Steward abuse and standing

231 posts
Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 28 Jan 2007 21:00

Schards#2 As long as STAR are thrown the bone of being able to bolster their membership by gifting royalty points by the club, they will be the club's mouthpiece and dutifully peddle the club line whenever told so to do.
STAR is run by people who used to sit in the Norfolk Road stand and who are devoid of passion apart from when they are in bed with Reading football club. Adolf Hinton would make a better representative of us fans/customers/cash cows.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 28 Jan 2007 22:11

Ouch Riseley....

Personally i think that the people who want to stand up all match do so just to cause a reaction somewhere. Or because they want to show how "hard" & "rebelious" they are.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy standing, but am not bothered that we're told otherwise.

I stand when we score, look like were gonna score, when one of our team gets floored, "Stand up for Steve Coppell", "Super Reading", sometimes when we get a corner or the ref makes an outragous call. The rest of the time i sit. Whats the big deal?? i think that all of that is acceptable & expected for a all seater stadium.

However, there's NO standing area, so sit the oxf*rd down. And until there is, deal with it. Christ almighty.

And if there is a standing area in the future then I will apply for a place there. But until that day i will continue to sit, happy that I'm still supporting my team, vocally.

Eastside_royal

by Eastside_royal » 28 Jan 2007 22:44

Matt de K Ouch Riseley....

Personally i think that the people who want to stand up all match do so just to cause a reaction somewhere. Or because they want to show how "hard" & "rebelious" they are.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy standing, but am not bothered that we're told otherwise.

I stand when we score, look like were gonna score, when one of our team gets floored, "Stand up for Steve Coppell", "Super Reading", sometimes when we get a corner or the ref makes an outragous call. The rest of the time i sit. Whats the big deal?? i think that all of that is acceptable & expected for a all seater stadium.

However, there's NO standing area, so sit the oxf*rd down. And until there is, deal with it. Christ almighty.

And if there is a standing area in the future then I will apply for a place there. But until that day i will continue to sit, happy that I'm still supporting my team, vocally.

End of.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 28 Jan 2007 22:48

Maybe some people just prefer to stand up at football matches, like they prefer to stand up when taking a slash, or to sit down when they're eating?
Its clearly not about being rebellious or hard.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Jan 2007 23:17

Winchester Royal

Maybe some people just prefer to stand up at football matches, like they prefer to stand up when taking a slash, or to sit down when they're eating?
Its clearly not about being rebellious or hard.

However, when it's not allowed and you are being openly defiant, perhaps that's exactly what it is?

If someone were to flagrantly smoke in a non-smoking environment would you call it preference or rebellion?

working class hero

by working class hero » 29 Jan 2007 01:55

Maybe some people just prefer to stand up at football matches

And Reading Town would be pleased to meet your requirements....

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 29 Jan 2007 08:26

working class hero

Sorry, but I don't see how you have the nerve to go around criticising Woodcote and then make such patronising comments yourself.

Many who spent most of their years standing at football matches find it strange being sat down in the sterile environments provided to spectate these days. I really don't get what's so difficult to understand about that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jan 2007 10:04

shadesrwrf
working class hero

Sorry, but I don't see how you have the nerve to go around criticising Woodcote and then make such patronising comments yourself.

Many who spent most of their years standing at football matches find it strange being sat down in the sterile environments provided to spectate these days. I really don't get what's so difficult to understand about that.

I agree some might find it weird to have to sit down but we've been at the stadium since 1998 - you'd think by now people would grasp the change.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 29 Jan 2007 10:26

Stranded I agree some might find it weird to have to sit down but we've been at the stadium since 1998 - you'd think by now people would grasp the change.

I've grasped it, but I still don't like it.

working class hero

by working class hero » 29 Jan 2007 11:00

shadesrwrf
working class hero

If there were a standing section I would be in it. I have stood at the majority of grounds in the country and at many non-league venues. I enjoyed Boston and Cardiff in the past few years because standing behind the goal was an option. I patronise nobody - merely point out that as the rules stand there is only one choice. Sit or attend lower level games. This is sad - but true. In the meantime we can all bombard the club with requests for standing areas, and possibly if the suits were to note that this would create a greater revenue stream [more punters in the same space] they might just be interested....

I do wonder though how many of those ranting at the stewards and the club are actually old enough to have "spent most of their years standing at football matches"? My guess is that many posters can barely remember EP and are therefore talking out of their posteriors.

The rules are clear as crystal and actually I really don't get what's so difficult to understand about that....

As for the criticism of 'sterile environments' / 'plastics' etc I reiterate the point that without the new ground and the new fans we would still be on the road to nowhere.

Like it or lump it we need to understand that the club relies on home fans for income and the income from lots of STs is more important than a few 'hardcore' fans buying lots of ephemera. The point above about income from away tickets is risible. The club would - sadly imho - prefer to lose fans who travel if it meant a 'better class' of fan at home willing to pay more....

And I speak as a fan who is so hard hit by the home ST prices that I have not yet been away this season. And I used to attend nearly every away game.

I have had to accept the reality. So too will some fans who will - if they push hard enough - get banned for a lengthy period. FWIW I will sympathise with those who are passionate - but there will really be little comeback given the repeated warnings etc....

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Jan 2007 11:11

Anyone spot a slight touch of irony here:

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

That's assuming you get greeted by the January SALE splash screen rather than the mobile phone one!

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 29 Jan 2007 12:17

RoyalBlue Anyone spot a slight touch of irony here:

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

That's assuming you get greeted by the January SALE splash screen rather than the mobile phone one!

It's obviously a "moment of great excitement" :roll:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Jan 2007 12:23

Have you seen what's in the January Sale?!

If that creates great excitement, I'm standing up the next time a player stoops to do up his boot lace!! :wink:

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 29 Jan 2007 12:40

An outstanding voice of sanity and reasonableness in the wilderness of stupidly extreme views. If everyone has stood up for an incident and then slowly slides down to their seat again and you are the lone pr1ck with a couple of mates who continues to stand, blocking the view of the six people directly behind you, then you are a tw@t, end of story, pure and simple.
As for those who find it "difficult" to get used to sitting after EIGHT YEARS of an all-seater stadium, how long did it take you to learn to walk and talk or do you still drag yourselves to your seats on all-fours and then miraculously discover that your limbs want to force you to stand for 90 minutes? :roll:

WCH is right, as well, when he questions those are most vociferous about the innate force of nature that makes them want to stand and claim all their early years on the terraces have bred it into them. Home or away, no-one over about 21 stands for any length of time - bar West Ham - so how much experience of terrace football can they truly have had at EP and elsewhere?

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 29 Jan 2007 12:59

3 veesinarow stupidly extreme views.?

pot. kettle. black.
see below:

3 veesinarow If everyone has stood up for an incident and then slowly slides down to their seat again and you are the lone pr1ck with a couple of mates who continues to stand, blocking the view of the six people directly behind you, then you are a tw@t, end of story, pure and simple. ?

were you bullied at school?

3 veesinarow no-one over about 21 stands for any length of time - bar West Ham -

do you want to go away and re-think that one? I would because its laughable.

Apart from that good points well made. Your not an MP are you?

DaveM

by DaveM » 29 Jan 2007 13:18

Did anyone hear the brief rendition of "stand up if you hate stewards" away at Birmingham on Saturday? I guess the message didn't get across to everybody and there may be some fans banned on Tuesday.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 29 Jan 2007 13:19

why doesn't the drummer get thrown out for persistant standing?

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 29 Jan 2007 14:10

gazzer, loyal royal why doesn't the drummer get thrown out for persistant standing?

Believe me, in the past, they have tried to make him sit.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 29 Jan 2007 15:30

MartinRdg
gazzer, loyal royal why doesn't the drummer get thrown out for persistant standing?

Now there is one ban from the ground I would readily encourage

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 29 Jan 2007 15:32

Huntley & Palmer
MartinRdg

Now there is one ban from the ground I would readily encourage

Its probably ok for him to stand, because he 'creates atmosphere'.

231 posts