9%
Rich, and not as good as Shevchenko seems to think
4%

Total votes: 149
Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 27 Jul 2007 13:27

BTW

This was the big news I was privvy of a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.reading.ac.uk/about/newsande ... PR6251.asp

My post was predictably deleted.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 27 Jul 2007 15:55

Well I'm glad the wait was worth it you old fart!

<Insert winky>

by 1960 » 28 Jul 2007 13:54

Ego this, ego that. Why can't he have a big ego and still be a top bloke, both for Reading and the club?

Compare him with Maxwell. A big fat crook who was in football for all he could get out of it and didn't give a flying oxf*rd for the clubs themselves. Then stole all the Mirror's workers' pensions. Also censored the Mirror, suppressing any news he was not happy with.

So on the one hand you have a man big in publishing who was a crook. On the other a man big in publishing who's a top geezer.

Kitsonista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Kitsonista » 02 Aug 2007 13:28

I seem to remember that Big John said the stadium was named for his dad not for him. So it celebrates his family if you like. What better advert for RFC than a family centred Chairman who has done shedloads for the Town. A bit RTG but I've got a lot of time for him.

When a friend invited me to his hostility suite Mr Mad was in front of me in the queue and had to swipe his season ticket through like everyone else. He wasn't looking for any special treatment and just joined in with the rest. Admittedly it wasn't a turnstile and the floor was carpeted and everyone called him "Mr Chairman", but he could easily have walked straight in past everyone and not spoken to anyone, as it was he chatted to the people around him. No airs or graces at all. 8)

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Aug 2007 13:35

Dirk Gently You're right, but he's not done it all out of the kindness of his heart. His investment has, by my calculations, increased at least six fold in the time he's been here. It's also given him massive kudos and publicity, which, of course, he thrives on. Raisng his profile and influence like this has also been worth considerable sums to him as a businessman.

All credit to him for spotting the opportunity and making it work, but don't for a minute believe the publicity that say's he's done it for the people/town of Reading - he's done it to make money, directly and indirectly, and in that it's worked for him spectacularly well.

The Chairmen who approach their Chairmanship as something other than strictly business first and foremost are those who are destined for inglorious failure.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Aug 2007 13:39

Royal Rother
Dirk Gently You're right, but he's not done it all out of the kindness of his heart. His investment has, by my calculations, increased at least six fold in the time he's been here. It's also given him massive kudos and publicity, which, of course, he thrives on. Raisng his profile and influence like this has also been worth considerable sums to him as a businessman.

All credit to him for spotting the opportunity and making it work, but don't for a minute believe the publicity that say's he's done it for the people/town of Reading - he's done it to make money, directly and indirectly, and in that it's worked for him spectacularly well.

The Chairmen who approach their Chairmanship as something other than strictly business first and foremost are those who are destined for inglorious failure.

Absolutely, I ahve no beef agaisnt that at all! The only problem I have is when the JM PR machine tells us how generaous he's being for us and how he's doing it all for the people of Reading.

A goos example was the purchase of Leroy. Yes, it was a sizable sum (at the time), but we have never set a transfer budget and SC is always able to justify a purchase he thinks necessary.

But the PR machine at the time very much presented this as JM digging into his own pocket to use his own money to buy Leroy. It's not necessary and it just insults our intelligence!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 02 Aug 2007 13:47

Dirk Gently
Royal Rother

Absolutely, I ahve no beef agaisnt that at all! The only problem I have is when the JM PR machine tells us how generaous he's being for us and how he's doing it all for the people of Reading.

A goos example was the purchase of Leroy. Yes, it was a sizable sum (at the time), but we have never set a transfer budget and SC is always able to justify a purchase he thinks necessary.

But the PR machine at the time very much presented this as JM digging into his own pocket to use his own money to buy Leroy. It's not necessary and it just insults our intelligence!

Agreed completely, funny how we don't hear mention of the transfer fee anymore.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 02 Aug 2007 15:02

Kitsonista I seem to remember that Big John said the stadium was named for his dad not for him. So it celebrates his family if you like. What better advert for RFC than a family centred Chairman who has done shedloads for the Town. A bit RTG but I've got a lot of time for him.

That would be his Stepdad then. But I thought it wasn't his decision to name it after him but a board one. Although he agreed in the end. I think the stadium would have ended up being named after him anyway all the great stuff he's done for the club so might as well start out being named after him.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 02 Aug 2007 15:15

Would I be right in Saying John Madejski's original surname was Hurst?
The mad man took his father/step father's surname later on (Madejski).

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Aug 2007 15:16

Coppelled Streets Would I be right in Saying John Madejski's original surname was Smith? The mad man took his father/step father's surname later on (Madejski).

Hurst, wasn't it?

Hence "Hurst Publishing"

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 02 Aug 2007 15:17

Dirk Gently
Coppelled Streets Would I be right in Saying John Madejski's original surname was Smith? The mad man took his father/step father's surname later on (Madejski).

Hurst, wasn't it?

Hence "Hurst Publishing"

That what I said look. :wink:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Aug 2007 15:22

Wouldn't have a bad thing said about the man to be honest. He isn't just Prince of Reading, he's God of Reading.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Aug 2007 22:17

Kitsonista When a friend invited me to his hostility suite Mr Mad was in front of me in the queue and had to swipe his season ticket through like everyone else. He wasn't looking for any special treatment and just joined in with the rest. Admittedly it wasn't a turnstile and the floor was carpeted and everyone called him "Mr Chairman", but he could easily have walked straight in past everyone and not spoken to anyone, as it was he chatted to the people around him. No airs or graces at all. 8)

Suspect he just swiped a smartcard rather than a season ticket! Just a posh key really.

And it doesn't sound much of a 'hostility suite' if he was so pleasant towards everyone! :wink:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Aug 2007 08:40

SpaceCruiser Whenever I talk to my friend in Manchester about the subject of John Madejski, we always end up disagreeing. I keep saying that without John Madejski, we wouldn't be where we are now, but my friend keeps saying that he's got a big ego and why does he have to have the stadium named after him?

You have a friend?

:shock:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Aug 2007 08:47

I'm a big fan of Mr Mad; without him the best we would be doing right now is wondering how we would ever get to League 1.

Whenever i have met him he has been polite, courteous and displaying no billy big bollox attitude - a classy bloke imho.

Who gives a stuff if he has an ego and enjoys the adulation? He has earned the right to.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 03 Aug 2007 12:15

Mr Angry I'm a big fan of Mr Mad; without him the best we would be doing right now is wondering how we would ever get to League 1.

Whenever i have met him he has been polite, courteous and displaying no billy big bollox attitude - a classy bloke imho.

Who gives a stuff if he has an ego and enjoys the adulation? He has earned the right to.

my thoughts exactly. and I'm quite happy for him to have made sheadload form it too as without him the club would still be pootering along the bottom levels with temporary seats bolted onto the South Bank

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 03 Aug 2007 12:31

Rawlie19 But I thought it wasn't his decision to name it after him but a board one.

That sounds good until you realise that Mr M IS the board of RFC !!!!

Apart from his lawyer who is there becasue you can;t just have one person on the board....

The old story about the naming is that JQ was told that it would be a 'very good idea' if he suggested the stadium were named after JM, and when he did so there was the traditional 5 seconds of refusal before it was all agreed.

Although I'm not at all bothered about the name - he's probably one of the most significant people in the history of the club after all. Much better than calling it the Kyocera Mita Bowl or something.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 03 Aug 2007 16:40

Behindu
Rawlie19 But I thought it wasn't his decision to name it after him but a board one.

That sounds good until you realise that Mr M IS the board of RFC !!!!

Apart from his lawyer who is there becasue you can;t just have one person on the board....

The old story about the naming is that JQ was told that it would be a 'very good idea' if he suggested the stadium were named after JM, and when he did so there was the traditional 5 seconds of refusal before it was all agreed.

Although I'm not at all bothered about the name - he's probably one of the most significant people in the history of the club after all. Much better than calling it the Kyocera Mita Bowl or something.

Yeah. I wonder how many Real fans are pissed off about playing at the Santiago Bernabéu stadium? There's another ground with no class...