A bit worrying

1418 posts
Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 16 Aug 2007 12:11

Schards#2 If you choose not to see them, there's no point in explaining them again.

Sorry, I just had to laugh out loud at that !!!!!

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 16 Aug 2007 12:15

Schards#2
In the meantime, I would bet than many home games will not sell out this season and virtually no away allocation will sell out.

"

Do you mean no away allocation at the Mad Stad will sell out ?
In which case you would lose your bet.

If you mean Reading fans will not sell out their allocation for away games you may be right although what relevance it has in the debate around whether we should expand our ground is very hard to see. 3000 away tickets are sold to those who already go to every home game , not the 'new' or less committed fans that an expanded stadium would be catering for.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 16 Aug 2007 12:22

Interesting debate.

My take on it would be as follows.

Season ticket take up will fall as ground capacity increases. I expect that we could fill the 38K for the big matches on accessible dates. I equally expect that our support could be around the 15K mark for a meaningless home game against Wigan once we expand the capcity to 38K as people give up on season tickets and pick and choose matches. This all assumes Premiership football

When we were pottering along in the Championship our ST take up was iirc correctly about 9-10K. lets say that Premiership football continues then i think we'd probably fall from the 18K STHs to nearer 12-13K as plenty of people want to go to the majority of games but not all of them.
Up until it became clear that without a ST it would be difficult to see Reading I fell into that category.

I think there are two unknowns that needs to be factored in.

Firstly familiarity. There are 7,000-8,000 people who have never been season ticket holders but will have gone to every home game for the last two and a half years. I think the lack of take up for away tickets and indeed the slowing on demand for season tickets is becuase they are being overloaded with footy. i wonder if people are free to pick and choose then the slow decline we're seeing would be halted

The second is the kids factor. Suddenly its ok to be a reading supporter if you're a kid - and once you get past 9/10 years old then you're stuck with that team forever. Hopefully by increasing the number of seats (and offering kid for a quid offers etc) more kids will come along and get hooked

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Aug 2007 12:47

Schards#2
Woodcote Royal
Schards#2
Behindu
Royal Lady my point is, if there's another 10,000+ people desperate to see us play, I'm surprised they didn't try to buy a ticket much earlier, to secure their seat.

Where did the idea that there are 10,000 people desperate to see us come from ?

The plan is to expand by 6000 to start with.
That would allow an extra 2000 away fans.
So phase 1 would give about 4000 home tickets.
They don;t need to be sold to people 'desperate' to see us play, but it would give more casual fans the chance to come and the club the chance to be more creative.
We are selling out the 24,000 seats every week, and have done for well over a season now.
What do you need as evidence that the capacity can be expanded to allow more people to come ?

Evidence that week in week out sell outs of the existing capacity will be more than a first premiership season phenomenon.

Tonight's attendance was larger than we had for our first home game of last season .

Applying your own shortsighted yardstick, surely this means demand is on the increase and that a new "phenomenon" is upon us :?

I've tried to be polite here but you really are a complete w@nker Woodcote.

1. There were plenty of empty seats yesterday. I presume the attendance announced includes season ticket holders who didn't turn up

2. The home tickets were sold out for the first game of last season

3. Chelsea is one of, if not THE biggest game of the season and tickets were still available a couple of days before the game. The Middlesborough game sold out long before

4. I believe I said we need evidence of sell outs "Week on week". We have had one game so far and the evidence from that is demand has fallen.

Have a day off from being the blinkered tosser you truely are and wait until you have some genuine evidence to support your assertions before replying again on this thread.

Twat

Nice one, Schards (one pram suffering a fall in demand for it's toys :P )

Schards#2
Have a day off from being the blinkered tosser you truely are and wait until you have some genuine evidence to support your assertions before replying again on this thread.

:P

You are the one who has been spouting utter nonsense about demand when the stadium continues to fill for every league game.

WHEN we fail to sell a significant number of tickets (like more than a few hundred) this MIGHT be seen as a drop in demand

Surely you are the one who should, in order to make your self look less of an idiot than is currently the case, shut up until you have ANY real evidence that demand is falling AND, most importantly, that there's any sign that we will fail regularly to sellout our current capacity and/or sell more seats when the ground has been expanded.

It's not about your bogus claims of falling demand but whether we will sell more seats with a bigger stadium AND have sufficient scope to attract new fans, which is clearly not the case as things stand

This is why I applied your ridiculous assertions to last nights attendance.

Back in the real world, The Mad Stad was soldout last night, as was the case for our first home match last season, not to mention the corresponding fixture of the last campaign.

In fact, back in the real world, the vast majority of home league matches have sold our for the last season and a half with fluctuations amounting to no more than a few hundred and generally attributable to the number of away fans etc.

So, back in the real world, the Chairman and his merry band of "blinkered tossers" feel that existing demand dictates that expansion is required.

Meanwhile, one selfish East Stand STH, who probably still believes the sun shines out of Nicky Forster's backside, begs to differ..........................

But keep posting, Schards, things could be quiet on the work front for the next few weeks and this is becoming more entertaining with every passing sellout :P
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 16 Aug 2007 12:51, edited 1 time in total.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 16 Aug 2007 12:49

Behindu
Schards#2
In the meantime, I would bet than many home games will not sell out this season and virtually no away allocation will sell out.

"

If you mean Reading fans will not sell out their allocation for away games you may be right although what relevance it has in the debate around whether we should expand our ground is very hard to see. 3000 away tickets are sold to those who already go to every home game , not the 'new' or less committed fans that an expanded stadium would be catering for.

Quite obviously, i'm referring to the allocation Reading fans receive for Reading away games.

There will not sell as rapidly as they did last year because demand for Reading football tickets from Reading fans has, on all available evidence, fallen from last year.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 16 Aug 2007 12:56

Woodcote Royal
Schards#2
Woodcote Royal
Schards#2
Behindu
Royal Lady my point is, if there's another 10,000+ people desperate to see us play, I'm surprised they didn't try to buy a ticket much earlier, to secure their seat.

Where did the idea that there are 10,000 people desperate to see us come from ?

The plan is to expand by 6000 to start with.
That would allow an extra 2000 away fans.
So phase 1 would give about 4000 home tickets.
They don;t need to be sold to people 'desperate' to see us play, but it would give more casual fans the chance to come and the club the chance to be more creative.
We are selling out the 24,000 seats every week, and have done for well over a season now.
What do you need as evidence that the capacity can be expanded to allow more people to come ?

Evidence that week in week out sell outs of the existing capacity will be more than a first premiership season phenomenon.

Tonight's attendance was larger than we had for our first home game of last season .

Applying your own shortsighted yardstick, surely this means demand is on the increase and that a new "phenomenon" is upon us :?

I've tried to be polite here but you really are a complete w@nker Woodcote.

1. There were plenty of empty seats yesterday. I presume the attendance announced includes season ticket holders who didn't turn up

2. The home tickets were sold out for the first game of last season

3. Chelsea is one of, if not THE biggest game of the season and tickets were still available a couple of days before the game. The Middlesborough game sold out long before

4. I believe I said we need evidence of sell outs "Week on week". We have had one game so far and the evidence from that is demand has fallen.

Twat

Nice one, Schards (one pram suffering a fall in demand for it's toys :P )

Schards#2

You are the one who has been spouting utter nonsense about demand when the stadium continues to fill for every league game.

WHEN we fail to sell a significant number of tickets (like more than a few hundred) this MIGHT be seen as a drop in demand

Surely you are the one who should, in order to make your self look less of an idiot than is currently the case, shut up until you have ANY real evidence that demand is falling AND, most importantly, that there's any sign that we will fail regularly to sellout our current capacity and/or sell more seats when the ground has been expanded.

It's not about your bogus claims of falling demand but whether we will sell more seats with a bigger stadium AND have sufficient scope to attract new fans, which is clearly not the case as things stand

This is why I applied your ridiculous assertions to last nights attendance.

Back in the real world, The Mad Stad was soldout last night, as was the case for our first home match last season, not to mention the corresponding fixture of the last campaign.

In fact, back in the real world, the vast majority of home league matches have sold our for the last season and a half with fluctuations amounting to no more than a few hundred and generally attributable to the number of away fans etc.

So, back in the real world, the Chairman and his merry band of "blinkered tossers" feel that existing demand dictates that expansion is required.

Meanwhile, one selfish East Stand STH, who probably still believes the sun shines out of Nicky Forster's backside, begs to differ..........................

But keep posting, Schards, things could be quiet on the work front for the next few weeks and this is becoming more entertaining with every passing sellout :P

Lets try an example:

Game one: Capacity is 24,000. 9,999,999,999,999,999,999 people try and get tickets. The crowd is 24,000

Game two: Capacity is 24,000, 24,001 people try to get tickets. The crowd is 24,000.

Question: Was the demand for tickets a) higher for game one :P b) higher for game two :P or c) the same for both games

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Aug 2007 13:03

I believe they're working to a slightly different model in the boardroom.

"Oh fcuk, we don't have enough seats! It's time to expand"

Blinkered tossers :evil:

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 16 Aug 2007 13:07

Game three the people that were on holiday for game two come back and want tickets again.

What is it that you are scared of in RFC expanding the stadium Schards? There is no reason that it would affect you or cost you if we get relegated again, it will increase the revenue flow sooner if it is done sooner, increases our chances of attracting new and better players.

Almost everyone on this thread thinks it should be done in two stages, adding just 6000 seats in the first season, which if bigger clubs get all the south stand will only add about 3000/3500 for home fans, hardly dramatic.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 16 Aug 2007 13:08

we took 40k to Wembley twice I believe and about the same to Cardiff to see little old Walsall, the fans are there, the stadium is not.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Aug 2007 13:18

Schards#2
Behindu
Schards#2

"

Quite obviously, i'm referring to the allocation Reading fans receive for Reading away games.

There will not sell as rapidly as they did last year because demand for Reading football tickets from Reading fans has, on all available evidence, fallen from last year.

Despite a bigger crowd that 12 months ago and against the same opponents, it has not.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 16 Aug 2007 13:20

but a few went on general sale so it must have.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Aug 2007 13:53

Schards#2 Lets try an example:

Game one: Capacity is 24,000. 9,999,999,999,999,999,999 people try and get tickets. The crowd is 24,000

Game two: Capacity is 24,000, 24,001 people try to get tickets. The crowd is 24,000.

Question: Was the demand for tickets a) higher for game one :P b) higher for game two :P or c) the same for both games

As it stands it's impossible to say. We have no information regarding the number of people wanting and trying to get tickets for the two games.

The time they sell in doesn't prove anything. It may indicate it, or it may just indicate a perception amongst the number wanting tickets of how quickly the tickets will sell out.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 16 Aug 2007 14:05

Hoop Blah
Schards#2 Lets try an example:

As it stands it's impossible to say.

This is a hypothetical example.

With all due respect, if your answer is that it's impossible to say, you are a moron.

Any chance of an answer from the bitter, twisted, blinkered, sidwell hating Woodcote Royal or was the question to difficult for him.

Oh, and :P

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 16 Aug 2007 14:07

Stranded
Schards#2
Behindu
Schards#2

"

Despite a bigger crowd that 12 months ago and against the same opponents, it has not.

Are you seriously suggesting Reading didn't sell all available tickets 12 months ago? If you are not, your point is completely irrelevent.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Aug 2007 14:12

Schards#2 With all due respect, if your answer is that it's impossible to say, you are a moron.

It's impossible to state demand as if it's a fact as you seem to happy to do.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 16 Aug 2007 14:14

I'm beginning to think Frimley has taken control of Schard's keyboard.

The point that we ought to think carefully about the expansion is a fair and reasonable one.

The 'evidence' being concocted to back the point up is a big up destined to fail

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 16 Aug 2007 14:23

Behindu I'm beginning to think Frimley has taken control of Schard's keyboard. Why?

The point that we ought to think carefully about the expansion is a fair and reasonable one. Yes it is
The 'evidence' being concocted to back the point up is a big up destined to fail
No it isn't. There has been less demand for tickets both home and away than last year. It is, however, early in the season and it is possible this may change. Time will tell.

What is clear is that when people won't accept the fact that 9,999,999,999,999 people going after 24,000 tickets represents a greater demand than 24,001 people going after 24,000, it's time to take a step back and wonder whether it's worth bothering to continue the discussion.

Skyline

by Skyline » 16 Aug 2007 14:24

It's hardly a discussion though, is it? You and RL are just posting up opinions about how the demand has gone, with bog all data to back it up, and everyone else is pointing out to you all the holes in your straw man.

I still haven't had any response to my point that if we've sold fewer season tickets this year than last, and yet yesterday's attendance was higher than the attendance for the equivalent fixture last year, meaning we must have sold more tickets to non-ST holders, how does that indicate that demand has dropped?

Maybe the reason the 'casuals' tickets took longer to sell out this time was because there were more of them?
Last edited by Skyline on 16 Aug 2007 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Aug 2007 14:26

Schards#2
Behindu I'm beginning to think Frimley has taken control of Schard's keyboard. Why?

The point that we ought to think carefully about the expansion is a fair and reasonable one. Yes it is
No it isn't. There has been less demand for tickets both home and away than last year. It is, however, early in the season and it is possible this may change. Time will tell.

What is clear is that when people won't accept the fact that 9,999,999,999,999 people going after 24,000 tickets represents a greater demand than 24,001 people going after 24,000, it's time to take a step back and wonder whether it's worth bothering to continue the discussion.

Can you tell me how you can show that level of demand for the real scenario though as I'm really not interested in your hypothetical games.

royal tee

by royal tee » 16 Aug 2007 14:31

This is fun.

Please carry on as it's always a good laugh watching a Tory make a prat of themselves.

1418 posts