Madejski: Get up so I can sell up

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Madejski: Get up so I can sell up

by brendywendy » 09 Jul 2008 11:53

im not sure that 25kpw is that out dated in champ terms is it?
its certainly within our own financial restraints though so regardless of other peoples wages it is correct

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 09 Jul 2008 11:55

brendywendy im not sure that 25kpw is that out dated in champ terms is it?
its certainly within our own financial restraints though so regardless of other peoples wages it is correct

Does anyone have a list of the earners at RFC? That would be an interesting read.

Doyle and Hunt are the highest earners on 25 grand a week right?

philM

by philM » 09 Jul 2008 11:57

Zammo Back page of today's EP.

LOL if he thinks we are going straight up. Actually LOL at anyone who thinks that.

If nobody thinks we'll go back up (players/mgmt/fans) then we haven't a hope in hell of actually doing it.

Believing it's possible is the only first step worth taking. Then you can build the team and set some strategies.

Personally I think it's unlikely, but certainly possible.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 11:59

Archie's penalty
brendywendy im not sure that 25kpw is that out dated in champ terms is it?

Does anyone have a list of the earners at RFC? That would be an interesting read.

Doyle and Hunt are the highest earners on 25 grand a week right?

You'd hope they don;t. It's not the sort of info that is in the public domain and no reason for us to actually know what anyone gets paid.

Interesting to see (however) press reports recently that Richard Dunne(Man City player of the year for the last 4 seasons, experienced international at one of the larger clubs around) has signed a new deal for £45k / week which DOUBLES his previous salary.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 09 Jul 2008 12:01

Royalee
Vision I'll humour you today. Its all relative to resources really. Coppell is the best manager JM could employ because he will happily work within the constraints set by the chairman. He knows full well he's unlikely to find another manager with Coppell's pedigree in getting sides to punch well above their financial weight. Therefore as far as the man who employs him is concerned he is the best manager he could want.

And Madejski's informed you of this then has he?

Here's a question I've still never had answered by the HNA conspiracy brigade...

If Coppell didn't feel he had the resources available in order to take the club forward, WHY has he gone on record as saying that the chairman gives him his FULL backing financially and he enjoys an excellent relationship with him? Given his bargaining position with the fans and thus the board on the back of finishing 8th, Madejski would have had a riot on his hands if Coppell had informed the media that he wanted more funds in order to secure better players and wasn't being given them.

I've yet to have that question answered though and I'm sure you'll all continue to avoid answering it as it makes a complete mockery of your argument.

Interesting response although not to anything ive actually posted!

You ran off a list of managers and ridiculed JM's statement about him being the best manager in the league. I'm merely pointing out that those managers operate on a different financial planet to Coppell. Unless of course you think Coppell has the same resources as Fergie, Benitez, Ramos etc.

But to answer your question as you seem to have your knickers in quite a twist over it. Coppell didn't have enough resources to really take the club forward from the 8th position. Of course he had more money to spend than he used (I dont think thats ever been open to debate ) but as far as getting in the players to really replace Little and Sidwell with instant success which is what would have been required then i don't think he'd have been able to. Enough to keep us up? if spent wisely then maybe but look at the amount of money it cost the likes of West Ham, Tottenham and Newcastle for simple midtable mediocrity. We're not even remotely close to being in that league from a transfer perspective.

Oh and despite your little tantrum I don't view it as a conspiracy just the financial reality of our position in the overall scheme of things in the Premier League and although i'm disappointed with the way it turned out i don't really blame the chairman one little bit.

Hope this has addressed your issue but please feel free to come back with another irrelevant rant if you feel you're not getting the attention you deserve. In the meantime perhaps you could explain to me what Brown,Johnson and Ince have acheived as managers which sets them apart from Coppell. Of all the managers you names only Allardyce and Rednapp can be really even be remotely comparable in terms of the jobs they've done and the circumstances in which they did them.

Finally do you now see why from JM's perspective why he would think that Coppell was as good a manager as he could possibly want. This was afterall the point i was making.
Last edited by Vision on 09 Jul 2008 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 12:03

I wonder whether the fact that his peers twice voted him Manager of the Season in the last 3 seasons is any hint that he may be a decent manager ?

Have to laugh at some of the names listed as being superior to him by the way !

philM

by philM » 09 Jul 2008 12:04

Vision
Royalee
Vision I'll humour you today. Its all relative to resources really. Coppell is the best manager JM could employ because he will happily work within the constraints set by the chairman. He knows full well he's unlikely to find another manager with Coppell's pedigree in getting sides to punch well above their financial weight. Therefore as far as the man who employs him is concerned he is the best manager he could want.

And Madejski's informed you of this then has he?

Here's a question I've still never had answered by the HNA conspiracy brigade...

If Coppell didn't feel he had the resources available in order to take the club forward, WHY has he gone on record as saying that the chairman gives him his FULL backing financially and he enjoys an excellent relationship with him? Given his bargaining position with the fans and thus the board on the back of finishing 8th, Madejski would have had a riot on his hands if Coppell had informed the media that he wanted more funds in order to secure better players and wasn't being given them.

I've yet to have that question answered though and I'm sure you'll all continue to avoid answering it as it makes a complete mockery of your argument.

Coppell didn't have enough resources to really take the club forward from the 8th position.

Now where did you get that nugget from? Coppell never said that was the reason for a lack of signings..

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 09 Jul 2008 12:07

How much does he want for the club?

Not suggesting that I'm interested in purchasing, obviously.

philM

by philM » 09 Jul 2008 12:09

Rhys The Royal How much does he want for the club?

Not suggesting that I'm interested in purchasing, obviously.

I'd guess he had dreams of £100M

After 4 or 5 years in the Prem I reckon he might have got it.
Last edited by philM on 09 Jul 2008 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 09 Jul 2008 12:11

philM
Vision
Coppell didn't have enough resources to really take the club forward from the 8th position.

Now where did you get that nugget from? Coppell never said that was the reason for a lack of signings..

Those of us at the fans forum heard it straight from Coppell himself. He said he had money to spend but in order to get better players than we already had would have needed an amount of money that was not available - from memory he thought he needed at least £100million. Yes he had money but he felt the sort of players he wold afford would not better the squad.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 09 Jul 2008 12:11

philM
Vision
Royalee And Madejski's informed you of this then has he?

I don't see your point as i have never attributed that to Coppell anyway. I'm merely responding to the point Royalee made about Coppell not taking the club forward. We finished 8th and therefore to take us forward from that would have have required a pretty hefty investment way beyond what the club would have made available.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 09 Jul 2008 12:17

Royalee
Southbank Old Boy
Because it's a two way street.

Coppell is happy with a limited budget (limited in comparison to most of our Premiership rivals that is). Madejski made that available to him and so Coppell was happy that he had the full backing of his chairman. He still didnt actually go and spend it though

Another manager might've wanted a bigger budget in order to improve the squad. Coppell didn't.

It's one of the clubs weaknesses, and it's strength, that the manager isn't pressuring the board for more money. You could argue that a manager with a different outlook and different methods might've been knocking on the chairmans door demanding more money to avoid the squad drifting to relegation.

I find that hard to believe given Coppell's comments about the game now revolving around money, particularly at the top clubs. He'd have to be incredibly naive to think that you can survive in the Premiership on a low budget, which would worry me even more than he already does.

You're right it was naive. We didn't survive and Coppell has accepted he was at fault for it.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 09 Jul 2008 12:23

Roger the Rabbit Interesting to see (however) press reports recently that Richard Dunne(Man City player of the year for the last 4 seasons, experienced international at one of the larger clubs around) has signed a new deal for £45k / week which DOUBLES his previous salary.

There is a lot of rubbish banded about the money that you need to pay to get players.

Dunne's contract would obviously have been a bit of an old one and so his wages a bit behind what you might expect, but it just goes to show what your average Premiership player is available on if you sign them at the right time.

I seem to remember that when Carrick left Spurs his wages were only something like 13k a week.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 09 Jul 2008 12:54

Southbank Old Boy
Roger the Rabbit Interesting to see (however) press reports recently that Richard Dunne(Man City player of the year for the last 4 seasons, experienced international at one of the larger clubs around) has signed a new deal for £45k / week which DOUBLES his previous salary.

There is a lot of rubbish banded about the money that you need to pay to get players.

Dunne's contract would obviously have been a bit of an old one and so his wages a bit behind what you might expect, but it just goes to show what your average Premiership player is available on if you sign them at the right time.

I seem to remember that when Carrick left Spurs his wages were only something like 13k a week.

I recall someone saying that Flamini was only on 8k a week at Arsenal, not sure how accurate that was, but even so, it does appear that wages might not have been a big an issue as we may have thought.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 12:56

I don't think Arsenal wages are comparable as they have a special 'offshore' arrangement. I suspect 8k may be his UK taxable earnings....

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 09 Jul 2008 13:01

Roger the Rabbit I don't think Arsenal wages are comparable as they have a special 'offshore' arrangement. I suspect 8k may be his UK taxable earnings....

Gotcha :wink:

catfork

by catfork » 09 Jul 2008 14:08

I think there's alot of things we don't know about that would be surprising if we did know. Although once we knew them they wouldn't be a surprise anymore.

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 09 Jul 2008 15:46

Madejski is banging on about his 'incredible resolve' to get back in the Premiership, blah blah blah. Might be the time to stop taking Reading fans for complete idiots by making these vacuous, meaningless statements and to do something which shows his commitment to getting back in the Premiership. We could've survived last year by spending a few million, we could go up this year by spending a few million. Unfortunately I feel that another great opportunity will be dicked away, and statements like this aren't encouraging.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 15:50

earleyroyal We could've survived last year by spending a few million,.

Or we could have spent a few million and still gone down.

earleyroyal we could go up this year by spending a few million. .

Or we could spend next to nothing and get 106 points !

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 09 Jul 2008 16:10

Here's a proposition...

I'm half bladdered on Singha on holiday in Thailand but...

is it fantasy to think that the club I bl00dy love would not be appealing to a sensible 'brand' oriented overseas investor like .. Dubai International Capital?

We are a great club, relatively solvent, could build the brand properly in our own catchment area and internationally, have the right mix of international businesses locally, easy to Heathrow (easier than any London club arguably with the exception of Brentford), and would welcome a serious investor like DIC that has cash to splash and can see the medium term RoI...

Football is huge international business - we need an international investor NOW otherwise I fear another 135 years of mediocrity - but there's nothing wrong with Hartlepool away on a cold wet Saturday in February.

So, what do we want to be? The club I love and always will bobbing up and down between the fizzy pop and League 2 or the club we can be - built the right way, a desirable brand (once they get the monkeys running the marketing now out of the way), and a significant rising star - being what, say, Everton should always have been post '83....

If the concensus is for DIC I will make a call when I am sober in the morning.