Yank Coming to the MadStad

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MarylandRoyal

Yank Coming to the MadStad

by MarylandRoyal » 27 Jun 2008 14:21

Hi All,

I've been a Royals fan since following Bobby Convey from my local side (DC Utd) to Reading and have since followed the Royals.

Me and some friends are planning a vacation to London for a bit, then Spain. I am determined to get to the MadStad for a game in March/April. Looks like my choices are Ipswich, Sheff Utd and Barnsley ... opinions on which of those I should get to? I'm doing most of the planning for our vacation so I'll be planning the whole thing around which game I can get too.

A few questions...
How easy is it to get tickets for a game (we'll need 3)?
We'll be training from London, is it easy to get the stadium from the train station?
Places to drink?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Maryland Royal

Royalshow

Re: Yank Coming to the MadStad

by Royalshow » 27 Jun 2008 14:43

Hi there MarylandRoyal.

Although we don't know what the seasons holds for us at this point,looking ahead i would recommend coming to the Sheffield United game.In the past these have always been eventful though sadly Colin oxf*rd has moved on .From London it's pretty easy.There are direct trains to Reading that run non stop and take about half an hour.Once in the town centre you can hop on a football special bus to the ground,take a cab or theoretically change trains to Basingstoke and get off at Reading Greenpark (not open yet) with a only a 15 minute walk to the ground.
Last edited by Royalshow on 27 Jun 2008 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 27 Jun 2008 14:45

Tickets may or may no tbe an issue - depends how well we are doing.
I'd advise you make contact with the US branch of STAR though as they have a process for getting hold of tickets.

In terms of which game I'd forget Barnsley and go for one of the others. Sheff Utd is always a good, hard fought game with a bit of edge to it (maybe les so now Colin has gone). Ipswich play good football and may be more of a 'purist' game. Of course much will depend on what sort of team we end up with.

Travel shoul dbe fine - 25 mins on the train out of London then buses to the stadium from right outside the station. Others will advise on drinking options but definitely have a couple of beers in town rather than head staright out to the ground ! May be worth checking out th epubs that run buses to the ground, you'll probably get to meet up with some locals for a beer.

Enjoy the trip, I hope you get to see a game of relevance to the promotion race !!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 27 Jun 2008 16:28

E-mail exiles@star-reading.org for advice on this - I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.
Last edited by Dirk Gently on 30 Jun 2008 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

MarylandRoyal

by MarylandRoyal » 27 Jun 2008 18:43

Thanks for all the help! I'll definitely get in touch with the exiles.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 27 Jun 2008 19:00

You sound plastic to me tbh. One game! :wink:

MarylandRoyal

by MarylandRoyal » 27 Jun 2008 19:27

Haha, wish I could afford to fly across the pond for everygame! Now if your willing to sponsor that... :D

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 28 Jun 2008 12:25

Don't forget to keep an eye on the tv schedules. Would be a real bummer if you made all the arrangements only for Sky to decide to move the game.

eddiegrundy

by eddiegrundy » 30 Jun 2008 19:35

Well done DC on stuffing the Galaxy on Sunday, Becks et al :D

When my colleagues say the train takes only 25 minutes to Reading, they mean the one from London Paddington, not the one from London Waterloo which takes more like an hour. The shuttle buses to the stadium leave from right outside Reading Station.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 01 Jul 2008 12:59

Ole Ole Ole Ole, Bobby Convey! Sorry no elp just haven't sung that in a while! Wish i had though

Also a USA USA USA for Marcus!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jul 2008 15:07

There's a pub at the station, but thats really for away fans so I wouldn't recommend drinking there.

Not sure where the watering holes before matches are these days I normally turn up in time for a quick one in the ground and thats it.

Barnsley will be easy to get tickets for, Ipswich less so. Sheff Utd will be the hardest but probably the most worth seeing. Mind you, with help from STARexiles you should be able to get a ticket for any of the games unless we're flying.

I recommend East or North stands as well.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 07 Jul 2008 20:19

If you want a pre-game pint then might I suggest The Bugle in Friar Street.

You'll have some stories to tell when you get home at the least.

catfork

by catfork » 09 Jul 2008 14:05

Reading is a bit of a dump all things considered

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 14 Jul 2008 17:53

catfork Reading is a bit of a dump all things considered

:lol:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Jul 2008 16:04

How easy is it to get tickets for a game (we'll need 3)? - Depends how we're doing, A letter to Bobby Convey may help as I'm sure he will be able to sort you out with some (not free mind you)
We'll be training from London, is it easy to get the stadium from the train station? - Yes, 30 mins train and buses run direct to the stadium
Places to drink? Not really

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1