Stadium Objection

173 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 May 2007 14:23

ScottishRoyal If my memory serves me correctly it was about a 400m walk so not too much of a deterrent, only an infrequent service after games would deter people.

I thought it was further than that. If it's not though then no I can't see that distance being a deterrent.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 02 May 2007 14:34

Huntley & Palmer
Behindu I remain amazed that more local pubs / organisations / groups aren;t organising coaches to games. There must be loads of situations where 40 -50 people could travel together on a hired coach, they would get parking at the ground and priority at the end of the game yet we don;t see it happening.

They do. The Rose & Thistle, Spreadeagle and Prince Of Wales are three that I know of in the local area that have a bus to an from the game

Key word in the original being 'More' !!

Three is a tiny number. I know a landlord in Henley was looking at doing it but don;t think anything happened, likewise in Tadley. I would have thought with decent local publicity a pub ought to be able to attract enough people for a prematch pint and grub / post match pint to make laying on a cheap or even free coach worthwhile.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 02 May 2007 14:37

ScottishRoyal If my memory serves me correctly it was about a 400m walk so not too much of a deterrent, only an infrequent service after games would deter people.

Rather more than 400m I think, 400 m would get you to about the edge of the car park behind the dome ! To the station would be over 1km I believe, but still not a huge distance. Agree that it would be the after match service that would be key. As part of the extension the club have said they want to encourage people to arrive early / leave later (ie spend more at the ground !) so there should be much more of the Hotel style set up where people meet for a beer / coffee / post mortem after the game and spread their journey.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 02 May 2007 14:38

It's a classic isn't it. RBC (a Labour Council I believe) and WDC (a Tory council I believe) work against each other in the face of development. For f*ck's sake, it's typical politics! Work WITH each other to achieve the ultimate goal! I can't see what there is to object about!

Of course, that's MUCH too sensible :roll:

royal goof

by royal goof » 02 May 2007 16:12

handbags_harris It's a classic isn't it. RBC (a Labour Council I believe) and WDC (a Tory council I believe) work against each other in the face of development. For f*ck's sake, it's typical politics! Work WITH each other to achieve the ultimate goal! I can't see what there is to object about!

Of course, that's MUCH too sensible :roll:

Read the facts. It's nothing to do with politics whatsoever.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 May 2007 17:06

There is certainly a significant political aspect with regard to the way that RBC and WC interact. To claim otherwise would be folly.

Harps stay sharp

by Harps stay sharp » 02 May 2007 17:14

Behindu
Three is a tiny number. I know a landlord in Henley was looking at doing it but don;t think anything happened, likewise in Tadley. I would have thought with decent local publicity a pub ought to be able to attract enough people for a prematch pint and grub / post match pint to make laying on a cheap or even free coach worthwhile.

There will be a bus from Henley to matches next season.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 02 May 2007 17:17

Harps stay sharp
Behindu

Is that a bus from a pub or a bus company one ?

If it's a pub then which one ? I have no doubt there are enough Royals in Henley to make it workable, certainly easier than getting the train.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 02 May 2007 17:35

Harps stay sharp
Behindu

Hope it picks up on the Henley Road and relieves the over-crowding on the 74.

Harps stay sharp

by Harps stay sharp » 02 May 2007 17:43

Behindu
Harps stay sharp
Behindu

If it's a pub then which one ? I have no doubt there are enough Royals in Henley to make it workable, certainly easier than getting the train.

An official bus company one!

kermit

by kermit » 02 May 2007 22:53

Is there anything actually provided by the council in Wokingham that is beneficial to people paying for it ,rather than anyone passing through ? In reading Passport to leisure holders (those in Reading council area get a discount to Reading facilities ) in Wokingham you get nothing ,but they do not provide anything to discount ,just ponce of every thing else in the area .

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 03 May 2007 05:15

kermit Is there anything actually provided by the council in Wokingham that is beneficial to people paying for it ,rather than anyone passing through ? In reading Passport to leisure holders (those in Reading council area get a discount to Reading facilities ) in Wokingham you get nothing ,but they do not provide anything to discount ,just ponce of every thing else in the area .

hmm there is always the carnival pool, one in Lower earley, lots of footy pitches, a few leisure centres, what else should they offer?

from a quick look it appears WDC also offer a residents card for lower prices.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 03 May 2007 07:23

kermit Is there anything actually provided by the council in Wokingham that is beneficial to people paying for it ,rather than anyone passing through ? In reading Passport to leisure holders (those in Reading council area get a discount to Reading facilities ) in Wokingham you get nothing ,but they do not provide anything to discount ,just ponce of every thing else in the area .

Weekly bin collections.

kermit

by kermit » 03 May 2007 08:49

Residents card is for disabled and unemployed . We are not even supplied with a tip for rubbish , have to go to Reading or Bracknell . No theatre or arts ,have to go to Reading or Bracknell . Lodden Valley pool and sports centre very badly run see last weeks Woodley Earley Chronicle .

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 03 May 2007 08:59

Behindu

It is one of the new RFC specific buses like the ones this season from Bracknell and Basingstoke.

I find it interesting that John Howarth on BBCBerks defended the application saying that the club has made significant plans for traffic!

Mass transport that everyone talks about just changes where the congestion is IMO. What is needed (and has been investigated and may yet happen from the discussion I have had with RFC) is a park and ride on every main route into Reading so that all the people who come from afar can stop at the first p&r they come across and come in by bus for the last portion of their journey.
Last edited by STAR Liaison on 03 May 2007 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 03 May 2007 09:02

need the flippin station in green park :roll:

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 03 May 2007 09:05

B18 I have the full report of their objection and i would like to know from STAR how many ST holders are there that live in Wokingham?.

I happened to have time to read this today but it is not the way to seriously ask STAR a question - a mail to info@star-reading.org is the best way.

Having said that how would we know how many STs live in Wokingham - the data protection Act means we do not have access to RFC databases. We can find how many of our members there are but not ST holders.

There was a map of the area that RFC issued with their planning consultation showing where ST holders live as a basis for planning where they would be running buses from and from memory Wokingham was not more or less obvious than the rest of the neighbouring districts.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 03 May 2007 09:30

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 03 May 2007 10:06

any further afield?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 03 May 2007 10:13

M4 Junction 11

This just goes to prove that indeed West Reading is not only wonderful, but also the heartland of RFC ST holders

173 posts