Safe-Standing Areas

Should safe-standing areas be allowed at Tier 1 and 2 football clubs?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 132
biscuitman

by biscuitman » 11 Jan 2008 13:49

You havent got internet access....but your on here..

Hahnemann's Hairdresser

by Hahnemann's Hairdresser » 11 Jan 2008 13:58

http://physos.net/~physos/images/blog_images/bvb09_2.jpg

The third one is the best picture but it's huge so I've done it as a link rather than put it on here.

I'm not 100% sure how it all works but doens't Dortmunds stadium have terraces with seats that can be put in place for when they are required (such as World cup or European games)?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Jan 2008 14:10

T.R.O.L.I. I see the current poll stands at 89% in favour - no doubt pauLOLtheroyaLOL will soon teel us that 89% does not mean most people surveyed would prefer to stand at football...

T.R.O.L.I. - Congratulations in making yourself look a right numpty.

Your statement is totally different to the question asked in the poll. Try again!! :lol:

I stand by my original arguements - and i am fairly confident that in my lifetime Madjeski Stadium will not be converted to allow for standing.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 11 Jan 2008 14:42

paultheroyal I stand by my original arguements - and i am fairly confident that in my lifetime Madjeski Stadium will not be converted to allow for standing.

Including your original argument that people sitting in seats in one part of the Reading crowd at White Hart Lane proved that they wouldn't want to stand if terracing was provided?
Last edited by Baines on 11 Jan 2008 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 11 Jan 2008 14:54

I'm starting to think that paultheroyal and Woodcote Royal are related :?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 11 Jan 2008 15:51

The sooner we get standing areas back we can once again have punch ups and try to take the ends of other teams.

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 11 Jan 2008 16:21

Norfolk Royal The sooner we get standing areas back we can once again have punch ups and try to take the ends of other teams.

Shhhhh....

don't let the cat out the bag yet...

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 11 Jan 2008 16:28

Hahnemann's Hairdresser

The third one is the best picture but it's huge so I've done it as a link rather than put it on here.

I'm not 100% sure how it all works but doens't Dortmunds stadium have terraces with seats that can be put in place for when they are required (such as World cup or European games)?

Looks a quite superb football stadium. Can imagine the atmosphere would be immense. 8)

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 11 Jan 2008 17:54

paultheroyal
T.R.O.L.I. I see the current poll stands at 89% in favour - no doubt pauLOLtheroyaLOL will soon teel us that 89% does not mean most people surveyed would prefer to stand at football...

Your statement is totally different to the question asked in the poll. Try again!! :lol:

I stand by my original arguements - and i am fairly confident that in my lifetime Madjeski Stadium will not be converted to allow for standing.

That is 89% of the people who have bothered to respond to yet another pointless survey. Not exactly a relevant, random sample is it?

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 11 Jan 2008 21:05

West Stand Man
paultheroyal

That is 89% of the people who have bothered to respond to yet another pointless survey. Not exactly a relevant, random sample is it?

where have you been? where were you on the standing at spurs thread?

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 11 Jan 2008 21:32

ALOL

its all coming out

standing isnt as popular as thought

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 11 Jan 2008 21:42

willz_royal ALOL

its all coming out

:?:

Skin
Hob Nob Regular

by Skin » 11 Jan 2008 21:43

willz_royal ALOL

its all coming out

mong

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Jan 2008 23:35

West Stand Man
paultheroyal

Oh it is though - HNA leaders and their disciples says so!!

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 12 Jan 2008 15:38

Baines
paultheroyal I stand by my original arguements - and i am fairly confident that in my lifetime Madjeski Stadium will not be converted to allow for standing.

Including your original argument that people sitting in seats in one part of the Reading crowd at White Hart Lane proved that they wouldn't want to stand if terracing was provided?

Q5. If there was a ‘safe-standing’ area in your ground how often would you buy a standing ticket IF going to a match?
All the time 40%
More often than not 23%

Occasionally 17%
Never 17%
Don’t know 3%

Volvicanus
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Volvicanus » 12 Jan 2008 17:22

Hahnemann's Hairdresser

Maybe it's just me - but that second picture looks dangerous to me. Too many people in a particular sized space.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular

by Skin » 12 Jan 2008 17:38

paultheroyal
West Stand Man
paultheroyal

Paul with that type of attitude and your narrow minded stance on this issue you are losing the argument. There's is a strong case for some sort of standing, generally at football matches, on what sort of scale I do not know, but more to the point neither do you. Yet you would have us believe you are some sort of authority on this issue and we should all accept what you say and be done with it. How, you still fail to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, given the opportunity to stand, a decent proportion of us would, is beyond me.
Sit down, shut up, or stand up for the cause.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 12 Jan 2008 18:21

Skin
paultheroyal
West Stand Man
paultheroyal

That is 89% of the people who have bothered to respond to yet another pointless survey. Not exactly a relevant, random sample is it

?

Paul with that type of attitude and your narrow minded stance on this issue you are losing the argument. There's is a strong case for some sort of standing, generally at football matches, on what sort of scale I do not know, but more to the point neither do you. Yet you would have us believe you are some sort of authority on this issue and we should all accept what you say and be done with it. How, you still fail to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, given the opportunity to stand, a decent proportion of us would, is beyond me.
Sit down, shut up, or stand up for the cause.

er ... no. Neither he nor I have made any suggestion that we have a view on standing - simply that this is an invalid poll. That is because it is not a valid random sample. If you went along Death Row and asked all the prisoners if they favoured banning the death penalty you'd get a pretty one sided response. If you go on HNA and ask for any thoughts on standing you get a narrow response too.

There is undoubtedly a core of opinion in favour of standing areas, but it appears to be an overall minority of those who actually go to games. If you localise that question to certain areas of any stadium you'll get a majority view in favour of standing (anecdotally that seems to be young single males as a general rule). Football has changed since the introduction of all seater stadiums; you now get more families going - and clubs seem to like that (for a start they need less policing). They make up such a large part of any crowd these days that they dominate the overall vote.

It is a pointless vote/poll because the authorities have made it clear that they are not interested at the moment. Richard Scudamore said as much on the radio today; 'not on my watch will we return to any standing areas at English stadiums'. Given his post I reckon that a definite no.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 12 Jan 2008 20:40

I won't quote the whole of your message, I'll just take issue with or seek clarification on a couple of the points made.

This poll is open to anyone on Hobnob, like all others are - I don't know just how representative the user base is, but I'm pretty sure it's not just from one part of the ground or from one type of supporters - we do have quite a broad church on here.

So unless you can give me a reason why Hobnob users aren't representative of Reading football supporters in general I'd say any poll on here is a pretty good indicator of their opinion. I don't think any internet survey can be properly scientific, but I do think this gives an overall non-scientific snapshot of views - without ever producing any figures that could ever be quoted in a scientific or authoritative way.

As to what the survey is about, as mentioned a few times it's to ask how many people see the value in standing areas - not if people want to stand themselves.

I actually think - from all the research that I've seen and all the reports and other documents I have - that I can make the below statements with a very high degree of confidence :

1. A significant minority of football supporters would like to have the opportunity to stand at matches in Tiers 1 and 2. I estimate this figures to be somewhere between 25% and 45% - depending on the club involved and their history and culture.

2. Despite the length of time since the Taylor Report and despite all the the efforts of the FLA, this demand to stand at matches in Tiers 1 and 2 shows no sign of decreasing.

3. An overwhelming majority of football supporters - whether they wish to stand themselves of not - would support the introduction of safe-standing areas to allow those who do wish to stand to do so without causing problems for those who don't want to or can't.

Finally, your last paragraph states "It is a pointless vote/poll because the authorities have made it clear that they are not interested at the moment."
What a pity Nelson Mandela or Gandhi didn't realise that - it would have saved them a whole lot of trouble...... The fact is that things can be changed, politically - governments change, ministers change, the political process does work - slowly, but it does work, and the opinion of politicians can be changed if you give them enough persuasive evidence. By necessity change needs to happen in stages , but it can be done, and I know for a fact that those involved in the campaign for safe standing are a group of highly committed, very politically skilled and extremely tenacious operators.

As an example of the fact that long-time opponents can be persuaded, I give you this : http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/2020/2020094/mp_backs_calls_for_standing_areas_at_matches

Andy M

by Andy M » 13 Jan 2008 11:27

Would this be the same Scudamore who, in minutes on the FLA website, stated that he saw no problem with supporters, in small areas, standing in front of seats? Could it be that publically he is just toeing the party line?

This survey echoes the results of others seen on many websites comparable to Hob Nob. Time after time after time polls, crude or scientific, will show more fans in favour of supporters having the choice as to whether they sit or stand, than not.