2007/2008 Pre-season trip - Any ideas

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 16 Apr 2007 21:19

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Their going to South Korea for that Peace Cup, held by our good friends the Moonies. Think Bolton and Man City did it last year. How times have changed, to think we used to pay to go on tours.. :lol:

I heard something along these lines as well. Would make sense what with our profile in SKorea and Kyocera probably footing the bill

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 16 Apr 2007 21:42

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Their going to South Korea for that Peace Cup, held by our good friends the Moonies. Think Bolton and Man City did it last year. How times have changed, to think we used to pay to go on tours.. :lol:

http://www.peacecup.com/

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 17 Apr 2007 18:34

Y21_Royal

I heard something along these lines as well. Would make sense what with our profile in SKorea and Kyocera probably footing the bill

Kyocera isn't a Korean company, so no reason for them to be keen on us to go to Korea.

Korea (or Japan, where Kyocera is from) in July would be interesting, but horrible weather wise. The climate in July is like standing directly in front of a tumbledrier, and unless you enjoy being fascinated by just how much sweat you own body can produce without desiccation taking place, not one to be recommended.

hiro

by hiro » 20 Apr 2007 15:36

[quote= Korea (or Japan, where Kyocera is from) in July would be interesting, but horrible weather wise. quote]

True. it will be very hot and humid in our area in July/August. Not as bad as HongKong though.
If Royals play matches in Korea, then I hope they also play in Japan too.
But, I don't think they come to Japan this time. Kyocera's Purple Sunga of Kyoto is battling in the middle of 52 games long J-League Division 2, and I expect Purple Sanga against Royals in the athletic field type stadium in Kyoto only generate the crowd of 2,000 spectator.
Not match business to do in Japan, however, it might be worth playing against Purple Sanga as they have rised some International players such as Park(currently in Man U) and Matsui(French side Le Mans) in the past, and you may witness another unfound diamond from this Japanese team.

By the way Kyocera means `Kyoto Ceramic`.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 20 Apr 2007 16:29

From todays EP.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/readi ... tour_talks

South Korea tour talks

READING are in the final stages of talks about competing in a pre-season tournament in South Korea in the summer.
South Korean Football Association delegates visited Madejski Stadium a couple of months ago in the hope of persuading Royals to tour there in July and discussions are said to be moving along well.
Steve Coppell’s men would play in a round-robin tournament, which could also involve Korean sides and other European clubs.
Seol Ki-Hyeon’s presence would generate even greater interest in Royals shirts and merchandise.
If Royals decide against going to South-East Asia, though, a trip to Seattle in the United States is the most likely alternative.

MadStadLad

by MadStadLad » 20 Apr 2007 16:52

I'm hoping for Sweden again! Having been a Royals suppporter for over 33 years our family's move to Sweden 18 months ago kinda came at the wrong time as we hit the Premiership. However to catch the team last summer on their pre season training in Sweden was a great experience. I took the wife and kids and we saw all three games. Would love to do it all again this summer but maybe I'm just being greedy. Pics of the three games can be seen on my photo website http://www.my.opera.com/johnpersson/albums (scroll down to the Reading FC Pre-season album) If they do decide to come over here again it will be the fifth year in a row apparently! Bring it on!

Re: 2007/2008 Pre-season trip - Any ideas

by 1960 » 20 Apr 2007 17:14

Topfan05 Anyone got some north or west stand ideas, sorry hobbits from south stand don't qualify in this.

Stupid newbie twat. Start insulting people when you've had a few hundred posts. And don't think that the rolling eyes let you off.

Dawn

by Dawn » 03 May 2007 11:29

According to the official site we're going to Korea for the Peace Cup:

Reading Football Club are delighted to confirm their participation in this summer's Peace Cup in South Korea.

The eight-team tournament will get underway on Thursday 12th July, with the final taking place on Saturday 21st July.

Other participants have not yet been confirmed but are likely to include leading clubs from Europe, Asia and the Americas.

Past participants include LA Galaxy, Olympique Lyonnais, Tottenham Hotspur (2005 winners), PSV Eindhoven (2003 winners), Real Sociedad, Besiktas and Boca Juniors.

The draw will be held in Seoul on Tuesday 22nd May, and the tournament will consist of two groups of four, with each team playing three games and the group winners meeting in the final.

Venues will include four of the stadia that hosted fixtures in the 2002 World Cup Finals.

This will be the third Peace Cup, with previous tournaments having taken place in 2003 and 2005, when the fixtures attracted an average attendance of 32,000.

Chairman John Madejski commented, "Sport is a truly international way of bringing people together, and there can be no finer sentiment than a Peace Cup, which is the desire of every civilised nation. I am delighted that Reading Football Club will be participating in this trophy."

Director Of Football Nick Hammond said, "Steve Coppell and I are happy that the Peace Cup will provide an excellent part of our pre-season preparations, due to the quality of the tournament and the opportunity for our players to experience everything that comes with being a top-level Premiership performer."

Funds raised from the tournament will be donated to the Peace Cup Foundation.

Dr Kwak Chung Hwan, Chairman of the Peace Cup Organising Committee and President of the Korea Professional Football League, said, "The Peace Cup was created to help realise world peace through football.

"It embodies universal values and transforms the passion, joy and excitement of football into a channel for world peace."

Michael D'Arcy, Director of KAM Sports International said, "KAM Sports International is pleased to have arranged for Reading FC to take part in the Peace Cup in South Korea this summer.

"We know that this tournament will help the club to boost its growing reputation in Asia after a brilliant first season in the Premier League."

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1020062,00.html

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 03 May 2007 11:42

I feel sorry for the players that they have to travel 22 hours for a meangingless trophy/tournment as a warm up for another tricky season in the Premiership. But the club will be richer out of it no doubt.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 03 May 2007 11:47

RG30 I feel sorry for the players that they have to travel 22 hours for a meangingless trophy/tournment as a warm up for another tricky season in the Premiership. But the club will be richer out of it no doubt.

It's 11 hours each way though, saying they have to fly for 22 hours makes it sound a lot worse than it is ! That's only twice as long as it takes to get to some league fixtures in the UK.

We complained last season that we played too many poor quality teams preseason, now we get the chance to play a series of games against top sides and we still complain !

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 May 2007 11:50

Think it's excellent. At least three games against top opposition and warm weather work can only improve the fitness of the side. Add the obvious financial benefit of playing in SE Asia and TV rights - I believe Sky usually show the Peace Cup live and it's a great opportunity.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 03 May 2007 12:34

Im so happy with this! Really has reasserted Reading on the map, as well as all the other exploits this year :D

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 03 May 2007 12:35

God bless the Moonies.

:lol:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 03 May 2007 13:38

Is it on Sky?

Big Dan

by Big Dan » 03 May 2007 13:44

and we must have a chance of winning it,otherwise what's the point in entering it??

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 May 2007 13:46

Big Dan and we must have a chance of winning it,otherwise what's the point in entering it??

Money, exposure, decent opposition - there's three reasons for you.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 03 May 2007 13:47

Presumably we'll send the reserves though ?

MadMac

by MadMac » 03 May 2007 13:53

hmmm was thinking of where to go to on my holidays, might look in to this... :)

Skyline

by Skyline » 03 May 2007 14:06

Presumably there will be chants of "We're all going on a South Korean tour" from the East Stand on Saturday?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 03 May 2007 15:48

I'm sure people on here will take as much pride in winning this as they have done in winning the reserve league