Sweet Caroline

122 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Nov 2006 21:45

shadesrwrf
Toon Toon Blue army To be fair a few people sang it in Y25 on Saturday.

I must be going deaf in my old age then because I sit in Y25 and I'm buggered if I heard them. Agree with Schards, it's shite.

I have been campaigning for this song for bloddy years!! They did play it....once.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 20 Nov 2006 21:47

Royal Lady
shadesrwrf
Toon Toon Blue army To be fair a few people sang it in Y25 on Saturday.

I must be going deaf in my old age then because I sit in Y25 and I'm buggered if I heard them. Agree with Schards, it's shite.

I have been campaigning for this song for bloddy years!! They did play it....once.

Not going to help the campaign for City status is it!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Sweet Caroline

by RG30 » 20 Nov 2006 21:51

Schards#2 Please give it a rest and have get a sensible and appropriate piece of music for the teams to walk out to.

What does 1 classify has a "sensible and appropriate piece of music?". I always liked West Brom running out to Insomonia by Faithless.

When Hicks went up...

by When Hicks went up... » 21 Nov 2006 18:51

For me the song is all about memories of last season, and hence I was one of the many in Y25 singing along.

I say keep it.

Berkshire Born

by Berkshire Born » 23 Nov 2006 17:23

Humble apologies for mistakenly starting a new thread (now locked) for this but...

I have to say Sweet Caroline is a real anti-climax after the build up of Lux and Insomnia. Keep to the classics, I say. Caroline should be saved for post-match celebrations. We're going to become a laughing stock before long if they keep coming out to that.

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 23 Nov 2006 17:35

Berkshire Born Humble apologies for mistakenly starting a new thread (now locked) for this but...

I have to say Sweet Caroline is a real anti-climax after the build up of Lux and Insomnia. Keep to the classics, I say. Caroline should be saved for post-match celebrations. We're going to become a laughing stock before long if they keep coming out to that.

Its never been sung properly so you can't really say that.I garantee if most people joined in it would sound fanstatic,but for that to happen we will have to stick with for a bit.

Also for this to work the drummer needs to refrane from hitting his drum while it is being played.
Last edited by Royalshow on 23 Nov 2006 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 23 Nov 2006 17:36

Berkshire Born Humble apologies for mistakenly starting a new thread (now locked) for this but...

Why does anyone think that we become a 'laughing stock' for the music that is played t the stadium?
Who is going to be laughing at us?

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 23 Nov 2006 18:18

Royalshow

Its never been sung properly so you can't really say that.I garantee if most people joined in it would sound fanstatic,but for that to happen we will have to stick with for a bit.

Also for this to work the drummer needs to refrane from hitting his drum while it is being played.

Agreed, there were some in the north stand singing it on Saturday. I think it just needs to be played a few more times and the whole place will be singing along to it. As long as that b@stard drummer can shut up for just 2 minutes!!

Berkshire Born

by Berkshire Born » 24 Nov 2006 10:19

West Stand Man
Why does anyone think that we become a 'laughing stock' for the music that is played t the stadium?

If I went to an away ground and they played Sweet Caroline as the players ran on to the pitch I would laugh. Especially at Brighton. :lol:

Selecting the right pre-match music is clearly a fine balance. Choosing music that encourages focus with a bit of controlled aggression (though not too much - the 'metal' track sounded awful). Lux and Insomnia appear to be the right balance for both the players and the crowd.

Sweet Caroline must remind the team of larking around the pool on an early summer jaunt to the Costa del Sol.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 24 Nov 2006 10:21

Berkshire Born
West Stand Man

If I went to an away ground and they played Sweet Caroline as the players ran on to the pitch I would laugh. Especially at Brighton. :lol:

Selecting the right pre-match music is clearly a fine balance. Choosing music that encourages focus with a bit of controlled aggression (though not too much - the 'metal' track sounded awful). Lux and Insomnia appear to be the right balance for both the players and the crowd.

Sweet Caroline must remind the team of larking around the pool on an early summer jaunt to the Costa del Sol.

What if we went to an away ground and they player "Hi Ho Silver Lining" or "Delilah"? They're both naff songs, but because they mean something there they work.

Berkshire Born

by Berkshire Born » 24 Nov 2006 13:23

Dirk Gently
What if we went to an away ground and they player "Hi Ho Silver Lining" or "Delilah"? They're both naff songs, but because they mean something there they work.

If they work, then fair point. Would still laugh, though. These types of songs sound better after a win, in my opinion.

fridays child

by fridays child » 24 Nov 2006 14:01

Takes too long to get to the chorus and not enough people know the lyrics.

Doyler

by Doyler » 24 Nov 2006 14:36

Maybe they should just have the video and the music on that, it always raises my anticipation for the start of the game.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 24 Nov 2006 18:18

fridays child Takes too long to get to the chorus and not enough people know the lyrics.

And to wait that long just for a few people in the crowd to go dah dah dah at the end of the chorus seems to me a bit pointless

i thought i liked it, but it really is terrible

Harold

by Harold » 24 Nov 2006 21:18

Swing low, sweet chariot would be appropriate for Reading.

lozz2601

by lozz2601 » 24 Nov 2006 21:26

If the players like it and want it and it will help them, then maybe it doesnt really matter!
Did you ever sing any of the entrance songs?
Dont think I did.

Also, the video is very good, but i can never see away fans watching it - most of them are watching the pitch.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Nov 2006 08:04

Berkshire Born
Dirk Gently

If they work, then fair point. Would still laugh, though. These types of songs sound better after a win, in my opinion.

If you can laugh at Delilah then you haven't been a football fan for very long.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 25 Nov 2006 08:19

Delilah is a fantastic football song.

Second only to The Greasy Chip Buttie, imo.

Hflippers

by Hflippers » 26 Nov 2006 21:08

this song will always mean alot to me and im sure it means alot to the players as i was privilaged to watch them sing their hearts out to it outside wotever that place is opposite TJI fridays on nite of last match of season. ...phaps club could print words inside match day programme ?

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 27 Nov 2006 11:26

IMHO:
1) I think that it's a crap football tune.
2) I would assosiate it more with egg chasing anyway
3) Even if I did know the words, I would rather sing the theme tune to "Minder"

122 posts