Stadium Expansion

1747 posts
RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 16 Mar 2007 08:55

bobby1413 I am 90% certain that no premiership club will allow/encourage standing in their stadiums.

Everton Chief Excutive Keith Wyness said they would back any proposal's to have terracing at the new ground, so 1 Premiership club publically has backed it.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 16 Mar 2007 08:59

roland*
Royal Spangle I like sitting down ......Thats all

But you can appreciate that some people might want to stand, right? The whole argument is about choice. As someone who wants to stand for the majority, if not all the game, I am being denied my choice. I

f the majority of people in the seated section wanted to stand, then the minority would be denied their choice of being able to sit down AND still see the game.

In order to resolve this situation the only answer I can see is that there are two sections, one for seating, one for standing. I just don't udnerstand why people who don't want to stand need to get involved, such a policy would not affect them so what is the problem?

If anything those who wish to sit for the entire game, like the utter cnuter who sits behind me, should be encouraging a policy of providing an area that caters for those who might toehrwise be getting in the way of their view.

This is an excellent and balanced post, until your ridiculous last paragraph where you criticise someone for using his seat. :lol:

roland*

by roland* » 16 Mar 2007 10:40

cmonurz
roland*

But you can appreciate that some people might want to stand, right? The whole argument is about choice. As someone who wants to stand for the majority, if not all the game, I am being denied my choice. I

f the majority of people in the seated section wanted to stand, then the minority would be denied their choice of being able to sit down AND still see the game.

In order to resolve this situation the only answer I can see is that there are two sections, one for seating, one for standing. I just don't udnerstand why people who don't want to stand need to get involved, such a policy would not affect them so what is the problem?

If anything those who wish to sit for the entire game, like the utter cnuter who sits behind me, should be encouraging a policy of providing an area that caters for those who might toehrwise be getting in the way of their view.

This is an excellent and balanced post, until your ridiculous last paragraph where you criticise someone for using his seat. :lol:

Point taken, but even standing when we score is a bone of contention betwen me and that abortion of a human being. :wink:

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 16 Mar 2007 10:55

You should tape a load of drawing pins to his seat.
I don't think he'd be doing much sitting then :lol:

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 16 Mar 2007 11:23

roland*
cmonurz
roland*

Point taken, but even standing when we score is a bone of contention betwen me and that abortion of a human being. :wink:

Maybe if you annoy him enough he will change his seat next year :wink:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 16 Mar 2007 15:08

West Stand Man
Winchester Royal
Royal Monk Do you guys stand up when watching the tv at home in the evening ?

Do you always sit down when you're taking a leak?

But I don't suppose he takes a leak while watching football - either in the stadium or on TV. Hope that helps?

It is a valid question. Do you stand in the living room to watch footy on the TV?

For me, watching a game of football is more like being at a gig for a band I love. I would always choose to stand at the latter, so what is wrong with wanting to have the choice to stand at the former?

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 16 Mar 2007 15:15

Bad analogy - some people like to sit at the gigs they go to (Jazz man), so thwy should they have view spoilt.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 16 Mar 2007 15:31

They shouldn't.
They can sit in one place, and we can stand in another.

Then we both get to watch the game the way we like to, without getting in each others way...

I don't see why people find that concept so hard to understand.

anR

by anR » 16 Mar 2007 16:13

Sorry if it was said, but is it too late to alter the plans to have standing in one of the areas of the proposed extension?

Ooo Trevor Morley

by Ooo Trevor Morley » 16 Mar 2007 16:19

SWLR Bad analogy - some people like to sit at the gigs they go to (Jazz man), so thwy should they have view spoilt.

I like his analogy. I think it is a good analogy. Some people do like standing at concerts - I've seen them. Indeed, some people like to sit, and I've seen them too. With all this insight I must be right.

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 16 Mar 2007 16:31

I stood in my lounge and watched the Newcastle game on tv last night .... it was not very nice so i will sit down for the next game on tv.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 16 Mar 2007 16:42

Were you also trying to start chants whilst watching the game on TV? What a ridiculous example to use

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 16 Mar 2007 16:44

If you wore colours then you're a saddo. :wink:

roland*

by roland* » 16 Mar 2007 18:18

Royal Monk I stood in my lounge and watched the Newcastle game on tv last night .... it was not very nice so i will sit down for the next game on tv.

Hehe, you're funny, I like you.

Diamond

by Diamond » 16 Mar 2007 18:32

i dont wanna p**s on anyone's chips here, but terracing for standing is very shallow, whereas terracing that you bolt seats onto is a lot steeper. You simply cannot convert existing seating areas into terracing. If you look at the steps leading upto the seats, there are two steps for every row of seats to make the climb easier. Take away the seat infront of you (that prevents you from topling over) and you have an incredibly steep slope that is just too dangerous.

So, new stadia (such as the mad stad) cannot comply with terracing, unless they either:

a) specifically design a new area for standing. RFC wont do this. Their planning application is for a specific number of SEATS, and with this (hopefully) set to be approved anytime now they wont alter this

b) rip out existing structure and replace. Cant see this due to the cost involved. A whole new generation of supporters (families etc) now come to football because its safer, and seating helps this safety feel. The Club(s) could well be at risk of losing this vital funding supply - and they just wont do it

Its a nice idea, i used to love standing on the southbank - but seats are here to stay I'm afraid, and IF there is standing it would be at a huge cost for those with new stadia - and it's us (the fans) who will pay.

Sorry for war and peace here

roland*

by roland* » 16 Mar 2007 18:37

Diamond i dont wanna p**s on anyone's chips here, but terracing for standing is very shallow, whereas terracing that you bolt seats onto is a lot steeper. You simply cannot convert existing seating areas into terracing. If you look at the steps leading upto the seats, there are two steps for every row of seats to make the climb easier. Take away the seat infront of you (that prevents you from topling over) and you have an incredibly steep slope that is just too dangerous.

So, new stadia (such as the mad stad) cannot comply with terracing, unless they either:

a) specifically design a new area for standing. RFC wont do this. Their planning application is for a specific number of SEATS, and with this (hopefully) set to be approved anytime now they wont alter this

b) rip out existing structure and replace. Cant see this due to the cost involved. A whole new generation of supporters (families etc) now come to football because its safer, and seating helps this safety feel. The Club(s) could well be at risk of losing this vital funding supply - and they just wont do it

Its a nice idea, i used to love standing on the southbank - but seats are here to stay I'm afraid, and IF there is standing it would be at a huge cost for those with new stadia - and it's us (the fans) who will pay.

Sorry for war and peace here

Have a look at this picture, posted a while back in a thread and tell me if you still hold some of those views.

Granted, it means sacrificing seats in order to maintain a suitable level of safety, but a solution such as this could easily be incorporated into the design of the extension. At least, thats my opinion, albeit fairly amateur.

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 16 Mar 2007 19:18

They would look shit in my lounge .... but thanks for the info

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 16 Mar 2007 21:37

Winchester Royal
West Stand Man
Winchester Royal
Royal Monk Do you guys stand up when watching the tv at home in the evening ?

Do you always sit down when you're taking a leak?

But I don't suppose he takes a leak while watching football - either in the stadium or on TV. Hope that helps?

It is a valid question. Do you stand in the living room to watch footy on the TV?

No, watching on the TV is passive, because you just watch, and watching at the game is active, because you support your team too. Its completely different, and you know it...

There is no need to react aggressively. I simply said it is a valid question. That warrants a valid answer - and there have been few (if any) so far. Emotive and aggressive retorts do little to back a case.

Of course I get excited by the game when at home, but in neither case (home nor stadium) does that mean I feel the irresistible urge to stand up. In fact I think I'd look a complete fool stood up in my living room watching football when I can be just as involved when seated.

The ideal for me is to spend most of the game on my seat being excited by the play, leaping to my feet in unison with those around me when play warrants it (usually a goal or a near goal). Having spent my formative years on the South Bank in the 60s, 70s and I am convinced that standing sucks.

You can have a different opinion, that is yours and everyone else's right, but fortunately mine is shared by the government at the moment. Suits me.
:D

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 16 Mar 2007 21:41

West Stand Man.

I agree with you. FWIW, I'd rather sit, despite spending many hours of my life campaigning for the right to stand.

What we have at the moment is the worst of all worlds, though. In particular, you find you can't sit for the whole 90 minutes because people in front keep standing.

On those grounds alone, surely it's better that there are safe-standing areas so you (and I) can sit where we like, and those who want to stand can do so in an area where they won't get in each others way?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 16 Mar 2007 21:52

[quote="roland*"]

In response to your point above, this actually proves the original view. These terraces are on a flatter slope that a seated area. An example of where it goes horribly wrong is the lower tier at the Millenium. That was a shallow terrace originally (it formed part of the original Arms Park). Now that it is covered in seats it is a nightmare for short people - either seated or standing. By short, I mean anyone under about 5'10. When seated they are looking into the middle of the back of the person in front; when the crowd stands they see even less.

In stadiums like ours no-one has a restricted view when we are all seated. It is therefore selfish for the older, taller fans to insist on something that does restrict good fee paying fans who will be disadvantaged by being unable to get a good view. Creating special standing areas is fine in principle, but I remain to be convinced that they work or that they are as safe as some claim.

1747 posts