New policy in Y26

297 posts
The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New policy in Y26

by The 17 Bus » 27 Nov 2008 17:29

That's a novel idea DG :wink:

Reading Til I Die
Location: Anywhere there's a cold pint with a voluptuous barmaid!

by Reading Til I Die » 27 Nov 2008 20:38

Dirk Gently
Reading Til I Die So....are we actually going to get an update from STAR regarding the meeting? Or have they been told not to say anything or post anything.

We were asked to post and message our thoughts/comments and the meeting took place last Saturday.

I appreciate that people have other things to do and this might not be a priority but what's the point in giving feedback to STAR when we don't even get an update??????? :evil:

I thought the meeting was held so that people who were passionately interested in the issue could talk directly to the club and hear for themselves the club's reasoning and arguments. If you're so passionately interested in this, how come you didn't go to the meeting? Then you would have heard things first hand.

Ermm...maybe it's because I have a young family and I couldn't get to the meeting. Are you saying that because I didn't attend the meeting I feel less passionately about the matter? And also that just because someone wasn't at a public meeting they shouldn't be informed of what happened?

Reading Til I Die

by Reading Til I Die » 27 Nov 2008 20:41

The 17 Bus That's a novel idea DG :wink:

Is it possible for you to get your nose any further up his arse?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 28 Nov 2008 07:35

Reading Til I Die

Yep, so a young family prevented you getting to the game an hour earlier to have your say, which you have put quite well onn this thread, yet that same young family did not stop you going to Cardiff midweek.

I don't recall this being announced as a public meeting at all, and as is usual after meetings with the club the info takes a while to come out, presumeably because they have to then discuss the discussions within the club with other people before they release details of the results.

Reading Til I Die

by Reading Til I Die » 28 Nov 2008 08:02

The 17 Bus
Reading Til I Die

Yep, so a young family prevented you getting to the game an hour earlier to have your say, which you have put quite well onn this thread, yet that same young family did not stop you going to Cardiff midweek.

I don't recall this being announced as a public meeting at all, and as is usual after meetings with the club the info takes a while to come out, presumeably because they have to then discuss the discussions within the club with other people before they release details of the results.

OK, point taken and I accept that.

However, regarding your other statement regarding my young family, all three of my sons play football on Saturday mornings so I very rarely manage to get to the game before 2.30pm-2.45pm depending on how much traffic there is and where I can park the family bus!

And yes, the young family DID stop me going to Cardiff as two of them have training on a Tuesday night.

I'm surprised you didn't know that already as you seem to know EVERYTHING! :roll:

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 28 Nov 2008 08:06

Actually i looked back at your posts, but did not open the back from the game one, or would have seen you were quoting, it appearded as you had attended, so I remove the point regarding Cardiff.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 28 Nov 2008 09:54

Reading Til I Die Is there an update due shortly following yesterday's meeting where the Y26 seating issue was on the agenda?

I hope that my excuse is at least as good as yours, I will be posting something soon but my other half went into hospital for as an outpatient for just Tuesday but has been kept in and to be honest HNA? and stewards are a long way down my list until he is out.

I can understand why people did not come to the meeting but it is slightly annoying to be told that all the time I give freely is not enough and that I should be instantly informing people who cannot organise themselves enough to come to the game less than 2 hours early.

Sorry for the rant but this is galling at the best of times, and this is not the best of times.

In brief Y26 has been freely used this season by people who do not have tickets for that area and this 'unreserved seating' idea is not going to be tolerated by the safety officer and the club, added to that there has been racial abuse of staff (stewards and catering staff) which has led to banning orders with more to come. I may be wrong but I think those that did bother to come to the meeting went away with a more sympathetic view of what is happening - they may not agree that it is the best way but they understand it. So DG is right, it would have been better if those who have a complaint had come to put it themselves to the people they criticise and hear their reasoning.

Work will intervene from now but I will try to write up the notes of the meeting this weekend, hospital visiting permitting.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 28 Nov 2008 10:20

So basically the rule breakers spoil it for others, abuse has happened, and folk like RTID lose out, harsh but is there another way?

I say yes, i have always liked the idea of an unreserved seating area, like the North used to be, but a lot smaller, i know they will lose 10 of sales for the area due to rules, y19 and B18 would be the two blocks i would suggest, no abusing away fans, but the chance to add to the atmosphere, though the drummer would need a hole in his drum!!

Reading Til I Die

by Reading Til I Die » 28 Nov 2008 11:21

This club is unbeleivable at times.

We are already seemed as somewhat of a joke by other fans in this division due to the atmosphere or lack of it that is generated by the home support (Y24/25/26 excluded). So they decide to shut off part of the gound that contributes to the atmosphere. Well done safety tosser!

As for the abuse of the catering staff......that obviously cannot be tolerated, but surely the abuse can and will occur all along the East Stand and not just in the part that serves Y26?

And it would help if the club employed catering staff that could take your money and give you your chocolate bar within 30 seconds. Rather than take your money, tell a "senior" member of the catering staff that you need a chocolate bar who then tells a "junior" member of the catering staff to get you a chocolate bar!! However, that's another matter altogether!

And as for the stewards getting abuse.......if they weren't such a bunch of jobsworths and actually HELPED fans rather than look for the first person to stand up so they can run up the aisle and tell them to sit down, they might not be abused as much. Again, that's another issue.

So Y26 remains shut and we get a reputation for a ground that's like a library! I think the fella with the microphone needs to change his pre-match speech......

"Back the boys and make some noise.............but not too much or we'll have to shut down another part of the ground"

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 28 Nov 2008 12:43

Whether or not we have a great atmosphere, or indeed whether we are perceived to by other fans, is not really the concern of the safety officer. And frankly, what else do you expect stewards in the main to be doing during a match other than "policing" the fans?

Reading Til I Die

by Reading Til I Die » 28 Nov 2008 14:02

Oh come on........are you honestly trying to tell me that they do a good job?

If thing's ever did turn ugly with rival fans they wouldn't know what do do and they'd let any police on-duty deal with it.

There are certain ways to "police" fans and deal with members of the paying public. They stand there and expect the fans to sit down all game when if they looked across at the away fans the safety rules are openly flaunted as huge numbers stand all game and gesticulate all game.

When this is pointed out to them you're asked to go down to the concourse where they confiscate your membership card as you're being conceived as a trouble-maker. However they won't try to do it in front of other fans because they know it would cause a hell of a lot of bother. And they wonder why they are hated so much.

Let me guess....the only time you get out of your seat is to get your warm Bovril. No...hang on.......you're a STEWARD aren't you!!!

I say we should re-take Y26 on Monday night. Just go and sit in every available seat and as soon as someone is moved on someone else should go and sit there, and so on.

Back the boys....and re-take Y26!!!

URZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 28 Nov 2008 14:36

starliaison In brief Y26 has been freely used this season by people who do not have tickets for that area and this 'unreserved seating' idea is not going to be tolerated by the safety officer and the club,

It does not give the safety officer the excuse to simply demand the club stop selling tickets there altogether though does it? If people had bought tickets there it is not unreserved seating is it?
Again, it is OK for the club to sell tickets there when there is money to be made so it can't be that bad a problem to deal with can it?
There's a massive contradiction here in what the club is saying and doing.

starliaison added to that there has been racial abuse of staff (stewards and catering staff) which has led to banning orders with more to come.

So what? If the offenders have been banned it means they won't be coming back. That's good for everyone and that is appropriate action. How does that justify not selling anyone tickets in Y26 when they feel like it?

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 28 Nov 2008 15:44

Actually, until it's closure, I'd moved to Y26 this season because I was enjoying the ability to stand for most of the game. And it's nowhere near the drummer.

I'm just not a twat.

Reading Til I Die

by Reading Til I Die » 28 Nov 2008 19:22

rabidbee Actually, until it's closure, I'd moved to Y26 this season because I was enjoying the ability to stand for most of the game. And it's nowhere near the drummer.

I'm just not a twat.

Oh you are a complete twat. If you stand during the game you must have been told to sit down as a result of standing up.

No wait, don't tell me, you've NEVER been told to sit down and as a result you think the stewards to an excellent job!

So you're happy with this decision and you totally agree with it? If so, let those that oppose this stupid decision voice their disapproval rather than being the sort of person who agrees with everything the club does or just sits back and takes it.

I suggest you go and oxf*rd off back to near the drummer...or better still oxf*rd of to Swindon!

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 29 Nov 2008 14:45

rabidbee Actually, until it's closure, I'd moved to Y26 this season because I was enjoying the ability to stand for most of the game. And it's nowhere near the drummer.

'greed.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 29 Nov 2008 18:30

Reading Til I Die

I'm just not a twat.

Oh you are a complete twat. If you stand during the game you must have been told to sit down as a result of standing up.

Yes, often.

No wait, don't tell me, you've NEVER been told to sit down and as a result you think the stewards to an excellent job!

:?

Something of an odd argument, here. I have been asked to sit down often, and I do; I also generally think the stewards do a good job.

So you're happy with this decision and you totally agree with it? If so, let those that oppose this stupid decision voice their disapproval rather than being the sort of person who agrees with everything the club does or just sits back and takes it.

If you'd read the thread, you'd have seen that I am annoyed, and do disagree with the decision.

I suggest you go and oxf*rd off back to near the drummer...or better still oxf*rd of to Swindon!

The world must be really boring, always in black and white.

Look, I prefer to stand, as I find it more comfortable. I do also think it helps to improve the atmosphere. However, I understand that the stewards are just doing their jobs. I've personally never experienced any unhelpful or impolite service from a steward at Reading, nor from stewards at most of the away grounds I've visited. I suspect that this is because they treat me rather as I treat them...

I understand that the pressure for this comes not from within the club but from the local licensing authority, who can revoke the club's license. I suspect that few if any on here are actually in a position to know just how much pressure is being put on the club from those outside, and how much the club is trying to pre-empt that kind of pressure. Nevertheless, as it is, standing at football during the match is illegal, so the club are obliged to enforce the law. Why make the club's time harder? If you object to this, why not get involved with the Football Supporters Federation campaign, or even just get more involved with STAR. Personally, I'd like the government and the FLA to investigate the German model. However, given that most football clubs charge a massive premium for the "pleasure" of sitting down, it's not surprising that the football authorities oppose a return to standing, so I don't expect the government to change their mind anytime soon.

On that basis, I shall continue to stand-up for my comfort until I'm asked to sit, at which point somebody usually starts up a chant of Stand Up for Coppell and everybody gets back up anyway. I don't really see any point in getting overly angry about it, it only ruins the game, whic - after all - is actually the main reason I'm at the match anyway. I know for a fact that you won't achieve anything constructive by getting in the faces of some guys who have just been hired by an agency to keep an eye on us. Besides which, I'd rather have stewards in amongst us trying to maintain order than replace them with more police.

Now stop beating your chest so much, you'll only bruise it.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 03 Dec 2008 17:24

So, Y26 not available to buy online for Cardiff on Boxing Day.

Do I risk it and wait and see if it comes on sale when other areas sell out, or just go for less desirable seats in other areas? Maximum irritation from RFC

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 05 Dec 2008 16:01

This is riduclous

not seeling any seats in y26

but why

the stewards at reading reuin any atmosphere we crete especially clive doyle and that brown haired prick jeff

good on anyone who made there fellings heard about stewards at the cov game

coz its beyond belive atm

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 08 Dec 2008 17:19

rabidbee Nevertheless, as it is, standing at football during the match is illegal

If that's the case then why aren't fans arrested on the spot en masse by police when standing?

It's not illegal, that's why. It contradicts the conditions of the license issued by the FLA and local safety authorities but that is a completely different thing from it being illegal.

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 08 Dec 2008 17:57

Big Foot
rabidbee Nevertheless, as it is, standing at football during the match is illegal

If that's the case then why aren't fans arrested on the spot en masse by police when standing?

It's not illegal, that's why. It contradicts the conditions of the license issued by the FLA and local safety authorities but that is a completely different thing from it being illegal.

Standing for periods of excitement is not though. Therefore it is our responsibility to take a general interpretation of what this means.One could argue that the whole game is exciting. :roll: or not.

297 posts