by cheeryoleary » 20 Nov 2006 11:14

I've given up on buses and have started to walk from the ground into town.

Sitting at the back of the East stand and sticking around to cheer the players after the final whistle means that by the time I get out of the stadium, the bus back to the station is half a mile long.

By the time it takes to get on a bus then crawl along the A33, I'm in the centre of town.

p.s. Stewards with loudhailers shouting at the masses of people trying to leave the stadium.... where do you expect them to walk? If there are too many people to safely accomodate on the pavement, don't let the buses out.

Greyfox

Club Car Park

by Greyfox » 20 Nov 2006 12:22

I realise that everybody who walks or uses the buses will not be interested but the casual approach of the club to the main car park is a sad reflection on how easy it is to sell tickets whilst we are in the Premiership. As this is likely to be many years and with an extended stadium, things will only get worse.
There are a number of quite simple things that could be done-:

Have all the exit roads two lanes for a period after the match, with no cars allowed up to the stadium in that time.
Improve the sequencing of the lights all the way to the m4 and into town.
Control the exits so that you do not have t..ts in 4 wheel drive BMW's pushing into the queue.
Pay stewards and police to control the flow of traffic- I remember going to Wigan a few years back, parking in the away fans car park and being back on the M6 30 minutes after the match ended. The policewoman directing traffic at the end of the exit road would not allow you to turn right or left, you went straight across whether you wanted to go towards the M6 or not. If Wigan can do it why not Reading!

I think if the club or STAR cared this would have attention. I do not agree with fans leaving to miss the traffic (and Murts was quite diplomatic about this on the radio this morning) and I accept that if I have the convenience of parking close to the stadium then I am going to have to wait until the pedestrians clear, but 1hour 20 mins to even get to the A33 on Saturday was hopeless. Perhaps we need a car park action group to lobby the club, perhgaps we could call it STARCAR!