Attn. The Drummer

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 28 Feb 2007 17:25

Royals Drummer I understand what u are all saying about the "come on Reading" chant, but we do seem to have very few, constant chants,

I am told that "blue army" can be over used so we are looking for other inspiration.
i love "come on you royals" but it doesn't last for very long, and you cannot get momentum behind it.

ideas??

No problem with your drum, but once the chants get going, stop banging!
You often drown out the noise that starts.

BANG BANG BOOM BOOM "blaaaaaarmy, blaaaaaarmy..........." BOOM BOOM BANG BANG :wink:

:shock:

roland*

by roland* » 28 Feb 2007 17:31

Royals Drummer i love "come on you royals" but it doesn't last for very long, and you cannot get momentum behind it.

This is criminally underused, should be rocking the stands to this for every attacking set piece IMO.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 28 Feb 2007 17:38

roland*
Royals Drummer i love "come on you royals" but it doesn't last for very long, and you cannot get momentum behind it.

This is criminally underused, should be rocking the stands to this for every attacking set piece IMO.

BOOM BOOM BOOM READING, utter oxf*rd.

There's quite a few constant chants they just don't involve a drum..hmm.......

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 28 Feb 2007 19:08

ideas??

A) it's not supposed to go on for ever, you plank. Just in the build up to a corner, or after a good spell of play.

B) Momentum!? :lol: Did you never stand on the Southbank? It was the only song that EVERYBODY sang.

LimpBiscuit

by LimpBiscuit » 28 Feb 2007 22:05

Royals Drummer I understand what u are all saying about the "come on Reading" chant, but we do seem to have very few, constant chants,

I am told that "blue army" can be over used so we are looking for other inspiration.
i love "come on you royals" but it doesn't last for very long, and you cannot get momentum behind it.

ideas??

Do me a favour and leave your drum at home for one or two..........DECADES.

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 28 Feb 2007 22:19

Drop ooh aah steve sidwell and go back to super steve please. Drop super kev and stick with we all dream of a team of kevin doyles. Molly Malone needs to be sung more often and louder IMO, and FFS LOSE THE oxf*rd DRUM!!

HTH

Slider

by Slider » 28 Feb 2007 23:13

Royalshow
roland*
All sorts my only moan about last nights game is u (drummer) still continue with that god awful 'come on reading' chant and 'ohh ahh steve sidwell', please if u could refrain from using said chants i think the world would be better place!

don't get me wrong without the drum half the people who sing/clap wouldn't, so carry on the good work but please please please drop those two chants from your set list

I can confirm that there is not a lot a love for the above mentioned chants in B18.

The general consenus is that said chants should be stopped. For good.

i hate both of the above songs

I;ll sign my name to that as well, ta

Ooo Trevor Morley

by Ooo Trevor Morley » 01 Mar 2007 05:21

We need someone, a sensible person, with a megaphone. All the loudest supporters from around the world are orchastrated by a man or men with a megaphone/s: think most Serie A clubs, Panathinaikos, Urawa Reds, Boca Juniors, Real Madrid etc. In fact, most of these fans practise chants away from games, which may be going too far.

Anyway, if we had someone with a megaphone then we could get longer more impressive chants going, such as Horto Magico as sung at two year old Melbourne Victory in this cracking video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf90Urwx3T4

Here's an excellent video of three drummers orchastrating Urawa Red supporters. You have to wait till 1.10 seconds in. It's bloody brilliant. If the FLA eventually let us stand we could replicate this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEIzqZZYHIc

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 01 Mar 2007 12:18

i think it sounds stupid and REALLY plastic

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 Mar 2007 12:24

Out of interest would Royal Drummer be willing to leave his drum at home along with his friends instruments for say, Portsmouth. We can then assess how much effect it has on the crowd noise

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 01 Mar 2007 12:26

Great shout.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 01 Mar 2007 12:32

Seal Great shout.

hardly affect us down that end...the drummer leads most of the singing in the south stand too due to the acoustics across the pitch

Skyline

by Skyline » 01 Mar 2007 12:41

Huntley & Palmer Out of interest would Royal Drummer be willing to leave his drum at home along with his friends instruments for say, Portsmouth. We can then assess how much effect it has on the crowd noise

Portsmouth, now there's a club with a musical idiot problem. No matter how much you might detest the drum (and I do), it's still better than the twat with the cowbells at Pompey.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 01 Mar 2007 12:43

Sharpy
Seal Great shout.

hardly affect us down that end...the drummer leads most of the singing in the south stand too due to the acoustics across the pitch

True, but would still be interesting to see what difference it made to atmosphere overall.

If it is noticably poorer then there goes the argument against having the drummer.

If it's better then things get interesting....

Royals Drummer

by Royals Drummer » 01 Mar 2007 12:47

I get feed back from fans and staff at the Madejski most of it is very positive, please cast your mind back to pre drums, and you must remember how quiet it was.
With possibley the most persistent / annoying bell ringers coming to the Mad stad I don't think this would be a good idea.
The club has come along way from those Elm Park days, we have a new generation of supporters who do not know how to sing, when to sing, what to sing. We are riding on the surf of Euphoria, following a brilliant cup night, where the Stadium really rocked at the end. I think the East stand singers are brilliant, as they consistently sing and they make a major impact on their area, unfortunately, as previously agreed, the accoustics of where they sit does not resonate around the ground. In the North Stand, they can hardly be heard, to be fair at the other end of the East stand they can't be heard.
I would prefer rather than dropping the drum, to have the East stand singers behind the goal and see the difference in sound.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 01 Mar 2007 13:55

Royals Drummer I get feed back from fans and staff at the Madejski most of it is very positive, please cast your mind back to pre drums, and you must remember how quiet it was.
With possibley the most persistent / annoying bell ringers coming to the Mad stad I don't think this would be a good idea.
The club has come along way from those Elm Park days, we have a new generation of supporters who do not know how to sing, when to sing, what to sing. We are riding on the surf of Euphoria, following a brilliant cup night, where the Stadium really rocked at the end. I think the East stand singers are brilliant, as they consistently sing and they make a major impact on their area, unfortunately, as previously agreed, the accoustics of where they sit does not resonate around the ground. In the North Stand, they can hardly be heard, to be fair at the other end of the East stand they can't be heard.
I would prefer rather than dropping the drum, to have the East stand singers behind the goal and see the difference in sound.

That's a fair enough argument!
At times last season, the East Stand were all singing in unison and it was awesome. If more of the East Stand joined in then we wouldn't be able to hear you either. :wink:

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 01 Mar 2007 13:57

Royals Drummer I get feed back from fans and staff at the Madejski most of it is very positive, please cast your mind back to pre drums, and you must remember how quiet it was.

Fair enough but would you consider on an experimental basis to leave the drum at home. You made reference to the atmosphere pre drums which is a fair point but we weren't selling out games back then, now we are and surely an experiment would be beneficial.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 01 Mar 2007 14:00

RG30

Fair enough but would you consider on an experimental basis to leave the drum at home. You made reference to the atmosphere pre drums which is a fair point but we weren't selling out games back then, now we are and surely an experiment would be beneficial.

[FAO BACK THE BOYS]

Same please. Leave out the Tom hark for a game. Or all 24 home games. That was lovely against Man Utd!

24 home games? Good days! :lol: :oops:
Last edited by Coppelled Streets on 01 Mar 2007 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 01 Mar 2007 14:19

RG30 Fair enough but would you consider on an experimental basis to leave the drum at home. You made reference to the atmosphere pre drums which is a fair point but we weren't selling out games back then, now we are and surely an experiment would be beneficial.

As I said right at the top of this thread I'm not a big fan of drums in football but the fact is that many of the chants in the north and west stands (I sit in the west) would not happen without it. The drummer does a good job generating an atmoshere where otherwise there would be almost none.

I don't see the benefit of running this 'experiment'. The east stand will make a noise, the others won't. What will that acheive apart from giving the east standers bragging rights? It certainly won't help the team on the pitch.

Maybe you can pick out a game we don't want/need to win.

Coppelled Streets [FAO BACK THE BOYS]

Same please. Leave out the Tom hark for a game. Or all 24 home games. That was lovely against Man Utd!

We were Tom Harkless because we didn't score a goal to equalise or go ahead. It would not have been appropriate. If Gunnar's shot had gone in it would have been played and 99% of RFC fans would have loved it.

Lovely against Man Utd? :shock: I'll take winning goals and Tom Hark any day!

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 Mar 2007 14:42

Most certainly in my little pocket of B19 in the North Stand there are many attempts at singing that are blocked out by the drum. If it wasn't there dictating the entire stand, then it would be a different story I am sure. If people hear a bunch of people singing songs then they will join in, it doesn't have to be lead by a drum.

So Royal Drummer, are you willing to give it a go for one game. If that is too much trouble for your ego then how about the first 45 mins of Pompey