Catering at the Madejski

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 18 Jan 2008 16:35

Dirk Gently
North Somerset Royal Electronic payment card machines have been installed in the Upper West concourse. Last time I looked they were not operational but a steward told me that the idea is to do away with cash payment for refreshments. The machines dispense or top up cards in £5 & £10 units. Can you confirm this and explain the thinking behind it and when it is to start?

Last I hear this was to be trialled in the Upper West. As everyone already has a member card there's no need to issue cards, so the idea is that your member card will double as your payment card - like Oyster.

Yes loading cash up can be done on site at the machines, but I also think it can be done via the ticketing website - the idea is you add 20 or 30 quid to last you a run of matches, rather than load up 3.50 or whatever for a single match.

It's a very similar system to that used in countless schools, colleges and company canteens.

I have it at my sixth form.It is faster then cash but its frustrating having to top up your card

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 18 Jan 2008 16:54

The idea about the zigzag queue should be implemented now.

I still think the Fosters girls are a good idea but they're patchy. Some days there's loads and, on Tuesday, none.

Gas in the lager as well, please.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 18 Jan 2008 16:57

papereyes The idea about the zigzag queue should be implemented now.

I agree but I don't think it can be done.

With permanent barriers in place to control the "zig-zag" then there wouldn't be enough concourse width for evacuations etc.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Jan 2008 17:02

I should like to see a range of sandwiches and crisps. Burgers sold inside would be good too. And chips. A bigger fridge to keep the wine in would be welcome. Mine's nearly always warm. Though I'm probably the only person in the stadium who drinks the white wine anyway. :roll:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 18 Jan 2008 17:05

Chips and burgers can't be done until there's stadium expansion and a redesign of where everything is.

Health & Safety rules say you need an external ventilation system for the fumes if you're frying or grilling, and the catering outlets aren't on an outside wall so it can't be done at the moment - the expansion plans include moving the kiosks to face the outside wall so people can have chips.

Now is there demand for the expansion in your household?

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 18 Jan 2008 17:06

papereyes Gas in the lager as well, please.

Alcohol wouldn't go amiss neither.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 18 Jan 2008 17:07

Royal Lady Though I'm probably the only person in the stadium who drinks the white wine anyway. :roll:

:oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Jan 2008 17:08

Dirk Gently Chips and burgers can't be done until there's stadium expansion and a redesign of where everything is.

Health & Safety rules say you need an external ventilation system for the fumes if you're frying or grilling, and the catering outlets aren't on an outside wall so it can't be done at the moment - the expansion plans include moving the kiosks to face the outside wall so people can have chips.

Are you sure that the catering outlets in East Stand aren't on an outside wall? Crikey, I'm not that desperate for a sarnie or chips. :roll:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Jan 2008 20:29

Dirk Gently Chips and burgers can't be done until there's stadium expansion and a redesign of where everything is.

There are many parts of the stadium that aren't on an outside wall, yet I suspect at least some of them have external ventilation systems. Have they not heard of ducting and fans?!!

Surprised to here the East Stand catering outlets aren't on an outside wall though! Perhaps there's a false wall with a hidden vault between that and the outside wall where the transfer kitty is stashed!

Dirk Gently
North Somerset Royal Electronic payment card machines have been installed in the Upper West concourse. Last time I looked they were not operational but a steward told me that the idea is to do away with cash payment for refreshments. The machines dispense or top up cards in £5 & £10 units. Can you confirm this and explain the thinking behind it and when it is to start?

Last I hear this was to be trialled in the Upper West. As everyone already has a member card there's no need to issue cards, so the idea is that your member card will double as your payment card - like Oyster.

Yes loading cash up can be done on site at the machines, but I also think it can be done via the ticketing website - the idea is you add 20 or 30 quid to last you a run of matches, rather than load up 3.50 or whatever for a single match.

It's a very similar system to that used in countless schools, colleges and company canteens.

Last time I was involved in buying door entry and vending smart card systems the two worked with different standards and types of chips (talking electronic rather than carbohydrates now!). IIRC the cashless vending tends to be operated with a Mifare chip and your virtual cash is held on the chip itself. In contrast door/turnstile entry systems tend to use the chip just to identify the card/cardholder and all the other data is held on a database. I don't think our membership cards have two chips in them but maybe the door entry now also works off the Mifare chip.

If, on the other hand, the cashless vending is going to work off a door entry system set up, with the data relating to your virtual cash being held on a data base at the club rather than on the chip in your card, wouldn't you be a little bit worried about the club losing your cash?!!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 Jan 2008 21:44

The catering staff currently struggle to add up prices and issue change correctly but at least it's physical money so you can check it there and then...... For those reasons I would not want to switch to an electronic method for fear of not knowing what has actually been charged to my card (although in all probability the staff will screw up and not charge me a penny).

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 19 Jan 2008 10:23

Forbury Lion The catering staff currently struggle to add up prices and issue change correctly but at least it's physical money so you can check it there and then...... For those reasons I would not want to switch to an electronic method for fear of not knowing what has actually been charged to my card (although in all probability the staff will screw up and not charge me a penny).

The system will (or at least should be able to) display balance on your card before the sale, cost of items bought and balance left on your card after purchase has been made. If you are worried, you should also be able to put your card in one of the cash loaders and get a reading of the cash left on your card. In the event of a dispute the card can be interrogated to show all recent transactions.

In the right environments it's a pretty good system - I remain sceptical that 24,000 people in a couple of hours in a football stadium is the right environment, particularly given the previous failings/weaknesses in the systems we've seen introduced.

Incidentally, I haven't yet come across any evidence of people being able to hack the system and load non-existent cash onto their cards. However, I suspect doing so might be easier than printing off convincing looking ten pound notes!

amdocsroyal

by amdocsroyal » 19 Jan 2008 10:31

'Real' Cornish Pasties - not Ginsters type...

Samosa's

Bacon Rolls

Friday's Child

by Friday's Child » 19 Jan 2008 11:52

Anything that removes the need for the current "staff" (word used very loosely) is a good thing IMO.

Signs depicting nutritional information for all foods and beverages would be good, if not just for the benefit of those looking to manage their own health/diet, but also to prove exactly what the content of the beer/pies is.

Vending machines that take cards or cash (inc. notes) that dispense beer / soft drinks would be a great step forward. There is more than enough space.

Things "local" would be good if not too expensive. You can get specialities around UK grounds, but ours is less than satisfactory. Courage is good, but also some local ales (Wetherspoons do it cheap each) would be good to encourage local produce.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 19 Jan 2008 18:42

amdocsroyal 'Real' Cornish Pasties - not Ginsters type...

Samosa's

Bacon Rolls

Could buy in proper/authentic samosas, and other Indian snacks from one of the local sweetmarts/caterers (I assume there are some in Reading, otherwise there are plenty just up the M4 in Southall), which would sell really well. They are also comparitively cheap although no doubt Compass would use that opportunity to increase profits even further rather than pass the benefit onto supporters.

Spaced Invader

by Spaced Invader » 19 Jan 2008 19:25

mx Could the club be encouraged to speak to a couple of local breweries (Lodden/West Berks eg) about them supplying a couple of barrels of proper beer to the North Stand?

Or to Sweenies about taking over the pie contract?

Agreed

Darren Caskey's Dietician
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Darren Caskey's Dietician » 19 Jan 2008 19:44

I'm not so concerned about the range, I think it is ok for a football ground, but the value for money is absolutely shocking. Its on a par with the Reading Festival for getting ripped off, but at least at the festival you can get stuff like mexican food, which is decent portions!

With the exception of the London clubs, RFC has the worst value I've seen to date.

They could learn a thing or two from Fulham though - proper sausages instead of the crap rollovers (did anyone else see Jamies show this week? I for one will never touch a rollover again!), much better coffees and hot chocolates, and krispy kreme doughnuts.

Bring back the giant yorkies.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 19 Jan 2008 20:46

With the access outside the groudn due to the smoking ban, surely a even wider ranger of vendors outside the ground would be a superb idea? I realise they are not club run... but still I much prefer getting a burger, hot dog or chips in the less crampt surroundings outside.

Things like curry, noodles etc.. As someone already mentioned Reading Festival, take a leaf out of their book.

But really, if you eat before you get to the game there should be no need for this :wink:

The bigger problem is the drinks situation, both alchoholic and soft drinks too. Surely easier access for a bottle of water on a hot day is essential? Vending machines outside and inside the ground, sell water bottles for £1. Would be fast, and profitable.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 19 Jan 2008 23:04

today i had the best one yet

bovril and a kit kat

£7.70 it says on the till

66DD

Re: Catering at the Madejski

by 66DD » 20 Jan 2008 10:01

Something vegetarian would be a good idea.

Scrooge McDuck

Re: Catering at the Madejski

by Scrooge McDuck » 20 Jan 2008 10:32

A couple of the suggestions above work in Australian sports grounds so thought I'd repeat them...

1. The 4/6 pint at a time machines (also used at Millennium Stadium) - ensures your pint is freshly pulled but doesn't take all day to get it

2. Domino's pizza - in Australia they have guys walking round the stands selling slices of fresh pizza - bloody brilliant!