Steward abuse and standing

231 posts
Joe

by Joe » 29 Jan 2007 15:33

can we not sing:

stand up if you hate the fact that the stewards seem to deal unequally with those standing which coupled with the annoyance about the seemingly pointless laws against standing up at championshipand premiership matches make me rather upset.......

it has a nice ring to it don't you think?

either that or
clive doyle, what a oxf*rd what a oxf*rd

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 29 Jan 2007 16:04

Joe can we not sing:

stand up if you hate the fact that the stewards seem to deal unequally with those standing which coupled with the annoyance about the seemingly pointless laws against standing up at championshipand premiership matches make me rather upset.......

it has a nice ring to it don't you think?

either that or
clive doyle, what a oxf*rd what a oxf*rd

I personally don't have a problem with Clive Doyle.
I've spoken to him on the phone and he seemed very reasonable.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 29 Jan 2007 18:29

gazzer, loyal royal why doesn't the drummer get thrown out for persistant standing?

Surely persistent banging must be against club policy :wink:

Harps stay sharp

by Harps stay sharp » 28 Feb 2007 10:15

Surely it's got to the stage where the FA should step in.

If it is unsafe for supporters to stand in an all seated stadium then the referee should not allow the game to proceed until the crowd are sat down.

It is a joke that the authorities concede that Man Utd fans stand up because that's what Man Utd fans do.

If they don't sit down the referee should take the players off the pitch. If they continue to stand then the match is abandoned and the opposition team awarded the game.

This would end standing in all seated stadiums very easily and quickly!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 28 Feb 2007 10:26

Harps stay sharp It is a joke that the authorities concede that Man Utd fans stand up because that's what Man Utd fans do.
A statement on the Man Utd official site yesterday was telling their fans to sit down at the match last night otherwise they would get a reduced allocation for their next visit to the Madejski (that was an instruction from the Football Licensing Authority).

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA%2D9A47%2D47BC%2DB069%2D3F7A2F35DB70%7D&newsid=406882

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 28 Feb 2007 10:36

The annoying this about a reduction in their allocation is that it'll decrease the revenue that RFC take from the game as I can't see the South East corner being split into say 1,500 Reds and 500 Royals.

Harps stay sharp

by Harps stay sharp » 28 Feb 2007 10:52

T.R.O.L.I. The annoying this about a reduction in their allocation is that it'll decrease the revenue that RFC take from the game as I can't see the South East corner being split into say 1,500 Reds and 500 Royals.

Good point, but should we play them in the cup then they should only receive an allocation of 2200 and not the full end.

IIRC haven't the FLA threatened this against Man Utd fans before elsewhere.

Perhaps if they were given smaller allocations it might stop them injuring their own fans as they did in Lens.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Feb 2007 10:53

As one of the Mods has moved the thread, in which I posted this comment about club policies, to General Football, I make no apology for reposting on this one:

I would like to recommend Steward 315 for an immediate promotion and a transfer to the South Stand looking after the away fans.

Every time home supporters stood up in Y21 during moments of excitement, this guy was up like a jack in a box gesturing to them to sit down. No doubt he was merely following orders from Uber Fuhrer Doyle but he was way over the top. By half time, his behaviour was incensing the home supporters who clearly could be seen arguing with him and pointing to the South Stand where the ManU supporters were being allowed to stand continuously with absolutely no action being taken. What's more, the loyal Royals complaining were not rowdy hooligans but middle aged guys not normally associated with any form of misbehaviour.

Throughout the first half, the front row of United supporters in the South Stand stood right in front of a line of stewards, who in turn were stood facing them just a couple of feet away.

Guess what, after half time, every single person in that front row was back in their position and joined the rest of the South Stand in standing for the whole of the second half. This clearly exposes the fairy tale of 'quiet ejections of offenders from the concourses' as the complete and utter load of b*llocks that most Royal supporters, with the exception of our STAR 'representatives' know it to be.

Why the hell do STAR think the club are refusing to tell them how many away supporters are ejected for standing? Might it not be that they know only too well that to do so would show, once and for all, that they are not being truthful?

Do the STAR officials who deal with the club management on matters such as this not have any pride? Do they not resent being strung along, taken for mugs and being fed untruths? I certainly would.

Instead, they appear to completely lack shame and trot back from their meetings with the club to pass on messages from the club management to us about the misbehaviour of the home fans etc. etc.

Oh and what about the complete and utter b*llocks regarding supporters of away clubs having their ticket allocations reduced for persistent standing? Those very same United fans who were allowed to stand throughout the league fixture at the Mad Stad, whilst home supporters next to them were treated with an iron fist as usual, were rewarded for their behaviour with an increased ticket allocation
(And yes, I do know they were 'entitled' to an increased allocation of 15% but that then could have been cut back. But, of course, that might have cost RFC money - although maybe the reduced allocation could conveniently be half the South Stand - and that is clearly a far more important consideration than enforcing safety rules!)

Harps stay sharp

by Harps stay sharp » 28 Feb 2007 11:01

I saw that steward in Y21 he was up and down so much I thought he was trying to start a Mexican Wave.

I still maintain and I do it myself. I stand to sing when there is a break in play e.g Injury or waiting for the ball for a corner or free kick and of course when we score or get close, then I sit down the rest of the time.

It is impossible to remain seated constantly throughout the game, but there is absolutely no reason to stand throughout.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 28 Feb 2007 11:08

Harps stay sharp but there is absolutely no reason to stand throughout.

What does that mean? I like to stand, so why can't I?

Tennents Super
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Kicking and a gouging in the mud, and the blood and the beer.

by Tennents Super » 28 Feb 2007 11:08

Harps stay sharp It is impossible to remain seated constantly throughout the game.

The people in the disabled area manage it.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 28 Feb 2007 11:47

The next time i'm told to sit down when the stewards aren't making any effort to get the away support to sit i will sue the club for a breach of my Equal opportunities rights.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 28 Feb 2007 12:37

AbovetheI The next time i'm told to sit down when the stewards aren't making any effort to get the away support to sit i will sue the club for a breach of my Equal opportunities rights.

Does equal opportunites not only apply to employers/employees?

Magnus

Re: Steward abuse and standing

by Magnus » 28 Feb 2007 12:51

starliaison I was asked at the senior management meeting today to pass on a message to all fans of Reading, the East stand and Y26 in particular, that the club will not condone persistant standing and will certainly not allow abuse of the stewards who are doing the job they are employed for.

This is not a discussion of what the rules should be and whether we agree with them but a warnng that the rules that currently exist will be enforced and if it is necessary large numbers may find themselves banned from the Madejski.

The club is particularly aware that Reading fans are bottom of the fans fair play league and possibly working towards reduced away allocations if they continue this way. Although our fans are witty and knowledgeable in some songs, their song on Saturday abusing their own stewards is a step too far for the club.

Why have you posted this? Would a better course of action have been to respond that you are there to support the fans interests, not lecture them on their behaviour?

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 28 Feb 2007 12:51

I stood up for the last 10/15 mins without any hassle from stewards. It was a joy.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 28 Feb 2007 13:06

Seal I stood up for the last 10/15 mins without any hassle from stewards. It was a joy.

glad to hear mate...thats how it should be, especially with such a dramatic ending!!

hope you sung loud and proud and showed them plastic mancs what a proper home atmopshere should be like

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Steward abuse and standing

by Royal Lady » 28 Feb 2007 13:08

Magnus
starliaison I was asked at the senior management meeting today to pass on a message to all fans of Reading, the East stand and Y26 in particular, that the club will not condone persistant standing and will certainly not allow abuse of the stewards who are doing the job they are employed for.

This is not a discussion of what the rules should be and whether we agree with them but a warnng that the rules that currently exist will be enforced and if it is necessary large numbers may find themselves banned from the Madejski.

The club is particularly aware that Reading fans are bottom of the fans fair play league and possibly working towards reduced away allocations if they continue this way. Although our fans are witty and knowledgeable in some songs, their song on Saturday abusing their own stewards is a step too far for the club.

Why have you posted this? Would a better course of action have been to respond that you are there to support the fans interests, not lecture them on their behaviour?
And how is this message relayed to those fans who don't come on here?

Harps stay sharp

by Harps stay sharp » 28 Feb 2007 13:15

Jerry St Clair

Because there are no standing facilities. :roll:

roland*

by roland* » 28 Feb 2007 13:21

Harps stay sharp
Jerry St Clair

Because there are no standing facilities. :roll:

Sorry, but how is that a justification for your assertion that 'there is no reason to stand'?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Feb 2007 13:24

AbovetheI The next time i'm told to sit down when the stewards aren't making any effort to get the away support to sit i will sue the club for a breach of my Equal opportunities rights.

And do be sure to be making that claim loudly when you are outside the stadium wishing you'd been less of a fool, while the rest of us continue to enjoy the game. :oops:

231 posts