Trouble Alert

239 posts
Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Trouble Alert

by Schards#2 » 27 Dec 2008 10:04

Typical stewarding yesterday, pouncing on non violent home fans for standing or gesticulating whilst ignoring 90 minutes standing, pitch invasions and missile throwing from away fans who might put up some resistance.

I remember a Reading fans being prosecuted for shouting "welsh w*nkers" once, wonder what he felt listening to the abuse raining down from the away end total unimpedid by the law.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 27 Dec 2008 10:13

Schards#2 Typical stewarding yesterday, pouncing on non violent home fans for standing or gesticulating whilst ignoring 90 minutes standing, pitch invasions and missile throwing from away fans who might put up some resistance.

A chap in Y26 was arrested after Chopra's goal for rushing to the front to remonstrate extremely aggressively when Chopra ran towards the East Stand. As far as I could see the fan was stood in the gangway hurling abuse at Chopra - not an uncommon sight at football matches. Now, whilst I don't condone this type of behaviour I fail to see why this is deemed worthy of arrest, whilst a Cardiff fan who runs on the pitch, towards the East Stand with a clear intention of inciting (if not actually engaging in) violence, is left to freely wander back into the away end.

It's these double-standards that infuriate me.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Dec 2008 10:15

^ 'greed. I really would like to know, from someon in authority, why this bloke wasn't nicked when he ran towards Y26.

philM

by philM » 27 Dec 2008 10:36

Royal Lady ^ 'greed. I really would like to know, from someon in authority, why this bloke wasn't nicked when he ran towards Y26.

It's not "fair" but it might make sense..

Arresting him could have escalated the situation and encouraged more rabid welshies to jump the barrier and defend one of their flock. If he had done it at any other time during the game i'm pretty sure they would have nicked him, but right then an arrest could easily have made things much worse.

What they should do now is identify him and take appropropriate action. I doubt they will though. Unless the media focus on these things they get buried, and the media are basically gagged to prevent any escalation. The stories are there to be written every week, they could be regularly showing pictures of coin-throwing, racist chants etc but they don't unless things get made public because of FA or legal action etc.

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 27 Dec 2008 11:04

philM
Royal Lady ^ 'greed. I really would like to know, from someon in authority, why this bloke wasn't nicked when he ran towards Y26.

Arresting him could have escalated the situation and encouraged more rabid welshies to jump the barrier and defend one of their flock. If he had done it at any other time during the game i'm pretty sure they would have nicked him, but right then an arrest could easily have made things much worse.

What they should do now is identify him and take appropropriate action. I doubt they will though. Unless the media focus on these things they get buried, and the media are basically gagged to prevent any escalation. The stories are there to be written every week, they could be regularly showing pictures of coin-throwing, racist chants etc but they don't unless things get made public because of FA or legal action etc.

If any action is taken against Duberry, Rosenior or any other Reading players, it is likely to hurt us more than a couple of Cardiff fans receiving banning orders is going to hurt them.

I personally hope this issue just goes away with no more fuss or any press interest.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 27 Dec 2008 11:09

philM It's not "fair" but it might make sense..

I doubt whether any such logic entered the heads of the stewards/police who dealt with this individual. I'd suggest it was just plain incompetence.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Dec 2008 11:26

philM

RFC's 'fear of escalation' constantly gives visiting thugs carte blanche to behave exactly how they wish. A zero tolerance approach for a few games would send out a far better message.

Thames

by Thames » 27 Dec 2008 11:46

CLOLueless CLOLive DoyLOLe.

Sort your stewards out. The yellow jackets sprinted for thier lives, and so did half the tango's. The only tango's that stayed were the thugs who wanted a fight, the same ones who are constantly heavy handed towards people of all ages.

Half your team are whimps and escape at the first sign of trouble, the other half are thugs who actually escalated the trouble.

Sort your boys out Doyle.

philM

by philM » 27 Dec 2008 11:49

RoyalBlue
philM

RFC's 'fear of escalation' constantly gives visiting thugs carte blanche to behave exactly how they wish. A zero tolerance approach for a few games would send out a far better message.

It should always be the approach. Pitch invasions, scrapping with security and missile throwing should always be zero tolerance. I've only seen Cardiff and Chelsea get away with it at the Mad Stad. ("Non-aggressive" pitch invasions don't count!)

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 27 Dec 2008 11:57

The few on the pitch after they scored was non violent really, would have soon drifted back into the stand.

As for the fella that was not arrested at the time, it could easily be that he was arrested not long afterwards, not like he was hard to keep an eye on.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 27 Dec 2008 11:59

Why not ask them then?

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 27 Dec 2008 12:03

Schards#2 Typical stewarding yesterday, pouncing on non violent home fans for standing or gesticulating whilst ignoring 90 minutes standing, pitch invasions and missile throwing from away fans who might put up some resistance.

I remember a Reading fans being prosecuted for shouting "welsh w*nkers" once, wonder what he felt listening to the abuse raining down from the away end total unimpedid by the law.

You're 58 years old, have seen this happen for the last 50 years and still whinge about it. It's the norm, get over it.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 27 Dec 2008 12:35

I really hope Im not sounding like"Not in my day"but anyone remember Bristol City at Elm Park I think in the late seventies would think this was just a tea party.The south bank run away leaving us older ones standing alone(About twenty of us)to duck to avoid the debris they were throwing our way which seemed like half the Reading ends terracing

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 27 Dec 2008 12:42

ankeny I really hope Im not sounding like"Not in my day"but anyone remember Bristol City at Elm Park I think in the late seventies would think this was just a tea party.The south bank run away leaving us older ones standing alone(About twenty of us)to duck to avoid the debris they were throwing our way which seemed like half the Reading ends terracing

82 or 83 I think it was. Remember it well. Also Bristol Rovers around the same time when Terry Cooper (their manager) had to go onto the PA system to appeal for calm. As I was driving away from the ground that day someone got beaten up on the back of my VW Beetle!

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 27 Dec 2008 13:02

Barnsley home one night in the 70's was worse, was carnage all down tilehurst Rd I recall, add to that the famous Easter game against Pompey, and Man U in the Watney Cup.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 27 Dec 2008 13:06

Dirk Gently
ankeny I really hope Im not sounding like"Not in my day"but anyone remember Bristol City at Elm Park I think in the late seventies would think this was just a tea party.The south bank run away leaving us older ones standing alone(About twenty of us)to duck to avoid the debris they were throwing our way which seemed like half the Reading ends terracing

82 or 83 I think it was. Remember it well. Also Bristol Rovers around the same time when Terry Cooper (their manager) had to go onto the PA system to appeal for calm. As I was driving away from the ground that day someone got beaten up on the back of my VW Beetle!

It was actually the Brizzle City game when Terry Cooper not only went on the PA but actually went in to the Town End at half time to try and sort it out.

ankeny - reckon we we next to each other in the SB - leaning over the 3rd barrier from the top laughing....

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 27 Dec 2008 13:33

Arrests follow Championship clash
Trouble has marred a Boxing Day Championship football match in Reading.

There were angry scenes as Reading keeper Adam Federici celebrated scoring a dramatic late equaliser against Cardiff at the Madjeski Stadium.

Thames Valley Police said four people were arrested for public order offences after a number of Cardiff fans spilt onto the pitch and scuffles ensued.

Police and stewards had to marshal supporters back into the stands. The game finished 1-1.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berk ... 801095.stm

philM

by philM » 27 Dec 2008 14:46

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Four held after Cardiff match
Dec 27 2008 by James Potts, South Wales Echo

FOUR football fans were arrested after yesterday’s Coca-Cola Championship game between Cardiff and Reading.

A Thames Valley Police spokeswoman said last night: “All the arrests were for public order offences, there were three for pitch invasion.

“But at this stage we do not know whether they were Reading fans or Cardiff fans. It will take a while to find out because they have literally just been arrested. They have not been interviewed yet.”

Yesterday City fans accused Reading players of inciting trouble after the final whistle at the Madejski Stadium.

Vince Alm, of Cardiff City Supporters’ Club, said: “They were making gestures towards the City supporters. It’s disappointing to see professional footballers acting in that way.”
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I wonder how often James and Vince meet up for a drink or two :lol:

Hopefully there won't be much more coverage. I'm happy that arrests were made but we don't need any media scrutiny over this - Doob's bum in the Sun, or the MJ-style crotch grab would not be good.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 27 Dec 2008 15:06

LOL @ The Welsh.

Until the horses arrived they completely outnumbered the hapless Reading stewards yet still didn't make a decent charge on to the pitch. And as for crying wolf about the gestures from the Reading players... simply laughable. The whole thing was nothing more than a lively bit of shouting mixed in with a bit of pushing and shoving.

The one thing I do find comical however is how they bang on persistently about hating the English, hating England etc. yet it seems to be the highlight of their year coming across the water the f*cking d*ckheads. They simply are THE most braindead of all the British countries. FACT. Send 'em back down the M4, blow the bridge up then build a f*cking great wall around the country. Nobody will miss them.

Why are they in the English football league anyway??

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 27 Dec 2008 15:36

You had me at:

Hugo Boss LOL @ The Welsh.

239 posts